Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Yammy F115 4s - Speedo question

Hi all.

Does anyone know where the display for the Yammy F115 4s gets its speedo reading from, is it from a sensor on the lower part of the engine/gearbox or is there likely to be a log type device that it uses in/on the hull?

The reason I ask, is that I have found a device under a deck hatch that resembles a through hull transducer (even though the boat has no sounder fitted). The device is round, sits in a plastic mount that is bonded to the lower hull and has a red and black wire coming out of it, both sealed with white "gunk".

The wires for the device disappear under the deck and then up inside the console and I haven't found where they end up yet. It's a bit of a snakes wedding of wires in there til I get to sort it out!

I haven't got a photo of it but will try to take one soon.

In the mean time if anyone can tell me what it is (or likely to be) that would be good.

Thanks!
Old 03 December 2013, 12:59   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Hi all.

Does anyone know where the display for the Yammy F115 4s gets its speedo reading from, is it from a sensor on the lower part of the engine/gearbox or is there likely to be a log type device that it uses in/on the hull?

The reason I ask, is that I have found a device under a deck hatch that resembles a through hull transducer (even though the boat has no sounder fitted). The device is round, sits in a plastic mount that is bonded to the lower hull and has a red and black wire coming out of it, both sealed with white "gunk".

The wires for the device disappear under the deck and then up inside the console and I haven't found where they end up yet. It's a bit of a snakes wedding of wires in there til I get to sort it out!

I haven't got a photo of it but will try to take one soon.

In the mean time if anyone can tell me what it is (or likely to be) that would be good.

Thanks!
The pitot 'hole' should be on the front of the gearbox casing - its tiny - feeding a tube that appears out from the cowling. which will then run to your speed instrument - which has spigot on the back that the small platic tube pushes on to......

or you may have a paddle wheel speed sensor ( which may or may not be accurate ) - it looks like a err small paddel wheel mounted outside of the transom / bottom of hull.

The in hull thingy will be a transducer - which will tell you depth and if fishes may be under you ............which should be wired to a chartplotter or fish finder or gauge showing depth and pictures of fish.
Old 03 December 2013, 13:08   #3

RIBase
There's definitely no paddle/propellor on the hull/transom so it must be via the pitot hole then (I did wonder what hole on the front of the gearbox casing was for).

In that case it appears I have a transducer fitted with no chartplotter capable of using it (Raymarine 435i that came with the boat isn't compatible with a sounder/fishfinder).

Looks like I might save myself some money if I do upgrade to a FF/chartplotter combo by not having to buy a transducer then! (Assuming it works, and I can find the end of the wires of course).

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03 December 2013, 15:38   #4

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Looks like I might save myself some money if I do upgrade to a FF/chartplotter combo by not having to buy a transducer then! (Assuming it works, and I can find the end of the wires of course.
As a general rule transducers are propriatary so you'll need a new one. On the lower to mid range sounders they come with transducers anyway.

Modern transducers also use coax wire with a moulded plug for the back end of the control head/screen, not 2 loose wires. So I think you have something else bonded into your hull, probably a speed sensor paddle wheel or??
Old 03 December 2013, 15:50   #5

RIBase
I did wonder as most transducers I've seen have only the one wire on it. The unit definitely has a red and a black cable coming out of it, and there's nothing protruding from the hull underneath it (so no paddle-wheel).

Curious!
Old 03 December 2013, 16:04   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Butchered bilge pump maybe?