Old 03 March 2020, 20:24   #1

Town: kansas city
Length: 4m +
Zodiac Hurricane Kicker

This sub forum has been a little quiet lately, so i figured i would post a bit of show & tell.

While I live in the landlocked state of Missouri, I do take my boat out on the Missouri river and down to the ocean periodically. Even though I have not had any issues yet with my 90hp Johnson, I liked the idea of having a kicker to get me back to dry land, albeit not very fast.

I had a 2hp Johnson for awhile but it was way too under powered. On a calm day, it would move the boat, but any wind or current and it was useless.

I have now picked up a 4.5 Johnson 2 stroke and bolted stainless steel to the transom to give it something to bite into while still protecting the transom. A solid piece of 1/4" aluminum was placed on top of the transom for the motor to rest on. I retained my full turn radius of the main outboard (just barely) and am very happy with it thus far.

Hope to put it in the water shortly to see how she moves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kicker2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	132281   Click image for larger version

Name:	kicker1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	132282  
Old 03 March 2020, 23:43   #2

Town: st. john's, Newfoundland
Boat name: TBD
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: MERC 75HP 4S
Nice work! Is that a hurricane 540/533?

I have a h533 with a 75 4s merc (same as115hp) and was trying to fit a kicker last year. I could not figure out a way to make it work, My transom is for twin engines originally (wider cutout) with the full SAR self righting arch. Looking at it now maybe I could have just squeezed one in.

Oh well, i bit the bullit and I picked up a set of Honda 50hp, going back to twins!

Tags
zodiac