Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 26 October 2017, 16:57   #21
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,976
What's your budget, that will define your choice somewhat. I've just gone through the process and gone for the Skoda Kodiak 2l diesel, much cheaper than some of the 4x4 out there.
__________________
Member of the Macmillan Round the Isle of Wight Club
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 17:02   #22
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
What's your budget, that will define your choice somewhat. I've just gone through the process and gone for the Skoda Kodiak 2l diesel, much cheaper than some of the 4x4 out there.


Not a huge budget (about up to £5500) definitely don't want to go down the brand new finance route and I'm not massively bothered about mileage either.

Another option I thought of was Chrysler 300c. They have plenty of grunt, self levelling suspension and are pretty dam cheap. Based on a Mercedes E class so should also be a fairly good option
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 17:16   #23
Member
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,203
RIBase
Would be nice if OP's acknowledge input. But heyho!!
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 20:44   #24
Member
 
Last Tango's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Another option I thought of was Chrysler 300c. They have plenty of grunt, self levelling suspension and are pretty dam cheap. Based on a Mercedes E class so should also be a fairly good option
Ok if the trailers braked....very poor "unbraked trailer" capacity, only 500Kg.

If the mechanics are similar to the Merc ML320 I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Mine's racked up about £6,000 worth of repairs in 10 months and I was looking at a potential £1,600 bill for a repair to the gearbox that "may or may not resolve the problem". Brake backplates, aircon control unit, wheel bearings, CAN bus issues, heater plug control unit, diff-lock control faults, radio problems and air suspension...No,No No.....definitely not the pile of useless sh@t that Mercedes fit. Just one expensive problem after another.
75,000 miles.....never been so glad to see the back of a car in my life.
__________________
Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 22:12   #25
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Ok if the trailers braked....very poor "unbraked trailer" capacity, only 500Kg.



If the mechanics are similar to the Merc ML320 I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Mine's racked up about £6,000 worth of repairs in 10 months and I was looking at a potential £1,600 bill for a repair to the gearbox that "may or may not resolve the problem". Brake backplates, aircon control unit, wheel bearings, CAN bus issues, heater plug control unit, diff-lock control faults, radio problems and air suspension...No,No No.....definitely not the pile of useless sh@t that Mercedes fit. Just one expensive problem after another.

75,000 miles.....never been so glad to see the back of a car in my life.


Hmm maybe I'll have to do some research, cheers
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 22:44   #26
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,510
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
X5 and others you get the benefit of both manual and auto thru thru the dual box so you can come up the slip in first rest then move to auto. I've never had a problem.
X5 is a good call, but you'd need a contingency fund if you bought one. Brother has 3.0 diesel auto, late E53 model. £500 road tax for starters, eats tyres for breakfast, suspension clunks on anything approaching 100k miles. Absolute HGV to work on too. Changing the air filter I had to use a small step ladder to reach it and yes I was actually in the engine bay trying to lever it out! Best bet is E57 model but not for £5.5k.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 22:50   #27
Member
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,203
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
X5 is a good call, but you'd need a contingency fund if you bought one. Brother has 3.0 diesel auto, late E53 model. £500 road tax for starters, eats tyres for breakfast, suspension clunks on anything approaching 100k miles. Absolute HGV to work on too. Changing the air filter I had to use a small step ladder to reach it and yes I was actually in the engine bay trying to lever it out! Best bet is E57 model but not for £5.5k.


Points taken but I still like it!!
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 23:09   #28
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Yeah the whole idea was to go for something cheaper to run haha
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 23:10   #29
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If the mechanics are similar to the Merc ML320 I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Mine's racked up about £6,000 worth of repairs in 10 months and I was looking at a potential £1,600 bill for a repair to the gearbox that "may or may not resolve the problem". Brake backplates, aircon control unit, wheel bearings, CAN bus issues, heater plug control unit, diff-lock control faults, radio problems and air suspension...No,No No.....definitely not the pile of useless sh@t that Mercedes fit. Just one expensive problem after another.

75,000 miles.....never been so glad to see the back of a car in my life.
I never spent that much in mine over 6 years [emoji848]
__________________
69cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 09:14   #30
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,053
RIBase
If you're doing that many miles a week and have the space why not just buy something like a diesel Mondeo over like just for running around to work and back?

I keep the Hilux for towing, but as I can do 600 miles on a good week I use something significantly cheaper on fuel and it really doesn't take long to make the cost back. My last one was a 1.3 diesel Corsa which did a genuine 60 mpg, and paid for itself completely in three months in fuel savings.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 10:39   #31
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you're doing that many miles a week and have the space why not just buy something like a diesel Mondeo over like just for running around to work and back?

I keep the Hilux for towing, but as I can do 600 miles on a good week I use something significantly cheaper on fuel and it really doesn't take long to make the cost back. My last one was a 1.3 diesel Corsa which did a genuine 60 mpg, and paid for itself completely in three months in fuel savings.


I was half thinking about that. Buying a car literally for just dragging the boat around and then an everyday car to put the miles on.

Had a look into the insurance and only being 23 it's fairly expensive.

But like you say it'd pay for it's self eventually
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 10:59   #32
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,053
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
I was half thinking about that. Buying a car literally for just dragging the boat around and then an everyday car to put the miles on.

Had a look into the insurance and only being 23 it's fairly expensive.

But like you say it'd pay for it's self eventually
Admittedly the insurance on the Corsa was cheap, but when you think

1) Doing high mileage means the value of whatever you drive daily plummets.
2) Doing high mileage in bigger cars means correspondingly higher servicing/consumables costs.
3) A £1000 car that you cane for a couple of years is still a £500 car after you put 40,000+ miles on it, and a £500 car that lasts 2 years won't even depreciate noticeably.
It starts to make sense very quickly. I expect you already have, but if not try talking to an insurance company about a multicar discount as well.As the guy at Churchill said to me,you can ony drive one car at a time.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 11:06   #33
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,856
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
.....As the guy at Churchill said to me,you can ony drive one car at a time.


Try telling that to Admiral[emoji57]
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 20:53   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,018
Depends if you can cope doing major miles daily in a cheap car/van and then keep a tidy gas guzzler for towing low mileage weekend runs?

But even a well kept low mileage big bus will potentially have big bills... but at least you can wait to save up for bill while running the small car.....

Peugeot diesels were always a good choice for cheap motoring
__________________
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 21:03   #35
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,856
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Depends if you can cope doing major miles daily in a cheap car/van and then keep a tidy gas guzzler for towing low mileage weekend runs?

But even a well kept low mileage big bus will potentially have big bills... but at least you can wait to save up for bill while running the small car.....

Peugeot diesels were always a good choice for cheap motoring


I used to swear by the Peugeot 2.0 HDI engine as bullet proof & economical. My last van had 3 EGR valves in 30000miles, the first one at 1500[emoji15]. I got rid before the warranty ran out.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 21:34   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,018
EGR blank kits? Tow quite well too by all accounts.
__________________
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2017, 21:58   #37
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,510
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I used to swear by the Peugeot 2.0 HDI engine as bullet proof & economical. My last van had 3 EGR valves in 30000miles, the first one at 1500[emoji15]. I got rid before the warranty ran out.
10 plate Skoda Fabia 1.6 diesel with 65k miles and EGR valve was blocked forcing engine into limp mode. My old style Audi 1.9 TDI and 2.5 V6 engines achieved 175k and 165k miles respectively with no issues. Did clean the air inlet manifolds which were gunked up and eventually blanked off EGR valve after that. One thing you can do (and only after a de-coke) is run Forte diesel conditioner straight into fuel filter. It's like a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart. Smokes like a F-type frigate for a start but clears. Great for injectors.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 13:14   #38
Member
 
Andy JC's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you're doing that many miles a week and have the space why not just buy something like a diesel Mondeo over like just for running around to work and back?

I keep the Hilux for towing, but as I can do 600 miles on a good week I use something significantly cheaper on fuel and it really doesn't take long to make the cost back. My last one was a 1.3 diesel Corsa which did a genuine 60 mpg, and paid for itself completely in three months in fuel savings.
My thoughts exactly Nos. I have an 06 Astra I've converted to LPG, getting equivalent of 80mpg. Doing 800 work miles a month means I make a tidy profit on the fuel claims and don't pile miles on my main car, which would massively depreciat it.
__________________
Andy JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 13:17   #39
Member
 
lukewhiting's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 968
So it's sorted... someone at work has a decent disco 1 he'll sell me for £500! Insurance is cheap on them as well.

So I'll grab that, ship off the kia and get a economic but nice everyday car for the miles.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm!
__________________
lukewhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2017, 16:16   #40
Member
 
A1an's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,889
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
So it's sorted... someone at work has a decent disco 1 he'll sell me for £500! Insurance is cheap on them as well.

So I'll grab that, ship off the kia and get a economic but nice everyday car for the miles.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm!


A decent Disco? [emoji23][emoji23]

You should get yourself an agent Luke, you're hilarious!!
__________________
There is a place on this planet for all of Gods creatures.........right next to my tatties and gravy.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 00:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.