Old 05 December 2019, 13:23   #1

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Matilda
Make: Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda BF130
Garmin 551 to Cobra F57

Help! I’ve trawled and trawled but can’t quite nail it down: I have an existing 551 chart plotter but want to link to my Cobra VHF via the 3.5mm jack that’s supplied. The jack has a Green, Yellow and earth shielding. Does anyone have the same setup and can they tell me the proverbial what colour to what answer please? Also do I need to ground the dart that part of the shielding on the jack? TIA
Old 05 December 2019, 13:27   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Garmin 551 to Cobra F57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerStu View Post
Help! I’ve trawled and trawled but can’t quite nail it down: I have an existing 551 chart plotter but want to link to my Cobra VHF via the 3.5mm jack that’s supplied. The jack has a Green, Yellow and earth shielding. Does anyone have the same setup and can they tell me the proverbial what colour to what answer please? Also do I need to ground the dart that part of the shielding on the jack? TIA

you need the NMEA 0183 data out colours on your garmin. You also need to check the baud rates are set the same on both devices
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2019, 18:39   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
When I was trying to get my head around my NMEA 2000 set up, I rang the Garmin help line (0808 238 0000) and they were very helpful.

The NMEA 0183 system works by having a +ve and -ve talker and a +ve and -ve listener so if you have something that provides a signal e.g. a GPS, the information will go out on the talker wires. For the thing that is picking up the signal e.g. your VHF, the signal will be received on the listener wires so for the data it is a case of linking the GPS talker +ve to the VHF listener +ve and the GPS talker -ve to the VHF listener -ve.

I don't know what the colours are but the manuals for the garmin products are on line.
Old 05 December 2019, 21:56   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
When I was trying to get my head around my NMEA 2000 set up, I rang the Garmin help line (0808 238 0000) and they were very helpful.

The NMEA 0183 system works by having a +ve and -ve talker and a +ve and -ve listener so if you have something that provides a signal e.g. a GPS, the information will go out on the talker wires. For the thing that is picking up the signal e.g. your VHF, the signal will be received on the listener wires so for the data it is a case of linking the GPS talker +ve to the VHF listener +ve and the GPS talker -ve to the VHF listener -ve.

I don't know what the colours are but the manuals for the garmin products are on line.
This is the best advice you will get ,i have phoned the helpline several times and never failed following their precise attention to your questions ,they will tell you the answer and then confirm the details by email ,in addition i even think they know what gear you have from the incoming phone number ,last time i phoned regarding dashboard layout ,i ended up with 2019 map updates foc for two plotters over5 years old
i think the 3.5 mm jack maybe leading you up the wrong tree here ,i think from memory its all about blue and brown wires from both devices ,ring to check but i think you link brown to blue x2
Old 06 December 2019, 07:41   #5

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I think the jack lead is associated with the radio.

A look at the manual on line suggests the jack lead has a yellow and green wire, which is backed up by your post. The yellow is a listener -ve and the green is listener +ve.

On the 400 / 500 series, the blue wire is the talker +ve so I think green goes to blue and you simply ground the yellow wire.

I wouldn't bother earthing the shielding and certainly the manual makes no mention of it.

I'd sort of assumed having a name of gunnerstu and living in Salisbury, you would be either military or ex military and as a result I was happy to help but I've just had an unpleasant thought that you might be an Arsenal fan in which case I still hope the above works for you but that's out of sympathy rather than respect .
Old 06 December 2019, 07:58   #6

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Do you not have to also give them a common ground by joining the 0V of both devices together ? ( otherwise any signal in or out is just at some random voltage ) .
Old 06 December 2019, 08:04   #7

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Matilda
Make: Cobra
Engine: Honda BF130
Thanks for all the responses, Thanks GuyC; first to clear the air. Your first assumption is correct (military not footie)! I could bore you with why Arsenal is linked to my cap badge but it’s Christmas soon and I don’t want to spoil it for you!

Thanks for you help, I’ll give it a go and let everyone know the results!