Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff > Tow vehicles, 4x4s, trucks, cars & bikes
Click Here to Login

Old 21 November 2009, 13:54   #1
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Car insurance - 3rd party for other cars - for both policyholders?

I recently renewed my car insurance, and as I changed company read the small print. I then realised that the policy covers me to drive the car, fully comp. It also covers my wife (as a named driver) fully comp. I am also covered (as the policy holder) to drive other cars 3rd party [with the usual restrictions]. However my wife is not covered for other cars as she is just a named driver not the policy holder. It looks as though the is the norm. Previously this is was not a problem as my wife and I both had cars and were policy holders... but we only have one car now.

Does anyone know if there are policies with "joint policy holders" or where my wife can be covered on any car? Its not a major issue, so not something I want to pay loads of money for, but occassionally (once or twice a year) one of us does find themselves driving someone else's car, e.g. if we've been mountain biking and the driver hurts themselves.
Old 21 November 2009, 15:37   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Pol try SAGA I have just renewed with wife named driver and she is covered to driveothers cars with owners permission.The other thing I like and why I changed was there emergency any driver cover.
Hope this helps.
Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 22:09   #3
RIBnet admin team

Billy - thanks unfortunately I am not old enough to qualify for Saga - they won;t even let me put my DOB in! I do like that emergency driver cover.
Old 23 November 2009, 08:51   #4

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
Not sure of many companies that let you drive other cars 3rd party if you are a named driver... hmmm.
Old 23 November 2009, 20:12   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Billy - thanks unfortunately I am not old enough to qualify for Saga - they won;t even let me put my DOB in! I do like that emergency driver cover.

Bloody Kids!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 11:42   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Would she not be covered by the policy of the car she's borrowing. They usually allow other drivers to drive with 3rd party cover under permission of the owner.
Old 24 November 2009, 11:54   #7

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Would she not be covered by the policy of the car she's borrowing. They usually allow other drivers to drive with 3rd party cover under permission of the owner.
No, you need to have your own policy that allows you to drive other cars 3rd party.

The person + the car has to the covered
Old 24 November 2009, 11:56   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Most insurers have been trying to remove the driving other cars extension as it has been used ( a lot) by 17 year olds insuring a group 1 car but then driving ' a mates' group 20 + car.

Usually additional drivers are not given the extension to drive other cars - just the policy holder gets it. The correct way is to add the driver to the policy of the car being driven , but you wont be covered automatically for this unless you have an ' any driver' policy - which are usually for clear reasons more expensive or only given on commercial policies.
Old 24 November 2009, 13:54   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Driving other cars is something that seems to be stealthily disappearing from insurance policies. Don't assume you have it unless you have checked the small print!

If you don't have it on your policy then separate short term cover from someone like dayinsure.com might be the best way to cover odd days. It's comprehensive cover too.
Old 24 November 2009, 14:51   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Driving other cars is something that seems to be stealthily disappearing from insurance policies. Don't assume you have it unless you have checked the small print!

If you don't have it on your policy then separate short term cover from someone like dayinsure.com might be the best way to cover odd days. It's comprehensive cover too.
Thanks - it was double checking the small print that made me realise there was an 'issue'. Thanks for the dayinsure.com link - it would always be my preference to add anyone I planned to drive my car on the insurance, and likewise if I/we need to drive someone else's car... I've found in the past that you can usually add over 25's with clean license etc for no extra cost for a few days. Bizzarely not everyone seems that bothered about adding me to there insurance if required - they must trust my driving more than me!

its just for those shit-hits-the-fan and need to drive someone else's car right now moments. I was aware that policies were increasingly cutting out/restricting this cover, and wasn't quite sure if spouses had originally been covered for other cars - looks like it wasn't (unless I want to marry a 50 yr od ). So whilst I'm not jumping for joy I'm happy enough that my (Esure) policy is no more restrictive than most and certainly less restrictive than many.
Old 25 November 2009, 10:48   #11

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Engine: ob 200hp
car insurance

look down the web there are brokers who specilise in one offs .i have one for the landrover .dont bother with the likes of churchill
Old 25 November 2009, 11:49   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul holder View Post
look down the web there are brokers who specilise in one offs .i have one for the landrover .dont bother with the likes of churchill
Do these brokers you find on the web pay out?

Do they handle claims efficiently and promptly?

Churchill, Esure, Direct Line and other RBS motor insurers do. So do Admiral group companies. I'm also pretty confident about LV and More Than.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2009, 11:54   #13

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Many insurers are removing the third party on any car as obviously their risk is increased.

Most only offer it if you are the policyholder and are fully comp.

some then stipulate an age, so over 25 for example.

Some have removed it altogether.

Key is, CHECK!

Direct Line who i am with offer it still, been fairly with them and offer spousal discounts, family discounts etc for multiple car policies.