Old 05 May 2007, 01:14   #1

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Garmin why so bloody difficult

Just spent a hundred quid on bluechart , and after a whole bloody evening I feel like screaming .

I put the cd in downloaded it folowed the prompts , then It tells me I need yet another version of Adobe , so I go find that and downlaod it .

i try again this time it tells me I need to go to garmin website for the newer version of what I Just Paid £100 for , so I do that .

Back again to the CD now I need to go to garmin again for the 8 digit code

each time i have to sign in , oh no It still tells me I need the updated version form garmin which I just bloddy dowladed . So I start again re insert the disc and it repairs itself which takes forever . OK I try again and it still tells me I need he updated version .

To cap it all the help line is permanantly engaged and its now middle of the night so I will be tired for boating tomorrow WITHOUT MY NEW BLUECHART WORKING .

sorry had to get that off my chest before i could sleep
Old 05 May 2007, 01:22   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
This sort of thing really bugs me - it's got to the stage where people use pirate software just cos it's easier!!!
Old 05 May 2007, 05:41   #3

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
So I start again re insert the disc and it repairs itself which takes forever . OK I try again and it still tells me I need he updated version .
I've not used Bluechart so this is guesswork but if you are installing a new version on top of an old version and it is telling you it has "repaired" the installation there is a chance that the setup program isn't replacing the old files with the new files.

Try uninstalling the the old version first, then installing the new
Old 05 May 2007, 10:48   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
This sort of thing really bugs me ..
Yeh, it drives me nuts too. It's a real pain in the arse.
Old 05 May 2007, 20:59   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Garmin Help

Ian,

I have recently been through the whole Garmin install lark, if you want some help then feel free to call.

07786 804141

Chris
Old 05 May 2007, 22:06   #6

thanks , glad its not just me . This is the hardest to follow most difficult program I have ever seen . You click on the next thing and it just disapears for ages , then just as you are about to try something something just pops up . I seem to have crossed last nights hurdle , now it won't find my gps when I plug it in , No wonder the helpline is permanently engaged .

Pirate software yes please if I could find it . Garmin deserve all the rip off they get for this shit . £98 for the cb and one unlock code , then another £98 for another unlock code . They can't even give you proprer help or instructions . What the hell would it cost to have the lot for a yatch or something , its a rich mans toy for sure .

Cheers Chris I may call you if get no joy with Garmin .
Old 06 May 2007, 00:36   #7

well have repeated the process a few times and its worked , that is I have got as far as it now finding my GPS , which it seems first had to be downloaded by windows and its id and software installed onmy computer direct from the unit .
Its a GPS map 76 c by the way .

Anyway all is going well i enter the unlock code start choosing the map areas get to the step where Its the small area choice ,I click uk south next page displays all the small areas but nothing there at the bottom when I click for the list , Iam now beginning to wonder if I have been sent the wrong blue chart I did call and they confirmed it was correct for what I wanted when purchasing it.

They should be paying me for all this hassle .
Old 08 May 2007, 21:44   #8

Called garmin , dealer sent me the wrong Bluechart cd . Its the large area version which should be More expensive , I wanted the small area , hence the reason I can't unlock the small area South UK I require .

If anyone wants the large area chart they are welcome to it for £100 , garmin told me the unlock code is still intact so the package is as new exept the box plastic package .
I shall send it back if no one wants it but would be good if somebody could benefit from their mistake
Old 09 May 2007, 08:53   #9

Ian,

I looked at the small chart version when buying my CD but when I looked at the added cost of unlocking areas it was much more expensive in the long run. I have 2 areas unlocked on my large version which between them cover me for most of the UK and Ireland.

Unless your never going to stray outside of one area it may be worht using the large version anyway?

Chris
Old 09 May 2007, 20:12   #10

Chris that works for most of the country but i need mainly the Cornish coast and the large charts all seem to intersect right in the middle of Cornwall chopping it into 3 sections on different charts .
It appears I would need 3 sections , and iam not sure my GPS would hold it all even if i could afford it.
Old 09 May 2007, 21:44   #11

Ian,

I dont think you have understood how it works, I have bought 2 areas, the Bristol Channel and the English Channel, each of these areas once I unlocked them consist of a large number of charts, in some case you get overlapping charts or smaller more detailed charts of a partcular area (such as cowes) within the main charts. You can choose to view all charts or you can select whichever charts you want to see.

The first picture below shows you the charts I have that cover Cornwall these are part of the Bristol Channel area that I unlocked. The second picture show in more detail as you zoom in you start to see the detail on the charts, some charts require you to zoom in closer to view the detail so you find that as you zoom in more and more detail becomes visible.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	26754   Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin 2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	26755  
Old 09 May 2007, 22:27   #12

I understand that i would need 2 areas to get what i need , which is twice the price of the small area thatcovers it all .
Old 10 May 2007, 06:37   #13

Fair enough Ian if the small area covers exactly what you are after then I can see why you have gone for it.
Old 10 May 2007, 10:38   #14

If I lived furthar up the coast , solent area then the big area would be best ,

We always seem to dip out down here

Thanks for the advice