Old 21 February 2015, 10:09   #1
ljs

Town: exeter
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 90
Yamaha 90 2s

Hi, my son and I have a Cobra 5.4 with a Yam 90, in excellent condition, almost looks like new, we believe it's from about 2004 with approx 200 hrs running. Looking at changing to an Etec or Optimax but have no idea of the value of the Yam. Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable amount we'd expect to get for it?
Only reason for looking at changing is the fuel consumption, seems rather thirsty compared to my last Cobra which had a Merc 150 Optimax which used about half the fuel of the Yam. It's the carrying of heavy fuel tanks over a railway bridge and quite a way down a river bank that's the issue for us!
Old 21 February 2015, 10:43   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljs View Post
Hi, my son and I have a Cobra 5.4 with a Yam 90, in excellent condition, almost looks like new, we believe it's from about 2004 with approx 200 hrs running. Looking at changing to an Etec or Optimax but have no idea of the value of the Yam. Any suggestions as to what would be a reasonable amount we'd expect to get for it?
The Yam 90 2/ is sought after. It is popular with SR5.4 owners as it provides a nice, light weight, highly reliable engine with plenty of oomph.

BUT -its still an 11 yr old engine and so anyone buying it is doing so because they have a budget restriction. If you get more than 25% of the equivalent new Etec then I think you'll be doing well.

Quote:
Only reason for looking at changing is the fuel consumption, seems rather thirsty compared to my last Cobra which had a Merc 150 Optimax which used about half the fuel of the Yam. It's the carrying of heavy fuel tanks over a railway bridge and quite a way down a river bank that's the issue for us!
buying a trolley or a fuel tank with wheels might be a far less expensive way to solve the issue! afterall you will still need to lug fuel to the new engine. As a general rule most people think a modern 4 stroke is about 25% more efficient than an old 2 stroke. If you are seeing 50% difference then are you comparing apples with apples? e.g. was the 150 sitting being used gently when the 90 was a WOT... I didn't know Cobra did anything as small as a 5.4 but I'm guessing 90 will be about its limt.
Old 21 February 2015, 12:22   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Reckon you could still get £2,600 for it. If it's in excellent condition, you've documented history and sell remotes and gauges too.

As a guide there's a 2008 (which is rare for these lurvely jubbly 2-strokes) at Bill (not the cheapest) Higham for £3,499.
Buy Used Outboards yamaha 2008 model with low hours 90.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine

Also a Mariner 90 ELPTO at Seamark Nunn. It doesn't give details of age, other than low hours, which can always be contested if there's no hour-meter for £2,450.
http://www.seamarknunn.co.uk/download/usedob/used.pdf

Dealer prices usually include limited 3-6 month warranty, so drop say another £300-400 from them if you were buying privately.
Old 21 February 2015, 15:34   #4
ljs

Town: exeter
Make: zodiac
Engine: 90
Thanks, I was thinking around the £2K mark. It does have an hour meter, from memory it's a bit below 200 hours but there's no documented service history (we've only had the RIB for about 9 months). Trying to weigh up our options, maybe sell the Whole rig and look for something with a more economical engine. Although we both like the Cobra and it's sea handling, better than any RIB we've had in the past, and the layout suits us well.

Decisions, decisions................
Old 21 February 2015, 16:58   #5

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
The amount of fuel savings depends on what speed range the boat is used on. At idle and "trolling" speeds the old 2 smoke is consuming much more than modern engines.

Would say that up to roughly 70 % of wot rpm, cruising speeds, there are savings to be made, at higher RPM's the consumption differences starts to diminish going down to 15-10% or possible even less. The Yam consumes at WOT low thirties, OPTi and ETECH close to 30 L/H. A Honda BF 90 is supposed to burn mid/high thirties at wot.

Value depreciation on a new engine is probably also faster than on the Yam so that also takes a bite from the fuel savings. On the other hand new is always new, new engines makes also much less noise than old 2 smokers.
Old 13 March 2015, 13:21   #6

Town: Bournemouth
Length: 6m +
Keep the Yam 90 - I had one on my Ribeye 6m and although a bit on the small side it was very reliable and quite quick on the pick up and top speed - 30kts.