Old 30 October 2020, 07:42   #1

Town: Celje
Length: no boat
Which Search / spot light ?

I'm thinking of adding a LED searchlight / spotlight to help in case of any late evening arrivals to the boat arch however i'm a bit newbish in this and looking to an optimal solution.

There are quite a few lights around but i'm kind of interested in a LED 12V light, motorized with a remote control or panel control.

There are HUGE differences in prices and honestly i have no idea what to watch for.

All from Aliexpress with sets you back around 200$ (this below)

Up to a more quality (or is it?) and known manufactuer like Oscilati:

https://www.muziker.si/osculati-led-...spotlight-12-v

My questions are:

- is it worth putting a 700 EUR LED light to a Rib or am i overreacting?
- is a 200$ light gonna be crappy and problems (i've read some reviews of similar lights with frustrated customers)
- any suggestions somewhere in between the price and quality range?
- are LED vs classic lights so much better (in what area other than power usage?) or is there a limit regarding the wattage that keeps me from buying a classic halogen light like

https://www.muziker.si/osculati-clas...spotlight-12-v

Is one akku going to be enough to run this normally? Though i will have 2 batteries (one for the engine and one for the rest of the stuff like radio, etc -note i'm not doing the wiring myself but a specialized shop is).

Thanks!
Old 30 October 2020, 09:15   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbee View Post
I'm thinking of adding a LED searchlight / spotlight to help in case of any late evening arrivals to the boat arch however i'm a bit newbish in this and looking to an optimal solution.

There are quite a few lights around but i'm kind of interested in a LED 12V light, motorized with a remote control or panel control.

There are HUGE differences in prices and honestly i have no idea what to watch for.

All from Aliexpress with sets you back around 200$ (this below)

Up to a more quality (or is it?) and known manufactuer like Oscilati:

https://www.muziker.si/osculati-led-...spotlight-12-v

My questions are:

- is it worth putting a 700 EUR LED light to a Rib or am i overreacting?

- is a 200$ light gonna be crappy and problems (i've read some reviews of similar lights with frustrated customers)

- any suggestions somewhere in between the price and quality range?

- are LED vs classic lights so much better (in what area other than power usage?) or is there a limit regarding the wattage that keeps me from buying a classic halogen light like

https://www.muziker.si/osculati-clas...spotlight-12-v

Is one akku going to be enough to run this normally? Though i will have 2 batteries (one for the engine and one for the rest of the stuff like radio, etc -note i'm not doing the wiring myself but a specialized shop is).

Thanks!

Don’t waste your time & money. Get a hand held light similar to a Hella Bremen or a decent torch. Trying to aim a remote controlled searchlight from a moving RIB is next to impossible. Looks Gucci though[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2020, 09:20   #3

Okay, but i'm looking to use this more as a help for evening/night time arrivals where you need some sort of fixed light to see the sea infront.

I'm not going to fish with it or do search and rescue
Old 30 October 2020, 09:44   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbee View Post
Okay, but i'm looking to use this more as a help....

Help is the last thing it will do. You will curse it. You need as little light as possible for night work. Any bright lights are a hinderance. Even your own nav lights will annoy you. Trust me.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 30 October 2020, 09:56   #5

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Plus 1 on that. There is more ambient light than you expect at sea without light pollution from land. Any light on board reduces that though. Your only going to need a torch to navigate a channel in and then ideally someone on your bow shielding you and calling direction if it’s that dark
Old 30 October 2020, 10:51   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
agree with lads better off with a night sight than a search light IMO
Old 30 October 2020, 13:42   #7

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Agree don't bother. I have found the cheapest, nastiest lowest wattage widest beam 12V LED flood lights on Ebay and stuck one on the underside of my A frame with a switch on the console simply as a quick means to illuminate the deck whilst night fishing if you're trying to untangle a large fish from a landing net or messing about with fiddly fishing lines etc its handy for a few mins at a time but even the lowest power (12W ish) are a bit bright for that really. Generally a small headtorch (I really rate the LED Lenser one I have) is more than enough. On tricky nav having someone crouched at the bow shining a bright torch ahead to check for buoys / obstructions is sometimes useful.
Old 30 October 2020, 13:44   #8

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Make sure there is a way to dim all of your console lighting too, that can get a bit blinding at times. I used to keep a roll of black duct tape handy to cover the illumination from my fuel gauge and tacho for night trips.
Old 30 October 2020, 15:47   #9

Thanks guys - you've put me out of the idea of a fixed light. I'll stick to something smaller & portable.
Old 30 October 2020, 16:59   #10

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Agreed, I wouldn't bother - I always wanted one on our first RIB as it looked cool, but in general they hinder night navigation as opposed to helping it.

Of the clever rotating ones as well, I'm not convinced they are designed to take the stresses placed on them when mounted to a RIB that's bouncing around/slamming a bit. All the "proper" marine ones that were professionally fitted at great expense on friends' boats by the marina/boatyard where we used to keep our old RIB seemed to last only a couple of months before they fell off or stopped working, and that was with fairly gentle leisure usage.

Much as they might look cool, I'm very glad we never bothered, and I didn't even consider with the current RIB!
Old 30 October 2020, 17:05   #11

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
https://www.muziker.si/hella-marine-...ght-long-range

I've got one of these. It seems very good although the lead is a bit short / tightly coiled.
Old 30 October 2020, 17:59   #12

Town: Wirral, Merseyside
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Evinrude 200hp
MMSI: 235109239
RIBase
We got one of these just for launching in the dark to check for rocks etc. It is very bright but other than launching, you destroy your nightlight if you use any lights on the water, as previously outlined, even your gauges will annoy you at night. We have two search lights installed on our rib and we have never found the need to use them.

Dive Torch, Volador 2000 Lumens LED Scuba Diving Flashlight, Rechargeable Waterproof Underwater Flash Light Torches, 150 Meters Submersible Lights with 2X 18650 Battery and Charger https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MB5ZCK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pnfNFb55E9022?_encoding=UTF8& psc=1
Old 30 October 2020, 18:32   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
PI have a 12v (plug into the Consul) hand held Lumens waterproof search (Spot) light has helped me Big time in the past!.....Homeward passage Bristol Chanell in BIG Seas on a winter moonless night springs to mind
Its surprising how well white Crests are illuminated in the Dark!...which are otherwise invisible...a very confused steep Sea in 5m+ pluss RIB can be quite stressful in Total Darkness ....and certainly saved me a lot of potential trouble.

I also have an A-frame LED search light ( 1500+ lumens helm switch) I've used plenty of times to help set up my camping Tarp and sleeping stuff when I've camped on board ....also handy drooping people off on to the Beach or steps/Ladder at night.
Natural Light ....and more importantly planning is good!.....
Artificial light helps on unforeseen occasions when you may be caught out ...or you're timings are off.....and would surly be a boon in a rescue situation at night.
At least if you have them as Back up!...if the need arises you can use them!...if you don't YOU CANT!

I also have and carry a couple of water resistant re-chargeable QUALTY Flashlights (with spare Batteries) ...."Fenix" and "O-light" "Wolf eyes" ECT are unbelievably good these days!!...with small pocket models available with adjustable output levels peaking at of 600 Lumens or more!! .....The Fenix models also comewith a Head Band which is often a great addition.
A well protected USB Chargeing point for Phone Torches IPad ect (mine is in a waterproof Glove Box in the Consul) is a really good idea

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:04   #14

I was thinking of taking this:

https://www.muziker.si/osculati-port...ble-12-24v-55w

In case of any docking / moonlightless nights + a more quality battery torch just in case (i guess you need that on board anyway) - something submersible like Phill and Jane stated.

What do you think?
Old 31 October 2020, 09:25   #15

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I think what you've chosen is fine. If you find yourself using it a lot, you can always upgrade if you need brighter.

I'm a fan of LED stuff but there tends to be a price premium on it.

Around the boat, I find a head torch invaluable. It falls into the same category as a jiggle syphon - you wonder how you managed beforehand. You can get them with red bulbs that don't destroy your night vision e.g. Petzl Tactikka
Old 31 October 2020, 12:06   #16

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Interesting thread! What night vision do ppl use?
Old 31 October 2020, 13:29   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Interesting thread! What night vision do ppl use?

I use the inbuilt MK1 eyeball
Old 31 October 2020, 16:53   #18

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I use the inbuilt MK1 eyeball

Any news of a MK2? [emoji23]
Old 31 October 2020, 17:39   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Any news of a MK2? [emoji23]

Nah! I’m old skool [emoji6]
Old 31 October 2020, 21:45   #20

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
If you're mounting lights on the "A" frame aim them down and out to the side of the boat to illuminate the pontoon for both late arrival and unloading the boat. If they're aimed ahead all they'll do is illuminate the back of your head or blind you the first time you forget and turn round. If you're putting something on the console get it as high as you can and with as narrow a beam as you can get because the the spread of a "flood" light illuminates the inside of the bow and blows your night vision.

I can light my boat up like a Christmas tree but find by far the best solution is nothing but the legal nav lights and the instruments dimmed. The big stuff only gets switched on as I come into the harbour or amongst moored boats. (Or in caves).