Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 December 2017, 20:32   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
DIY Large wheel trailer for big stone launching

I have a launching problem. . . I will be launching the new SIB set up from the boat club car park to the water 60-120 meters, the sib and outboard weigh almost 100kg together and carting the 60kg outboard downhill over the the large stones is almost impossible as your feet sink in the lemon size stones a goof few inches, no lauching wheels or launching trailers will roll over the big stones they just sink, the only solution I can think of is a car or van rear axel bolted on to a ply platform as the wheels will hopefully be big enough not to sink? The plan is that it will roll downhill to the water and the club has a winch so I can winch it back up to the car park once built I could store the contraption at the club for others to use, failing that idea im thinking of just building a big wood sledge that we can push down to the water and winch back up. any other solution to this problem? The solid boat guys launch by pushing their boats down to the water on a row of plastic mains water tubes/pipes that are held in place on the stones with a rope ladder set up and recover the boat by winching back up the plastic tubes (the boats just slide over them the tubes don't roll and the tubes have to be dug out if the stones regularly) I could reverse right down to the waters edge in my 4x4 but have never tried as I've never seen anyone do it hence I think it would sink to the chassis in the stones lol
Old 03 December 2017, 21:31   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If your feet sink into the stones I'd be very wary of reversing a car of any sort down over them. Chances are they'd act like ball bearings under the tyres & you'd dig yourself in in very short order esp on an uphill slope.

You've said that wheels just sink in so I can't see a vehicle axle being of any use unless you want to use lengths of pierced steel planking or similar which you'll need to keep picking up a putting behind the wheels for them to run on.

Some sort of sledge over the tubes sounds like a good bet. Use of plastic tubes or baulks of timber for the boat to slide over is very common on stony beaches for full size fishing boats & the preferred vehicles are usually either tracked or tractors.
Old 03 December 2017, 21:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
If your feet sink into the stones I'd be very wary of reversing a car of any sort down over them. Chances are they'd act like ball bearings under the tyres & you'd dig yourself in in very short order esp on an uphill slope.
Some sort of sledge over the tubes sounds like a good bet. Use of tubes or baulks of timber for the boat to slide over is very common on stony beaches for full size fishing boats & the preferred vehicles are often either tracked or tractors.
Yes the native fishing boats there beach at speed then winch fully in and are launched by vintage tracked digger/tractors. I do think the sledge might be the best option, the boat isn't a problem at only 40 kg, when inflated it can be walked down by 2 people or even pushed down the rollers by one it's the outboard that's a problem and mounted on the sib it will not slide down the rollers so I guess I would only need a small sledge for the engine only, an old 2.5mtr sized rib bottom or even a end of life cut down fibreglass boat would be perfect for a sledge as they would have the V to slide down the rollers lol I'm even thinking about the kids plastic snow sledges but they are very thin? I need something light weight, tough and about 2 meter long a meter or so wide with a V bottom. . . .

I was suggesting a car or van rear axial as I could fit large 18 inch plus wheels on it, as apose to the launching trailers that have much smaller wheels. . .
Old 03 December 2017, 22:14   #4

Make or buy one of These, put engine on the transom.

Worst case put another 2 wheels on it to give more width.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fisheries-beach-trailer-2012-012.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	122900  
Old 03 December 2017, 22:36   #5

That's the type of wheels I need, similar to the type that was fitted to the snow modded Toyota 4x4 Clarkson used on the top gear artic North Pole challenge. Maybe off road quad bike wheels would be the answer for a launching trailer. . .
Old 04 December 2017, 07:31   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
tyrone snell trailers sell wide wheels i have some on my trailer see pic,
have you thought of buying a cheap kids quad to pull the trailer my lad bought one for £250 it was well capable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170224_081008.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	122902  
Old 04 December 2017, 20:56   #7

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
ride on mower wheels are wide, fix them to a dinghy trolley: Job done
Old 04 December 2017, 23:04   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
That's the type of wheels I need, similar to the type that was fitted to the snow modded Toyota 4x4 Clarkson used on the top gear artic North Pole challenge. Maybe off road quad bike wheels would be the answer for a launching trailer. . .
You can buy the big nylon wheels not cheap though or use a pair on each side with a track....

https://allterraintyres.co.uk/index....Path=1093_1319

https://goo.gl/images/ZV1xs6

Car or van axle isn’t ideal stick with a trailer axle.
These fit https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...ber&Country=UK. Normal trailers

If you want something from a scrap yard try and find a set of hubs that fit a range of wheels.
Old 05 December 2017, 06:44   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
How about using some inflatable boat rollers?

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-inf...l#.WiZON0GnzYU