Old 02 May 2024, 20:04   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Speaker issue

Hey all,

I wired my VHF so that the comms come through an external speaker today, but when doing so it stopped music then coming through that same speaker from the Bluetooth stereo.

I tied the VHF wiring in with the Bluetooth stereo wiring for starboard speaker but it somehow then won't let music play through that speaker at all, even when the VHF is switched off. Other than a bad connection, what could be the reason for this?
Old 02 May 2024, 23:11   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
Is there any tone/hum audible from just the VHF? It might be putting out a constant signal (may not even be audible) so the speaker will be energised, washing out the bluetooth source.

If it also does it when the VHF is off then it could be that the bluetooth source signal is backfeeding into the VHF itself. You could add in some resistors to prevent this, or pick up a cheap passive mixer. You'll find them where-ever car audio equipment is sold.
Old 03 May 2024, 05:53   #3

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
Is there any tone/hum audible from just the VHF? It might be putting out a constant signal (may not even be audible) so the speaker will be energised, washing out the bluetooth source.

If it also does it when the VHF is off then it could be that the bluetooth source signal is backfeeding into the VHF itself. You could add in some resistors to prevent this, or pick up a cheap passive mixer. You'll find them where-ever car audio equipment is sold.
There's no hum which I noticed. Back feeding to the VHF was what I wondered may be going on. Could I add diodes to the vhf speaker cable? Or is that essentially what a passive mixer does?
Old 03 May 2024, 09:35   #4

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF15
You could probably add diodes but it would likely affect the sound quality a lot. Resistors is the way to go.