Old 27 February 2008, 15:24   #1
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Euro NCAP tests Pick-ups

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...n-new-cat.aspx

The Nissan Navara didn't do too well! http://www.euroncap.com/tests/nissan_navara/317.aspx

"The Navara achieved an extremely poor rating of a one star strikethrough . Nissan consequently has now announced a service campaign with the intention of improving the airbag software of every Navara on the road since the start of production. Euro NCAP is currently assessing the modified car and will release the result as soon as possible."
Old 27 February 2008, 16:07   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
These NCAP tests can be very misleading. I am rapidly losing faith in them.

They tend to penalise heavy mass vehicles. A lorry for example would do very poorly against an immovable concrete block whilst a Smart car does very well. In the REAL world most collisions tend to be against other vehicles or things like lamp posts and trees etc.

A HGV would obviously flatten a Smart car and yet people get a false sense of safety due to the number of stars their car has.

The VW Passat I had on hire was a 5 star - it had airbags all over the place. As a consequence the lack of visibility was frightening - I know my Defender scores very badly - especially on pedestrian safety - but I honestly believe I have much more chance of seeing the pedestrian in the first place!!!

Here is a lorry crashing into a concrete barrier - a bit like an NCAP test. The lorry is totally destroyed - does that mean it's not safe to drive on the road? If it was to be given an NCAP rating on this test it would score 0...........

A Scania versus a Saab

Old 27 February 2008, 16:18   #3

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
My Touareg is a 5 star for the occupants and similar to your Defender for pedestrians! As I said to the ill-informed environmentalist who chose to use that argument with me "where are my family going to be so which rating should I really give a f**k about?".
Old 27 February 2008, 16:23   #4

I remember a TVR being slated on safety because it didn't have airbags or ABS. Of course they totally failed to mention it had a full roll cage and a multipoint harness - who needs airbags???

As long as you don't mount the pavement what the hell has a pedestrian to worry about? i remember being taught/whacked and whacked again as a kid to keep me from going onto a road in the first place!!!
Old 27 February 2008, 16:34   #5
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
You say that every time Euro NCAP comes up and you always mention a concrete block.

All the cars go through the same test - frontal impact is @ 40mph offset into a deformable barrier. Much the same as hitting another car or a crash barrier. In most crashes you’re more likely to walk away unscathed in a higher rated car.

The Navara has the lowest rating of any car tested

As for the defender - I saw one that had crashed with a 'small family car' on the M3 a few weeks back. The car looked destroyed, but the passenger compartment was intact and the two occupants had walked away. The driver of the defender however was still stuck, awaiting the emergency services.
Old 27 February 2008, 16:44   #6

So you are telling me that a Nissan Micra or Smart car will come off better in a head on against a Discovery or Defender OR a Nissan Navara for that matter just because it has a much higher crash rating???

What about when you load them up with passengers? A small car like a Clio could almost double in weight with 4 people in it - in a bigger vehicle you will hardly notice them.

"The NCAP results are reported in a range of one to five stars, with five stars indicating the best crash protection for vehicles within the same weight class." Note the "same weight class" statement.

You say the driver of the Defender was still stuck. They have been know to cut the roof off a Police car because someone inside had a bad back!!!
Old 27 February 2008, 16:48   #7

On a lighter note here is a funny crash of a woman in a Range Rover. Notice how rubbish ABS is in ice or snow...........

What i find amazing is that after she has driven into the lake/pond she is strill driving around!!I
Old 07 March 2008, 21:55   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I personally am not really that bothered about these NCAP ratings - a lower rating wouldn't really put me off buying a car.
Old 17 March 2008, 07:48   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
The Navara's been retested three stars now

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...ar-rating.aspx
Old 17 March 2008, 12:50   #10

Amazing - a massive leap in safety through a new bit of software and some "additional information" being provided!!!

Yes that has really restored my faith in NCAP.....................
Old 17 March 2008, 13:19   #11

Town: Cornwall
Mind you doesn't say much for Nissan either, needing a 3rd party to tell them their airbags weren't going off quickly enough.
Old 17 March 2008, 14:07   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Mind you doesn't say much for Nissan either, needing a 3rd party to tell them their airbags weren't going off quickly enough.
Went through a hedge in mine just after I got it and they still haven't gone off 2 years later