Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
OK, I'll bite
Council tax - yep, that's going up, not by much around here though.
I'll say it is, apart from the rise in everything else, council tax has doubled in 8 years !!

*Gets post in while I still can*.....
Old 01 April 2008, 18:27   #22

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Major rises due to the oil companies? I think you will find it's the world situation that causes the oil price to rise. Oil was down to $14 a barrel just before the Iraq war - says it all really.

Oh yes they delayed yet another tax rise. The price of petrol in the UK without tax is about 40p per litre - I could live with that!!! The oil companies have to find it - refine it - pay tax on it - distribute it and sell it - all for 40p - don't mind that at all..........

Parking charges - if you don't park illegally you won't get caught eh? What about all the car parks that are closing? Buildings being built and not allowed to have sufficient parking - yellow lines being put down where they have never been before etc etc?

I really am stunned by your attitude on fuel prices - blaming oil companies instead of the people who really deserve the blame - no wonder they have stayed in power so long...........
What stuns me is how short people's memory's are. Remember the fuel price escalator? When was that introduced? and when was it scrapped? I have no liking for politicians of any colour, I also don't view the past with rose tinted specs.

I'd love to pay 40p for petrol. I'd also love to pay zero vat, zero income tax and zero council tax. If the price of petrol is going up is entirely due to oil prices, why have oil company profits increased so significantly?
Old 01 April 2008, 18:29   #23

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I'll say it is, apart from the rise in everything else, council tax has doubled in 8 years !!

*Gets post in while I still can*.....
I think the most it has gone up here is about 5% in one year. Time to do that democracy thing...

cheers

Chris
Old 01 April 2008, 19:42   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
What stuns me is how short people's memory's are. Remember the fuel price escalator? When was that introduced? and when was it scrapped? I have no liking for politicians of any colour, I also don't view the past with rose tinted specs.

I'd love to pay 40p for petrol. I'd also love to pay zero vat, zero income tax and zero council tax. If the price of petrol is going up is entirely due to oil prices, why have oil company profits increased so significantly?
How can it be down to the oil companies if petrol is 40p without tax - think what you are saying!!!

Let us assume the oil companies become charities and GIVE it away - we would STILL be paying 70p per litre or £3.18 a gallon - that's if crude was FREE remember!!!

Yes I know full well who introduced the tax escalator - it was introduced when crude was quite cheap. the escaltor was a disgrace I admit - but this government escalated the escalator!!! They have also introduced massive taxes on crude from the North Sea.

Oil companies profits don't only come from petrol either - they also make loads of chemicals and others - the profits go to the shareholders - not just fat cats but people like my aunt and Uncle along with my Father and many others who have a few BP shares tucked away!!!
Old 07 April 2008, 12:37   #25

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I have a 5.7 litre 400 hp V8 pickup (sorry Ute) - do you think they mean me?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2008, 13:04   #26

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I have a 5.7 litre 400 hp V8 pickup (sorry Ute) - do you think they mean me?
My “Baby” truck V8 is 5.7…. the “Daddy” truck is 8.1 …do you think they mean me? Seriously folks… please keep using as much fuel as you possibly can… bad “thirst” to support.