Old 05 November 2017, 18:18   #21

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
If I paid £100+ for a toy I'd want to be able to play with it.

The certificate is a secondary consequence of of the training the primary result should be that actually know how to use it.
Old 05 November 2017, 19:08   #22

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If I paid £100+ for a toy I'd want to be able to play with it.

The certificate is a secondary consequence of of the training the primary result should be that actually know how to use it.
the vhf isn't meant to be a toy its another item in my safety kit bit like a flare pack you wouldn't want to just set them off because you paid £70 for them anymore than setting your £200 plb off . and even though I haven't done the course I'm more than capable of sending a mayday or pan pan call with the relevant info should I need to .tbh ill be more than happy if I never have to use it . its all sorted now anyways so to end this id like to thank everyone for your invaluable help and info
Old 05 November 2017, 19:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
I'm more than capable of sending a mayday or pan pan call with the relevant info should I need to .tbh ill be more than happy if I never have to use it.
If that's all you want it for fair enough. Shame having all those channels if you're only ever going to use one.

I used it half a dozen times today when I was out for routine nav chat.........no phone coverage
Old 06 November 2017, 11:12   #24

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
the vhf isn't meant to be a toy its another item in my safety kit bit like a flare pack you wouldn't want to just set them off because you paid £70 for them anymore than setting your £200 plb off . and even though I haven't done the course I'm more than capable of sending a mayday or pan pan call with the relevant info should I need to .tbh ill be more than happy if I never have to use it . its all sorted now anyways so to end this id like to thank everyone for your invaluable help and info
I think being competent to operate the radio is more important than the certificate to use it.
I don't know of anyone being prosecuted for using a radio responsibly and correctly, maybe if someone is making prank calls etc or chatting about the fishing on ch16 then they may be in bother but routine correct use I'd imagine you'd have no problem.
If I was cost conscious I wouldn't be wasting over £100 for a piece of paper that no one will ever look at
I would however do my homework and know the correct procedure
Which by the sound of things is what you have done
Old 06 November 2017, 11:41   #25

What's important is that you have a license. It's free.

The penalty for not having one is a fine up to £5000 or six months imprisonment, not a risk worth taking, and I do know people who've had their licenses checked.
Old 06 November 2017, 14:27   #26

Length: no boat
MMSI: 235899980
Well that was fun!
Old 06 November 2017, 23:00   #27

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I never said you did. The RYA Instructor / Examiner who openly said he wants to part you with your cash did, while implying you couldn't have a VHF on the boat without someone with the ticket to use it was the one who thinks you are basically dangling you and your family off a cliff on a piece of thread.

Willk you are absolutely correct - I have had to make some assumptions by joining some dots. The facts seem to be:
  • There is an MMSI Number on the Boat
  • There is a new DSC radio being purchased
I have assumed that the existing DSC is absent rather than being upgraded. (Surely it must be - beerbelly hasn't started a 'should I upgrade my DSC thread!' or 'can anyone tell me how to get this DSC to work thread').

You are right. There may never even have been a DSC. Or it may have died and been removed. My gut feel is still the radio has been removed either to go on a new boat or to sell on. We all know reprogramming MMSIs is a PITA so the chances of the set being reprogrammed if the old owner he has put it on his
replacement RIB are low IMHO.

I agree that a VHF is a good bit of safety kit. I'm assuming some even more essentials like lifejacket and anchor are already sorted. Not everyone actually does agree. And the process of getting a piece of paper that no-one ever asks to see is very certainly a deterent.

I completely support that people should be encouraged to learn to use the kit. But its ironic that I can buy a 300HP RIB, with no anchor, no life jackets, never having driven a boat in my life and no-one can do jack sh17 about it. Yet as soon as I transmit on channel 80 to the marina to ask them to open the lock gate in theory if I don't have a certificate I can be arrested?

So my preference would be that every boat had a VHF and none had a certificate to use it than none had a VHF at all because they didn't have the piece of paper. While everyone says "of course you can use a VHF in an emergency" they need to understand that is a specific legal exclusion rather than no-one is likely to prosecute you for using it in an emergency. This would be different from driving at 120MPH to escape a forest fire. There is no legal way you can drive a normal car on a road at 120MPH. You probably wont get prosecuted for it if you were escaping a forest fire, and if you did a court may well decide not to punish you. But you'd still have had to break the law.

If you have NO use for a VHF other than in an emergency (or only use on M1/ M2 ;-) ) then it has to be better to fit the VHF without the paperwork to use it than to decide not to fit. That sounds like what beerbelly has currently done. As his ribbing evolves he knows he may have uses and plans to train.

My argument (believe it or not - I am on the side of we should train VHF users) is that when beerbelly gets into a spot of bother that isn't a full on emergency he may not use his VHF for fear that the Liverpool Lifeboat man will be checking his paperwork. So he waits while trying to fix the problem himself. That turns into an emergency. by which time the lifeboat crew are taking risks to hel rather than just towing him in.

Is it?
Yes legally it is - you are right, he shouldn't keep it. But IF he has how confusing will it be if beerbelly presses the big red button? That will be beerbelly's problem. The coastgaurd call beerbelly back, but by misfortune his reception is poor but the other guy is on the water. He responds he isn't in distress. CG tell him is red button was pressed. He says "Oh I must have a fault on my radio and switches off". Meanwhile beerbelly is drifting helpless...

Maybe that's an extreme example - but what is the risks for the boat being given a new MMSI?

Have you asked them?

I'm certain Ofcom would say exactly what Willk said. Contact the guy who sold you the boat and find out the fate of the old radio. When he says "Not me gov that sticker was on the boat when I bought it". Ofcom would then try to contact the registered owner they have. Who will not respond because the contact details will be ancient. Ofcom will then deem it safer to issue a new MMSI (there is no risk with the boat having an updated MMSI). I say this with certainty - because I know cases on yachts where exactly that has happened.

If the original owner moved the DSC from his RIB to a yacht that will cause major issues. If he moved it from one RIB to an almost identical RIB (similar size, colour etc) - would anyone notice.

Likewise if beerbelly simply applies for a new MMSI how would OfCom know this boat has a previous MMSI. He has now told us he is thinking of changing name so even less likely.
Everyone is forgetting the EASY and safe solution to this problem. . . .
Get online to ofcom and get a portable ship handheld vhf licence which will be issued immediately with a new personal MMSI for the handheld. But a DSC handheld and program in the new issued MMSI to the new handheld unit. You will have peace of mind knowing there will be no confusion if you press DSC mayday and when the vessel MMSI is sorted you will still have the handheld vhf with a MMSI (you do not have to use it as a DSC if you don't want to) and Keep it in the grab bag
Old 07 November 2017, 05:52   #28

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Thanks eeveryone and lee that is my plan i have on its way a new icom fixed dsc set that i will fit and program with the new mmsi that ofcom have given me many thanks for all the input folks JOBS SORTED