Old 20 June 2021, 15:01   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Tachometer for Susuki 20hp run in

Buying a new outboard was a major decision for us, so we want to look after our purchase the best we can. We plan to properly run it in to both keep the warranty and care best for the engine long term. I realise it will come with the specific instructions but are there any tips or tricks on the best way to run in a new Suzuki 20hp outboard.

We were thinking of buying a cheap tacho to help keep track of revs/run times/miles and take the guess work out of throttle use, or are they not worth the bother?
For the cost we have looked at I don’t expect them to be that accurate or to last long in the sea environment, but just give a reasonable guide over the initial period.

Has anyone used a specific model that they thought was ok without spending loads of money?
Old 20 June 2021, 15:12   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
They are very worthwhile to knowing run times and revs for this period… almost essential. Also to check once full revs are allowed if you have correct pitch prop for your outfit. That OB came fitted with a random pitch but many were 10” which is a good start point.
Old 20 June 2021, 15:18   #3

Some info here….
https://www.rib.net/forum/f36/best-t...ype-71268.html
Old 20 June 2021, 15:27   #4

Also post #219 in this thread for what I have now…

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/elling...r-85449-5.html
Old 20 June 2021, 16:49   #5

Thanks for all the links and info contained within.

Will take a chance on similar one off ebay. For the money I will be happy to see the run in time covered and worry about the rest later. I tend to not believe in the stated water rating of most outdoor things such as lights and solar panels I have bought in the past. So always tend to "waterproof" them a bit more with a little silicon around any joints and wires.

Meanwhile slowly gathering any other kit i see.....just limited to what I can do without the OB, Sib and the rest being here to mess with
Old 20 June 2021, 17:18   #6

One says there is a ground wire...the other doesnt so will give one of them a go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373510189...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265116502...53.m1438.l2649
Old 20 June 2021, 17:44   #7

>>>slowly gathering any other kit i see.....just limited to what I can do without the OB, Sib and the rest being here to mess with

I was the same with the Elling delivery being slow... far to much time to buy stuff.

Really looking forward to the impressions you have of the new outfit when you get on the water.
Old 20 June 2021, 18:01   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I bought one of these. All fitted & ready to go, not had chance to try it in anger, but seems a decent bit of kit. I’ve had it running in the barrel with the laptop & the RPMs were within 50 rpm.

SEARON Backlit Digital Tach Hour... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LIVWE...p_mob_ap_share
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2021, 19:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>slowly gathering any other kit i see.....just limited to what I can do without the OB, Sib and the rest being here to mess with

I was the same with the Elling delivery being slow... far to much time to buy stuff.

Really looking forward to the impressions you have of the new outfit when you get on the water.
Probably scare the shi* out of myself.....but cant wait!

Has already cost me a new Gopro9 and a Osmo stabiliser thing for the better halfs phone as a sweetener for amount I have spent! She is excited to get everything up and running as well, and with all her gismos and her love of posing in front of camera, I'm sure it will all be well documented

Originally was told the OB would be end of June but Terry phoned to say they might be a bit earlier but haven’t heard any more. So soon be the end of June anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I bought one of these. All fitted & ready to go, not had chance to try it in anger, but seems a decent bit of kit. I’ve had it running in the barrel with the laptop & the RPMs were within 50 rpm.

SEARON Backlit Digital Tach Hour... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LIVWE...p_mob_ap_share
See these sold out on amazon dave but same one on ebay just with a diffferent name.
Like the idea you can set an alarm for max revs which be handy if I get carried away with the throttle when out trying to run in the OB