Click Here to Login

Old 28 July 2010, 21:42   #1

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Serial number on trailers in UK?

Might be a silly question but just want to make sure. When You tow a boat trailer on a road in UK: It has to have a register plate and some paperworks along. Can i take it for granted that a registered /road legal trailer has a serial number the frame? Thanks
Old 28 July 2010, 21:47   #2

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
Mine has a plate but it is not stamped in the frame work,well not that i can see.
Old 28 July 2010, 21:50   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Trailers in the UK do not have a registration plate (they display the same registration number at the tow vehicle).

Trailers (except very old ones) in the UK should have a plate (usually near the tow hitch) fixed to the trailer which shows the weight limits etc. I'm not sure if this has a serial number on it? However, certainly with trailers more than a few years old its possible these will have fallen off or become illegible - so if it is absolutely critical to you ask to see a picture of the plate before buying.

I'm not sure if you can still legally build your own trailer - which also wouldn't have a plate.

There will be no registration documents or paperwork either.
Old 29 July 2010, 08:57   #4

Thanks for good information/ replies. Here trailers are treated almost like cars, own plates, compulsory traffic insurance(not expensive though), if braked(+750) you need to have it inspected/tested(mainly brakes and lights) every second year.

Why asking, is that to get a temporary tow permission (for a boat arriving to port on foreign trailer) for towing it home, you have to have a trailer serial number. Otherwise no permit or insurance. Think a plate is OK as long as its there.

But there is always the option to take it on a low loader, then not need to worry about used bearing and other potential issues. To later on getting it registered and road legal her might be bit of a challenge but can be done.
Old 25 September 2010, 15:14   #5

passed MOT inspection on my UK trailer

Along with my new boat came a Indespension rollercoaster braked trailer. Here short MOT description:
- Paymant, first registration of a vehile, 130 eur!
- brake test, brakes were fine( thanks hector) but need EEC approval of brakes. After some discussions, one of the manufacturer plates seams to have a suitable EEC marking, considered OK.
- Measure loa of trailer. If more than 6M loa, need additional side light. Solution, made stoppers for the extendable light bord "frames", thus no extra lights needed.
- Beam, measured 211 cm, if over 210, need additional red and white warning light. Solution, removed the mudguards made some tricks and reassembled, now 209 cm ok
- no reflectors, added 3 yellow reflectors on each side on the frame
- no front light, added 2 white light on front of mudguards
- light-board, fog light on wrong side, swapped and re wired to left side
After had done the repairs" time for recheck. 20 eur thanks. All details in "to do" list was checked, also measurement of the trailer was checked. Everything was OK, until " were is the serial stamped on the frame....?" none was found but passed based on promise to fix the serial on the frame before next MOT test within two years. Then got the register
plate
20 eur thanks, so the whole fun was 170 eur +parts 15 eur. In fact would have needed temporary plates( 17 eur) to move it from home to MOT station but did not bother.

Without the manufacturer plates no way to have it road legal over here so they are really essential. Tomorrow the SR 5.4 will hit the Gulf of Finland first time.......