Old 18 January 2004, 10:49   #1

Town: london
Make: avon a400
Length: 4m
Engine: 40 hp outboard
garmin 72 or venture

not sure whether to put this in here or in the wanted section but after going to the boat show i have sort or made up my mind i would like a 72 or a venture has any body got a second hand one of know where i can get a new one for the cheapest price been looking on ebay and nouthing has come up that take my fancey
Old 25 January 2004, 20:51   #2

Town: london
Make: avon a400
Length: 4m
Engine: 40 hp outboard
help

after a while now i hand me heart set on a garmin 72 and almost bought one but i have started looking at the Garmin GPS 3 so that i can put it in the car and use it a a mapsorce dose this unit fair well at sea and which one would you go for and could some confirm that you can put sea charts on it as well
Old 27 January 2004, 22:15   #3

Town: Dublin & Kerry
Boat name: Limanda
Make: Arvor & Valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: IB 85hp dsl; 8hp Yam
What do you want a GPS for? The Venture is primarily aimed at the orienteering market; the 72 is a sort of upmarket backup mainly aimed at the marine market - for instance you can connect it to an external antenna, but at the end of the day its just a GPS - it won't accept charts so its not a plotter.

The GPS 111 Plus is mainly for in-car navigation.

If you need the GPS for your RIB the handhelds have a very small display, and eat batteries. In the interests of safety you may be better off with a basic fixed unit like the 126 or 128. If you want charts you could try the 162.

As i said it depends on what you want it for. If you come across a unit that gives you in-car navigation plus marine chartplotter capability for small money let me know........

If you need more info on Garmin go onto their site and send them an email - they are usually quite helpful.

Mike