Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBnet North America
Click Here to Login

Old 05 August 2009, 14:57   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
possibility of a New England trip this year???

I was looking to see if there are any New england ribbers around that would like to try to get together for another ride. Open to suggestions, Newport RI, Block Island RI, these are not far from me but would like to hear from anyone interested,. how bout it, had a blast when we went to the tall ships. just wanted to go on a nice trip before the boat gets put away again for another long winter....
Old 07 August 2009, 01:19   #2

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Hi Scott,

Hope all is well and that in spite of the rotten boating weather that you have gotten the boat out. The best bet for us is the first week of September (6th through 13th), Michele is on vacation, and I'm somewhat flexible. We would love to do a Block Island Blast.
Let me know what you think.

Bill
Old 08 August 2009, 01:00   #3

great to hear from you, I hope you have been well. Have you been outon the boat a lot this year. I just got back from 3 weeks camping on the water, boat is used mosty for cruising and kneeboarding or tubeing. Would love to try a trip again with you. That week should be fine for meAre you thinking a weekend or weekday. Im pretty flexible alo, talk to you soon, thanks
scott
Old 08 August 2009, 13:00   #4

We haven't gotten out as much as last year because of the crummy weather and high water on the river from all of the rain, but we are going out today on the sound. Should be a great day for it. We finally named the boat, "Blue Moon".

A weekend or monday, wednesday or friday, but with the weather we've had this summer, I guess that will be the final decision maker. Do you still have a friend out there with a place for us to tie up? Be great to be able to go ashore and look around a bit.

Bill
Old 11 August 2009, 12:15   #5

that sounds fine, hopefully we will have others out there that might try to get together for a trip????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 12 August 2009, 00:57   #6

Town: MA
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x150 Johnson
Count me in! I'd love a trip to Block Island...
Old 12 August 2009, 02:35   #7

great to hear from another boat. Hope everything works out for all of us, We just hope the weather holds out for us. the more thew merrier
Old 18 August 2009, 18:23   #8

still hopeing fopr the first week of sept. The Sat would be great, My son would be able to go, he starts school that week, but can still accomadat during the week if we have to, hope to hear from some others out there. "Where have you been DTUCKER?????"
Old 25 August 2009, 18:41   #9

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
I just got back from the UK and Ireland. Did see some sweet RIBs whilst over there. I may be able to meet up for an outing, but probably have to play it by ear.
Old 30 August 2009, 15:12   #10

Looking forward to the blast to Block Island, hopefully the weather will settle down. I've been thinking about where to put in and want to see what you think of either the New London ramp or the one in Stonington. Both are decent State of CT ramps, both have decent sized parking lots. The New London ramp would be a nice ride, out past Mystic, Watch Hill, Misquamicut, them on to B/I. The distance would be about 40 miles each way. Stonington would be a bit shorter by maybe 5-7 miles.

Either would be a great ride. Any thoughts?

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 30 August 2009, 21:09   #11

It really doesnt bother me where we put in. stonington sounds nice but seeing mystic would be nice also, Do you know when you would like to go, its a long weekend this week comeing up, are any of those days good for you? Ill keep checking back to see what you think.
thanks
scott
Old 30 August 2009, 23:36   #12

Any of the days can work, I think perhaps the weather report will be the deciding factor, as we can pick the best day among the three.
Here's a link to the N.L. ramp: http://ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=268...epNav_GID=1620

I think if we meet around 9:00 am, have a leisurely voyage to B. I. see what there is to see, have a nice lunch, plan our trip back to the ramp so we will get there before dark with time to spare.

We can firm up the day mid-week or so, ok? Let me know what you think.
sugatam: does that work for you?
Anyone else interested in joining us is invited to jump in.

Bill
Old 31 August 2009, 00:32   #13

thats sounds pretty good, we can keep an eye out for the weather, I will keep in touch and we can come up with a plan by mid week, talk to you soon,
Old 02 September 2009, 01:39   #14

Still thinking about going for a ride this weekend, I am looking at Sunday or monday that is good for me. The weather looks good all weekend so we are lucky there. Ribfan, have you ever been to block island? you said its about 40 miles ach way from the ramps you were talking about? Just getting an idea of what the ride will be like, , Ill check back tomorrow
still hopeing to hear from some others out there, anyone is welcome
Old 02 September 2009, 19:37   #15

Absolutely, we were thinking saturday, looking at the weather, that looks like the warmer of the days. Can that work for you? To answer your other questions, I haven't been there in years, and at that time, we got there on the ferry. We have been looking forward to taking the rib for some time.
I used garmin's trip planner software to get a mileage estimate and that's what I came up with if we launch in New London. Do you carry sufficient fuel for the round trip? Most of the ride will be within a mile or so of shore, it's not until we get past Watch Hill that we shoot offshore to Block Island. So, I don't see a real tough ride, no hurricane effect waves or anything like that. Do you still know someone on B/I ? It would be nice to have an idea about where to tie-up when we get there and know if there is a cost to do so.

Bill
Old 03 September 2009, 00:02   #16

I will see what I can find out about tieing up on the island, My wife knows the owner of ballards and when she ask her before about a place to bring your boat I was told they do have a dock , I dont believe it costs anything but will see what else I can find out about it, sat might be tough for me, i was hopeing for sunday or monday being a holiday, let me check and Ill get back to you soon. we should be able to work something out. talk to you soon
Ill send you my Phone # in a pm also so we can chat.
scott

Still waiting to hear from anmy others out there
Old 04 September 2009, 02:35   #17

Ribfan, just wanted to let you know that I can only go on sunday or monday. I am busy on sat. I hope this works out for you. The weather looks great the whole weekend long. . I have 2 11gal tanks for fuel and will gring another 6 gal. reserve. I have no ide how much gas Ill use but plan on topping off at the island. No problem there I believe. Your idea of leaving the dock about 9 and grabbing lunch sounds great. we should have a good idea on how long it takes for the trip back. We can plan our trip back as you said while we stroll around downtown. I saw the link of the boat ramp is there a ferry to block island that leaves from anywhere around there. looks great. I think there is a festival at mystic seaport this weekend. Will be be going by there? Ill try to find out anything I can about a place to tie up when we get there. ill talk to you soon
Old 04 September 2009, 02:44   #18

I also was wondering what you thought of leaving from stonigton? It looks nice also and a bit shorter. You had mentioned it before, just thorwing it out there
Old 04 September 2009, 06:19   #19

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
still hopeing fopr the first week of sept. The Sat would be great, My son would be able to go, he starts school that week, but can still accomadat during the week if we have to, hope to hear from some others out there. "Where have you been DTUCKER?????"
LOL Randomly checking in, it's been a while! I've been working as a principal in a startup, so I've been out of my mind busy. Have just given it up to take over an established business (in the marine trade), and look forward to having some more time (and paychecks!).

Can't join you this weekend, looks like a family camping trip to Maine. I'd rather go sailboat racing, or RIB to Block Delivering a sailboat from Marblehead to Tiverton by road tomorrow. Spent a few days on the RIB in Newport last week, getting paid to photograph a sailboat regatta http://www.dantucker.us/Sailing/2009.../9409162_jfMRS
Old 04 September 2009, 16:55   #20

great to hear from you again, too bad you cant come this weekend, perhaps in the near future. Love to get out and see how your boat rids. We will keep you informed.....