Old 15 January 2007, 04:04   #1

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Cannon Battles San Diego

Had 3 visiting ships engage the "Californian" on the bay today for the second day of Cannon Battles.
Needless to say we kicked their scuttlebutts
Even the "lady Washington" (Interceptor from Pirates of the carribean) got well and truly raked.
Suppose we did have "Home field advantage" though.

Made it even more interesting when the "America" sailed on through and out into the Ocean on a whale watching cruise.

Lots of photos on www.Bayshots.com ,under Sunday January 14th Gallery if you are interested in Tall Ships.

cheers Dal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011 (Medium).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	24243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029 (Medium).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	24244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109 (Medium).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	24245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199a (Medium).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238 (Medium).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24247  

Old 17 January 2007, 16:14   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Very cool. And great pics, as usual.

Finally made it out for a couple of dives last weekend. Colder than... it's supposed to be, I guess, at least here in sunny California; so I ended up bailing on a second dive on both days. Hands hurt too much after getting out of the water (air-cooling; was actually pretty comfortable in the water. (To be honest, bailing on the second day was due more to laziness and a desire for lunch.)

Did a quick whale watching run outside the Monterey Bay with a couple of friends on Sunday afternoon. We managed to be intercepted by a pod of about 150 dolphin (they were probably Pacific whitesides, as near as I can tell.) We stayed with them for about 15 minutes, motoring ahead, then sitting and letting them pass around us (no doubt pissing off the commercial whale watch cruise, which never could quite manage to catch up to them.) After that episode, we ran south along the Carmel side and saw a couple of gray whales, though not from very close.

Interesting occurence: With morning temps below freezing, and most people having 30 to 100 miles of trailering to get there, several boats had problems: 2 guys with two-strokes got intermittent oil alarms just after launching, 2 boats with 4-strokes got alarms while running (no specific cause ID'd.) Any cold-weather boaters care to hazard a guess on the 4-stroke problems?

Nice to be back on the water, though; the swells have kept me off for the last couple of months.

jky
Old 17 January 2007, 18:41   #3

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
Cold weather problems

Not too sure why four strokes would care. Unless they did not warm them up for about five to 10 minutes before driving them. I have launched my boat well below freezing and never had a problem (two stroke 70's with oil injection) but when I start them i let them warm up for about 10 minutes before going above 1000 rpm.

Jimmy
Old 18 January 2007, 17:05   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Beam View Post
Not too sure why four strokes would care.
Me, either. That was my point.

Quote:
Unless they did not warm them up for about five to 10 minutes before driving them.
Perhaps with carbs. With injection, that should not be necessary. But in either case, the alarms sounded well into the run, and after the weather had warmed up above freezing. Oh, well; wasn't my motor making noise anyway.

Quote:
I have launched my boat well below freezing and never had a problem (two stroke 70's with oil injection) but when I start them i let them warm up for about 10 minutes before going above 1000 rpm.
The fault on one of the 2-strokes was a low oil warning. Apparently the guy has the remote oil tank in the console (Boston Whaler Montauk), and the oil thickened in the line that runs through the bilge enough to starve the oil pump.

Not sure what the other 2-strokers problem was, but I assume it was temp related (that one cleared pretty quickly.)

jky