Old 02 October 2012, 02:37   #1
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Lowrance HDS Touch Series 7/9/12

It's all the rage to be talking about this now here in the states...announced today. The sounder version come with Structure Scan. Not much info yet...rumor that it might be an all-in-one transducer too.

HDS Gen2 Touch - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics
Old 02 October 2012, 23:11   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Dammit, now I have to wait again to spend even more money... Was just about ready to buy an HDS-7 Gen2. Actually, thinking about it, the price isn't all that different than buying the HDS-7 head, the structure scan unit, and both ducers. Hmmm...

jky
Old 03 October 2012, 00:47   #3
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Believe me, I'm jealous. I'd love that extra real estate. But, even though it's going to be an all-in-one unit, it won't be any cheaper (of course). I'm all in HDS-7 Gen 2, LSS-1 w/ducer, & Airmar P79 for <$1,100. Who knows exactly what the HDS-7 Touch will go for when you're all-in (BOE Marine - Marine Electronics and Outfitting - Lowrance, Garmin, Simrad, Raymarine, more!). I'm thinking at least $1,400-$1,500 w/ transducer(s)

I've just got to be happy with what I have...same thing goes for cell phone, tv's, etc. If you buy new, you just have to know it will be outdated in < 1 year! (though I did just get a new cell phone but it's a 10 month old model and my tv is a 27 inch standard crt that I bought for $199 in 2003!)
Old 03 October 2012, 16:04   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Have to look at it again, but I thought I saw that the package was all-inclusive: head unit, LSS-1 and transducers, for $1.5K. Of course, that's a projected, pre-release price, so who knows what it will really be?

My mom put off buying a computer because the next great thing was due out; took her about 5 years to finally lay out the money. Then she only used it for e-mail. Go figure.

jky
Old 03 October 2012, 18:37   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Hmm. Well that looks really good actually. The issue is the whole package which is one of the main reasons we went for Garmin over Raymarine and completely discounted the Lowrance.

Although the plotter may be nice, Lowrance have no alternative to the GMI10/i70 displays, and the LMF400 is pretty useless.

Although they have an NMEA2k radio it is not similar in design to the HDS series, so it doesn't look quite..right. Something that Garmin have completely nailed I think. The same is true of Raymarine, the new E series look really smart along with the i70 however the radio is useless and only NMEA0183.

They really need to concentrate on providing a whole package I think