Town: STOKE
Boat name: Humma
Make: Humber Destoyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Out b 75 hp Marriner
MMSI: 235068231
RIBase
Smaller but powerful Battery

Would like more room under helm . I have a medium size 12volt car battery fixed in place works well but it's into 3 year and want to change it
What type of battery would you recommend it powers a 75 hp Marrinier engine on a 5.5 Humber destroyer it also runs a chart plotter and Vhf radio
I believe gel cell are smaller but don't know much about apart from a little more expensive
Thanks Stuart
Old 09 April 2017, 07:20   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stul View Post
Would like more room under helm . I have a medium size 12volt car battery fixed in place works well but it's into 3 year and want to change it

What type of battery would you recommend it powers a 75 hp Marrinier engine on a 5.5 Humber destroyer it also runs a chart plotter and Vhf radio

I believe gel cell are smaller but don't know much about apart from a little more expensive

Thanks Stuart

Any lead acid tech battery will be a similar weight/ah. Gel & AGM are slightly lighter than a traditional wet cell battery but only marginally. If you really want to go light, you're looking at lithium, but these are currently very expensive & have special charging requirements. Also lithium & water are a dodgy mix.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2017, 12:43   #3

RIBase
Thanks For help,but I am after more space smaller rather than lighter if possible .
Money as always is a factor
Stuart
Old 09 April 2017, 12:48   #4

RIBase
Interesting Facts

FAQ about replacing lead acid with lithium battery
Old 09 April 2017, 17:33   #5

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Google thermal runaway before installing lithium batteries, particularly in the physically demanding environment of a rib.

Boeing have had the odd hiccup.
Old 09 April 2017, 17:53   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dials View Post
Google thermal runaway before installing lithium batteries, particularly in the physically demanding environment of a rib.

Boeing have had the odd hiccup.

And Samsung
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2017, 20:15   #7

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
How big is current battery?

OPTIMA® RedTop S 3,7 - Optima Batteries UK
Old 10 April 2017, 15:02   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Odyssey batteries are very small and light for their output current. But as with everything a small battery won't have as good a capacity.
These are really for racing cars and aeroplanes:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...cing-batteries
Old 11 April 2017, 02:42   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Ive always had dual battery and charger set-ups but recently went over to a single battery and just carry a spare jump starter instead Batteries Direct I was recommended to go this way from an outboard mechanic who makes nothing from the jumper system and heaps on setting up dual systems for those who insist on them.

This has proven to be extremely helpful as Ive already used it at sea to jump start another boat and twice at the boat ramp on other peoples 4x4's who have left their lights on all day flattening their battery.

Have a look the NoCo Genius Lithium Battery Jump Starter Pack as this type is carried by many of the marine rescue groups over here, some can jump large trucks and tractors.

I f you want to go with the expense, maintenance and weight of dual systems then go ahead. Ive also pulled the very expensive dual C-tec charging system and large extra battery from my 4x4.

By the way when I fish right through the night I tend to use rechargeable led lights and have most of my boat electronics turned off.
Old 11 April 2017, 02:52   #10

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Ive always had dual battery and charger set-ups but recently went over to a single battery and just carry a spare jump starter instead Batteries Direct I was recommended to go this way from an outboard mechanic who makes nothing from the jumper system and heaps on setting up dual systems for those who insist on them.

This has proven to be extremely helpful as Ive already used it at sea to jump start another boat and twice at the boat ramp on other peoples 4x4's who have left their lights on all day flattening their battery.

Have a look the NoCo Genius Lithium Battery Jump Starter Pack as this type is carried by many of the marine rescue groups over here, some can jump large trucks and tractors.

I f you want to go with the expense, maintenance and weight of dual systems then go ahead. Ive also pulled the very expensive dual C-tec charging system and large extra battery from my 4x4.

By the way when I fish right through the night I tend to use rechargeable led lights and have most of my boat electronics turned off. In 40 years of owning boats Ive yet to have a flat battery or break down, not bad considering Im spending 250 engine hours per year on my own boat and around the same on other boats both recreational and commercial.

Ive also been a volunteer member of the marine rescue and found flat batteries are not that common here, maybe the cold your side of the pond might make some difference. Keeping a battery fully charged and well maintained is also much easier on my boat kept at home and though I do own a 80 watt solar system its never been used since buying it 5 years ago.