Old 09 October 2017, 00:36   #1

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Smart phone with VHF

Now the season is almost at an end and I don't be going out as much I tend to keep myself occupied with tinkering around with the SIBs, outboards and kit etc but I really don't have much to get sorted this coming winter so I'm going to order up one of these no name smart phones with built in VHF, I know kit like this will never replace my hand held icom but someone has to take the plunge on these lol, a good few years ago (must be nearly 7!) I brought a no name jingjong vhf transceiver from China for about £40 although I took a few hours getting my head around the programming software I did successfully programme it (including the set correct channel simplex, duplex and power levels,) to all the uk marine channels successfully, and to this day it works like new and although I don't take it out on the boats it gives me great pleasure listing to channel 16 and the weather reports. . . . Back to the subjects at of hand these smart phones that run android operating system (which I love) with built in VHF, I doubt this devise will give full hand held 6 watt TX but you never know! As I won't be going out baiting much now over the winter I will test this new VHF phone out by using it as my main smart phone and I think It will give me pleasure to be able to listen in on 16 without getting a radio out (I live on the coast with 24hr clear marine VHF reception) not only that I will also be able to programme in the UK PMR frequencies which will be very handy as we and the kids use these all the time on shore and out and about and hopefully it will save me having to carry a PMR walkie talkie!

I shall take the plunge and order one up soon and give you a full review after a good few months of use, heres the link for these type of smart phones with programable VHF for Now. . .

http://www.446shop.com/product/Pro1043.Html

This video suggests the TX power (from the RX feedback) is at least over 2 watts, changing the stubby antenna (if it's possible which is more than likely looking at a close up of the radio/phone video below as it looks like it unscrews) to one more suited to the 400Mhz range (about 17cm) would greatly increase RX and TX capabilities of the unit.

Old 09 October 2017, 19:38   #2

I've done a bit more research on these mobile phone VHF transceivers and from what I've been told and what seen on reviews and videos is that the VHF TX capability is very low around 1.2 watt and these radio devises are primarily for network PTT use, however it appears the RX reception is good which is one of the main reasons I want one, and with a TX of 1.2 watt it's still handy for VHF mariner communications, on ship and even a mariner emergency, if you can have a mobile phone with 1.2 watt TX on marine VHF channels why not!
Old 09 October 2017, 21:06   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Interesting idea has anyone put a basic gsm phone in a proper VHF? Would seem easier if smaller market?
Old 09 October 2017, 22:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Interesting idea has anyone put a basic gsm phone in a proper VHF? Would seem easier if smaller market?
That would be better. . . An icom or kenwood vhf tranciever with GSM SIM card capability but I guess there has been no real call for it and such companies are not in the GSM market they focus on keeping up and developing specific VHF communications solutions, I think the Chinese smart phone with VHF I've come across has been developed in China because vhf (mainly pmr walking talkies) are far more popular there than they are here due to strict ofcom regulations on them and here in the uk they can only be 0.5 watts TX power where as in china I don't think there is any regulation other than them being in the 400 band width and they can use the whole band unlike the uk whee we have 8 dedicated channels only for use in the 400 band so these Chinese smart phone VHF transceivers are sold un tuned, you buy one and tune your channels yourself which is not the case in the uk, any supplier of vhf transceivers in the uk must sell the programmed to ofcom rules.