Old 09 November 2015, 14:06   #1

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183

A question for the tech guys.We are refitting our Scorpion "Fast Forward "and have decided to replace the plotter,VHF,AIS & repeaters with all Garmin
We have the option to use MMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183 so that the instruments can talk to each other,we will be going through one VHF Ariel What is the difference and or merits of the two
Thanks
Mike T
Old 09 November 2015, 15:07   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183

If you have the choice, Nmea 2000 every time.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2015, 16:15   #3

Length: 7m +
I think NMEA2000 is easier to set up, is a faster communication protocol and easier to add onto. I doubt most of us would notice any difference when using stuff on either protocol.

If your setting up all new stuff then probably NMEA2000 is the way to go, im on NMEA0183 just becuase I had some stuff that needed that at the time, most of my stuff is Raymarine so in future if I do loads of changes would probably go down the specific networking route for raymarine etc, the alternative would be NMEA 2000.

There is some interesting stuff on the net about NMEA protocols that if your tecky wont send you to sleep, do a search.
Old 09 November 2015, 19:10   #4

Length: 3m +
Not convinced! NMEA 0183 is a fairly well understood protocol. I could develop an instrument and put it on NMEA 0183 today. If I want NMEA 2000 compliance it is a bit of a mare, and even when people do do it they seem to add their own extras which may mean things don't talk. Although you'd half expect all Garmin kit will talk to each other. That said I'd question the decision to get a Garmin VHF!

0183 is slow no question - like using dial up internet vs broadband. But that very much depends what infor you want to share between devices. Plotter -> VHF , AIS -> Plotter , VHF -> Plotter. AIS -> plotter will be the biggest volume of data, but even in the Solent it'll cope as there are only updates from each transmitter every few seconds. VHF -> Plotter tiny amount of data - DSC alerts / pos request responses. Plotter -> VHF - GPS data - small amount every second. The snag with 0183 is it is a 1 to many network. So only 1 device can talk. 2000 is like a gaggle of women - all jibbering on at once. So your plotter needs multiple 0183 inputs or you need a multiplexer.

Whats this "repeater" you speak of? If its engine data etc then I'm not sure you'll get that on your plotter screen from a 0183 interface.

2000 while people say is "plug and play" is not as simple as just connecting the 3 devices together in a line. You need to create a network. A lot more expensive than a couple of 2 core wires you need for 0183.

If you want images via the network (sonar, radar) you definitely need 2k.

There is a project to replace 2000 with an open network and if it works it will make interfacing MUCH simpler in the future.

Finally - any possibility you'll add any other devices in the future? What protocol may they want?
Old 09 November 2015, 19:15   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyshoe View Post
if you want images via the network (sonar, radar) you definitely need ethernet.
ftfy
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 08:25   #6

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Thanks for the response guys,we will go with the 2000
Old 10 November 2015, 21:16   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
or go both.

I have the boat on 2K, with engine & remote antenna talking to the plotter on 2K. however I also have my backup Garmin handheld which spits out 0813 feeding into a patch panel from which I can either feed the VHF or the plotter or both if I can be bothered drilling through the menus on the plotter to turn it into an 0183 repeater - all in case my 2K receiver on the frame meets it's end or more likely the cables get damaged.

OK there's a bit of extra wiring in the console, but it does give me a bit of robustness to system failure.
Old 11 November 2015, 22:17   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
2k is undoubtedly the way to go. Even a very brief google of 0183 questions on here will show you how difficult it can be to work with, especially when different pieces of equipment want to talk to each other at different speeds. If you're going Garmin then it makes sense to have them all nicely networked, all the cables come in the box anyway so you won't need to buy anything extra to build a network.

Bear in mind that if you are fitting two plotters then they need to be networked using the separate ethernet connection if you want to share radar or mapping between the two.

One headache with 2k is that the network needs its own separate power source, dependant on your engine set up there are a few options to consider here, especially if you are moving your engine instruments onto the network.
Old 12 November 2015, 11:35   #9

The key thing about NMEA0183 is if you dont plan things in advance you can quickly get in a big mess especially if your connecting lots of stuff.

Last year I connected a AIS Transceiver, VHF, Chart Plotter, Depth Sounder, Flux Compass Sensor, to a purpose home made NMEA0183 connection box I created. All worked first time, which to be honest I was pretty chuffed with and amazed by. And its still working.

My trick was to read each componants manual carefully about wiring connections and draw out on paper all the wiring parts, where connected and what inputs/outputs and baud rates etc etc, then carefully followed my diagram and all was well.

Planning is the key.