Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
DC-DC Converter, great Item...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know about an item I ordered and received called a
DC-DC Converter.
It's a simple device which through a cigarette lighter socket connected to your 12 volt battery will provide:

1.5, 3, 6,7, 9 and 12 VOLT DC output. It saves using an inverter for radios, Nav Equipment and all the other little devices which depend on battery voltages less than 12 volt. It comes with most common plug/Barrel adapters and you can buy a package of 12 odd-ball adapters if you wish.

No need to use the high battery draw Inverter to plug in AC-DC Power adapters anymore.

It's from a company called "POWERSTREAM" (Powerstream.com) and the part number is:
PST-DC292

Check it out, it's cheap, it works great (up to max 2AMP draw). They ship Internationally. Just a great thing to have on hand to power stuff directly from your 12 volt SIB battery-directly. One thing I should say about it, only one output voltage plug at a time.
Old 19 August 2015, 14:59   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Personally, for anything on the boat, I buy stuff designed to work on 12V (generally it's rated 9 to about 26 or more.) Things like iPods or whatever stay in the truck.

VHF, chartplotter, and a handheld is about it on board. Then again, on a SIB you may need to improvise a little more, so...

jky
Old 19 August 2015, 19:11   #3

Length: 3m +
I'm not sure about exchange rates etc, but you may find a cheaper solution looking for a DC-DC convertor on ebay - possibly as circuit board that you may need to attach wires to. Some with fixed, some with variable voltages.

There is an increasing trend to use USB to power things so a 5V USB power source is useful. Can be obtained for < GBP 5
Old 19 August 2015, 23:57   #4
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Sure there's all kinds of stuff out there. I run two batteries; one handles all lights, bilge pump, downrigger..; the other Electric Trolling motor, search lamp..high energy stuff. The unit, which I posted the name to Look up, is a fantastic unit for operating lower voltage stuff (video players, radios, phones..almost anything NOT 12 volt. It accepts 12-30 volt battery input. BTW I have built two all-contained battery packs with four separate 12 volt outputs, a Cig lighter socket, solar panel, fish/depth finder... So I have an idea of what I'm talking about. As already promised will post a picture of the Battery pack soon. Scott.
Old 28 August 2015, 09:34   #5
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Here's the unit. It's small (not weather proof). Comes with a variety of barrel connectors and requires no AC-DC Powerpack or power-sucking Inverter. It can handle up to 2 amps output for 1.5, 3,6 and 9 volt dc output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 volt converter 2 to 9 volt dc DC292.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	108211