Old 23 March 2007, 23:10   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
4m Searider trailer

Have just bought a 4m Searider without a trailer.

Will obvoiusly be looking out for something secondhand but what have people bought new?

Have an old indespension catalogue and come up with the following:

Cheap options? Coaster 1
Quality options? Coaster 1 swing?
Jetski trailers? Extreme marine seem to be offering these as suitable at not much money.

Hull length of a 4m Searider is only 3.3m!
I reckon fully rigged only about 300kg.

Any suggestions wuld be appreciated.

Just need to find out if 30hp is enough - had 50hp on my last one.

Cheers
Old 23 March 2007, 23:13   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Indispention do a cheap trailer for a sub 4m rib called the Vario. Only about £250 brand new. Failing that DeGraaff do a nice looking small boat trailer for about £450.
Old 24 March 2007, 02:45   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Mine's on a coaster 1 and I think it's ideal. The boat is light enough that it's not a problem having bunks-in fact I find them an advantage as I can load single-handed from a decent slip without getting my feet wet.
If it had rollers then it'd be harder.I powerload to halfway up the bunks and the friction keeps it there while I climb over the bow and walk up the trailer to attach the winch strap. I'm not sure I could do it without the guide rollers at the back of the bunks.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2007, 08:14   #4

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
I agree,

the 4SR I had previously, was on a coaster, the pro's outweighed the con's in my opinion ,The security was better on the road as the boat would have either slowly moved back if the the bow eye was ineffective (I forgot to lock the winch on numerous occasions over the years) or sat where it was.

another issue is launching,

Coaster:

Launching used to be; reverse the boat down to nearly in the water remove lighting board rear tie downs, front eye - horizontal/vertical. Give the painter to someone to hold, reverse the car/ boat until it floated off ,couldn't be easier.

Roller:

Someone needs to get wet, the bow eye cannot be removed safely until the boat is in the water, the winch strap remains tight, so removal is difficult until the boat is right off the trailer. This means the trailer needs to be fully submerged. or as is the case now I stand in a dry suite half on at the stern (to one side) and occasionally check the depth under the keel as someone else winches.

I don't like getting the trailer seawater wet, or the winch strap for that matter, if I can avoid it, typically into seawater to just under the hubs, whole structure still out of the water. I'm pepared to do the winching both ways (good workout for the wife)

I never thought about the implication re: stress/point loading with a bigger boat.. a big pro in favour of the roller.

Of course if anyone can show me an easier way I'm more than willing to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Mine's on a coaster 1 and I think it's ideal. The boat is light enough that it's not a problem having bunks-in fact I find them an advantage as I can load single-handed from a decent slip without getting my feet wet.
If it had rollers then it'd be harder.I powerload to halfway up the bunks and the friction keeps it there while I climb over the bow and walk up the trailer to attach the winch strap. I'm not sure I could do it without the guide rollers at the back of the bunks.
Old 24 March 2007, 09:30   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
The trailer I had with Greyhound was a roller coaster jobbie. I found lauching and recovering very easy indeed. Over the years the little clip on the winch strap hook had broken off so the hook wouldnt stay on if loose. This proved to be most handy. Simply reverse down the slip until the hubs are just about to get wet, get out, winch the boat into the water, once its in (remembering to hold onto the painter) give the winch strap a wiggle or two, and the strap comes off. Easy.

I had an SBS bunk trailer with a 4m RIB and it was a pain. Rollers all the way!
Old 24 March 2007, 10:22   #6

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
One or two idea's on here about salt water and UV leading to the strap breaking, don't know if that's true. (although it's another thing going against the roller) I try to stop it getting wet.

If you winch on a saltwet strap, the winch rots while you watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
The trailer I had with Greyhound was a roller coaster jobbie. I found lauching and recovering very easy indeed. Over the years the little clip on the winch strap hook had broken off so the hook wouldnt stay on if loose. This proved to be most handy. Simply reverse down the slip until the hubs are just about to get wet, get out, winch the boat into the water, once its in (remembering to hold onto the painter) give the winch strap a wiggle or two, and the strap comes off. Easy.

I had an SBS bunk trailer with a 4m RIB and it was a pain. Rollers all the way!
Old 25 March 2007, 21:46   #7

Engine: 90hp
I got a trailer flatpack from extrememarine - EML139 I assume is the same as what you are looking at. Good guy to deal with and I've subsequently bought 2 engines from him with no problems! Took a couple of hours to assemble but was easy enough.

It fitted SR4 well. Only potential issues were the boat sat quite high due to leaf springs on the trailer and trailer was a bit narrow. I never had any stability issues however with towing and it always felt rock solid. It's also got large wheels which is unusal in trailer of this size! I moved the boat quite far forward to get the nose weight up and it meant it was really compact and fitted easily in my garage. PM if you want some pics.

Launching was easy. boat was light enough to slide on and off the bunks without any problem. I just put in in till rear of bunk was submerged and it went in fine.

Should go well with a 30. Mine came with a 25 2s and did approx 20 knts 2 up.

Hope this helps. Great boats, you won't be dissapointed!
Old 26 March 2007, 16:13   #8

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I've got a small 3.5m rib (onviously not a searider, although I don't know who did make it). It goes well with a 25hp 2-stroke on it giving 26 knots with 3 large adults on board. I consider having the engine uprated, but I've decided it's not really necessary. I would have thought your 30hp would be ok.

Tim
Old 26 March 2007, 23:47   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Thanks

Best get out shopping then!
Old 27 March 2007, 00:06   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Another alternative

I have a 4m boat (not sr) on a bunk trailer. Its imported from the US - Eazyloader - UK distrib is stateside marine. Only reason for mentioning (as I am sure most trailers in this size are similar) is that it has "oil bath bearings" which might? last longer than the normal grease ones...