Old 04 July 2021, 14:04   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Battery box...Overthinking?

Am i overthinking a battery box mod.

To be able to use the Sevylor Elecrtic pump 12v pump (I mistakenly bought thinking it would be mains and car battery powered), I need access to a battery. I cant inflate sib anywhere near the car. The pump only comes with a car socket connection and I dont want to cut it off and void the warranty.

In the long term I think I will buy a rechargable pump as others here have done.
But I do have access to several different sizes of lead acid battery from 2.9 Ah up to a 12 Ah, so seems a bit of a waste of money for now.

I previously bought a few in-line fuse cables and a cheapo 12v usb/cigg socket thing to make a battery box to power my plotter/fishfinder and maybe charge a usb device
Now I'm thinking to use the cigg bit to power my pump but concerned it wouldnt work but havent got a clue really
Here is the info on what I've got so far :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284193230574

Input: DC 12-24V
USB Output: DC 5V / 1A +DC 5V / 2.1A

Lowrance Hook Reveal Details:
Power Consumption, typical: 1.25A @ 13VDC with backlight on full
Recommended Fuse Rating: 5A
Supply Voltage:12v DC (10.8-17VDC)

Sevylor 12v Electric Pump:
Says in manual For use with 12v outlets rated at 15amps or greater only. Do not use 8am rated cigarette lighter receptacle.
Do not change the plug in any way.
Auto plug fuse 15amps, 250 volts.

Or if that wont work should I go for something like below for inflating at home.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...=AU6YFLTEDTQM7
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...=A826DRICTOYH9
Old 04 July 2021, 14:18   #2

Bought a couple of second hand pelican cases off ebay originally for the gopro but would make a relatively small battery pack for the fishfinder that would last for shorter trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210704_151154.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	137949   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210704_151217.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	137950  
Old 05 July 2021, 08:51   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think what you are suggesting makes sense. Beware getting a seal on the pelicase to the switch panel may be tricky you have a ridge not a flat surface.

I wonder how long that battery will last with your pump? I’ve got an electric pump for the paddleboards and it’s much happier when the ignition is running than just on battery voltage alone.
Old 05 July 2021, 09:20   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
If anything, you're under thinking it. As Poly mentions, that battery isn't man enough for your needs.
Assuming that the pump pulls 10A (probably a bit more as the pressure rises) and it takes 1/2hour to inflate the boat (it takes me 20 mins with 2 pumps running) Theoretically, you need an 10 x 0.5 = 5AH battery, which you have....
But:-

A lead acid battery can only deliver around 50% of its stated capacity due to the discharge curve, by the time it's down to 50%, the voltage will be down to around 10V & the pump will start to fade. Lithium batteries are a different ball game, they can deliver high currents for extended periods until they are virtually exhausted, then they fall off a cliff.

A battery of 5Ah capacity will struggle to deliver 10A for more than a few minutes anyway, as it will start to gas. The battery will be permanently damaged & u/s after 1/2 a dozen or so of these cycles.

As a comparison, I use a 55Ah Optima yellow top deep cycle battery for exactly what you are trying to do, it lives in the SIB trailer & charges from the towing electrics. It will inflate the Volaire a couple of times before it gets tired.

As a battery to power your sounder/usb etc, you should be good for a couple of hours with that battery, as for running pumps, I'd have a re-think.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2021, 09:34   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just have a stand alone battery for pumping up at the set up stage... I've done this for years using my Bravo 12v. Oddly the bravo will run better on shorter leads connected to a small battery than with the croc clips on your car battery and the longer leads needed to get from car to SIB.... unless you have the car running all the time.

A 3.8m air floor SIB is easily inflated once with a good condition 7ah battery... a freshly charged 10ah just gives enough to do a 3.8m plus 3.4m SIB.
Old 05 July 2021, 19:06   #6

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
This is my battery box I made last year using a 12v 9Ah Battery and Amo box.

With the lock down last year I had time on hand and went a bit OTT but I am very pleased with it and has all the connectors and more that I need I even put Eagle Eye Lights I have never used them yet but they are really bright and you never know.

Below is the photos
It has a Central Switch which turns on the Voltage Meter
And activates the other switches to the
2 x Usb ports,
Cigarette lighter Socket,
2 x Bannana Jack's,
Eagle Eye Lights.
All switches have there own fuses.
Charging the battery is easy, I connect the charging leads to the Bannana Jack turn the Central Switch & Bannana Jack switches on and leave to charge.

Connected up his my Lowrance hook2 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_180623.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	137974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_180702.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	137975   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_180822.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	137976  
Old 05 July 2021, 19:09   #7

RIBase
Forgot to say the Sevylor 12v Electric Pump is the one that I uuse
Old 05 July 2021, 20:03   #8

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Brian, how close is it to the car when you're inflating your New Volaire!

I've got the same Sevylor pump but use it with a 10 mtr extension, which means I can inflate the SIB 15 mts away from the truck. Only ever once had to use the hand pump as it was to far away, which to be fair was probably the most exercise I've had in a long time
Old 05 July 2021, 20:36   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Sibfisher that really is such a neat and practical solution.
Old 05 July 2021, 21:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think what you are suggesting makes sense. Beware getting a seal on the pelicase to the switch panel may be tricky you have a ridge not a flat surface.
Also I dont have a choice of which size battery becomes available for me, and as a result I'm wondering if its a bit of a shame butchering a Peli case and if the next battery i get is even slightly bigger.....wont fit. Original intended use or even to store important safey gear might be the better option for the pelis the more I think of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
A 3.8m air floor SIB is easily inflated once with a good condition 7ah battery... a freshly charged 10ah just gives enough to do a 3.8m plus 3.4m SIB.
Thats good to know a 7ah or above should cope, I do have a older 12ah here now which seems to hold 12.78v for a long time, but not sure how it will cope once a drain is placed on it by the pump. Although a bit big and heavy for taking on the sib, 12v would do for the house inflates if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
This is my battery box I made last year using a 12v 9Ah Battery and Amo box.
Connected up his my Lowrance hook2 5
Thats a really nice set up. I bought the 7" so expecting a bit more battery use but how long do you get with the 5" on the 9ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Brian, how close is it to the car when you're inflating your New Volaire!
Got a good 40 meters plus Steve so the extension not an option for home inflations but be good to have a bit extra cable when out though. Think I'll have enough exercise just getting the stuff out and in the car without using the manual pump, but for home use it might be an option if the batteries I have arent quite fit for the job.....like me

Thanks also PD for the info. You've given me some food for thought, and as the 5.0ah was new (but free) it would be a shame to boil the thing!
The smaller batteries I get do often come in pairs which I could joint parallel to increase the capacity but recently theyve only been 3.2ah each so maybe fine for the lowrance but still not much cope for the 10/13amp pull of the pump.
Had a look at your set up in a previous post of yours.
All I've got to do is persuade my contractors that lithium is the way forward as prices fall, then I might get a supply if I speak nicely.
I think I'll pick up a cheapo cigg extension/croc clip socket things.
Old 06 July 2021, 10:24   #11

Connected to the above...what wiring did you use inside your battery boxes?

I have various rolls of wire lying around and wondered about just stripping off the outer insulation and using the inside insulated wires just to use it up and save buying!

Any reason why not?

I've got any amount of fp200 gold 1.5mm 2 core fire alarm wire (which is probably too stiff to work with).

Plus ordinary heat resistant house wiring below:
3 core 1.00mm flexi
2 core 0.75 mm flexi.
2 core 1.5mm (27 strand) flexi cable which Ive found relatively easy to use as a trial already, but just wanted to check if wires are suitable for the expected box loads of finder, mobile etc.

have ordered a 12 volt adapter with clips for powering the pump off the bigger battery direct for sib garden setup (hopefully this weekend) which will mean I don't have to snip the original plug off the air pump and not fry my smaller capacity batteries

Cheers for the advice in advance once again
Old 06 July 2021, 11:11   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Connected to the above...what wiring did you use inside your battery boxes?

I have various rolls of wire lying around and wondered about just stripping off the outer insulation and using the inside insulated wires just to use it up and save buying!

Any reason why not?

I've got any amount of fp200 gold 1.5mm 2 core fire alarm wire (which is probably too stiff to work with).

Plus ordinary heat resistant house wiring below:

3 core 1.00mm flexi

2 core 0.75 mm flexi.

2 core 1.5mm (27 strand) flexi cable which Ive found relatively easy to use as a trial already, but just wanted to check if wires are suitable for the expected box loads of finder, mobile etc.

have ordered a 12 volt adapter with clips for powering the pump off the bigger battery direct for sib garden setup (hopefully this weekend) which will mean I don't have to snip the original plug off the air pump and not fry my smaller capacity batteries

Cheers for the advice in advance once again

I used tinned marine stranded singles, as I had it around. I wouldn’t use solid core T&E. As a minimum I’d use automotive stranded single core of the appropriate size. Putting crimps onto solid core is iffy & solid core isn’t designed for movement & vibration, it’ll fracture over time.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 July 2021, 11:15   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Sibfisher that really is such a neat and practical solution.
Thanks for the compliment,