Old 24 September 2018, 17:40   #1

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Makin wake
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 90v4
Help Needed

Hi everyone
This might sound stupid but I have no clue about electrics, my rib needs completely re wiring I’m happy to do it I just need the direction of how to

I have a vhf, nav lights fm radio fish finder and depth sounder and bilge pump all to be wired I have got switch panel blade fuse box and a earth bar and all the cable just need to put it all together now in the right way

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks mike
Old 24 September 2018, 17:51   #2

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
With no idea you have a complicated job in front of you. Each bit of kit should be wired independent of any other. Each needs a live and earth and should ideally have an individual fuse as well. Do you understand how to make a circuit?
Old 24 September 2018, 18:04   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Makin wake
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude 90v4
I understand each item needs to be wired individually with it’s own fuse and to switch

The bit I’m not 100% sure on is how to put it All together
Old 24 September 2018, 18:30   #4

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
My suggestion would be to go to Marine Superstore in Port Solent and buy a book on boat electrickery - I find having it in hard copy easier than looking at stuff on line.

In essence you take a positive feed from the battery isolator to a fuse panel. From the fuse panel take individual feeds to each piece of kit via individual switches. For the negative side, take everything back to the earth bar.

I'd really suggest buying a book and drawing it out to avoid making mistakes. You don't want Wave 105 coming on when trying to pump the bilges out / turn the nav lights on.
Old 24 September 2018, 19:15   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
The tricky bit isn’t what goes where but running it cleanly and neatly I suggest getting to grips with how to gauge, strip, crimp, solder, heat shrink the different types of connectors. How to use a multimeter, test a circuit and seal a joint...

Rig it all up at home on a battery and test it, then make up a loom test fit the loom then once happy install it.

Or just start and hope which is what most people do.......
Old 25 September 2018, 07:07   #6

Length: 7m +
If you do a search on google for 'typical boat electrics diagram 12v' and then click on images in the search results it will give a number of diagrams like this one that may help.

If using crimps get decent connectors and a decent crimp tool, a decent crimp tool isnt cheap but it will save you time, improve quality of the crimps and save your arm from aching.

use decent wiring etc, draw out on paper first a wiring diagram and double check it, if running wires through hull ensure you leave a small width rope through (at least twice length of boat) hull incase you need to add or take stuff out at a later date as it will save you pain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical-small-basic-boat-wiring-diagram-outboard-boat-simple-perfect-detailed-informations-cable.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	127009