Old 27 August 2020, 15:55   #1

Town: Eastbourne
Length: 3m +
Yam 25hp 2s Charging socket

Hi All

I picked up a 2006 yam 25hp two stroke last week and there is what looks like a charging socket.
Is there an adaptor I can use to change it to usb and will it charge my vhf , phone etc ?
Thanks
Old 27 August 2020, 17:38   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Hi All

I picked up a 2006 yam 25hp two stroke last week and there is what looks like a charging socket.
Is there an adaptor I can use to change it to usb and will it charge my vhf , phone etc ?
Thanks
I assume what you have is a power output for "lights". It probably is a.c. rather than d.c. and will probably not be well regulated at 12V - perhaps giving anything from 6-18V or maybe worse! For traditional incandescent filament light bulbs this doesn't matter - they work just as well on a.c. and d.c. and just get brighter the more volts. For charging from USB it will be important that it is a regulated d.c. supply going to your sensitive electronics.

Personally I'd be inclined to "do it properly" by adding a rectifier, regulator, battery etc.

If this is on a SIB you might be able to make something work - that will be easier if you just need USB, rather than 12V + 5V - does your VHF have a usb charger?
Old 27 August 2020, 18:26   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I’ve just gone through a similar exercise with a brand new DF20. The blurb states it has a 6A output for battery charging/lights etc. What it doesn’t tell you is that it requires a £100 regulator kit adding to the system to make it workable.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 19:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I assume what you have is a power output for "lights". It probably is a.c. rather than d.c. and will probably not be well regulated at 12V - perhaps giving anything from 6-18V or maybe worse! For traditional incandescent filament light bulbs this doesn't matter - they work just as well on a.c. and d.c. and just get brighter the more volts. For charging from USB it will be important that it is a regulated d.c. supply going to your sensitive electronics.

Personally I'd be inclined to "do it properly" by adding a rectifier, regulator, battery etc.

If this is on a SIB you might be able to make something work - that will be easier if you just need USB, rather than 12V + 5V - does your VHF have a usb charger?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charging port.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	134778
Ah ok , thanks for explaining that.Ive just googled a rectifier regulator and there seems to be a lot of different options/ prices.
Im guessing that just tucks in under the cowling so nothing's external ?
My phone and icom hand held vhf both plug into a usb and thats what i intend to use the socket for and possibly nav lights if a fit an a frame at a later date.
Its to use on a small rib.
attached a pic of the yam socket.
Cheers
Old 27 August 2020, 20:11   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Why not buy one of the changing packs people buy for backpacking ? By the time you set up properly off the engine your going to be in the £150 mark not sure of the battery packs but much less plus you can put it in a dry bag whilst charging

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cell-Phone-...ode=5520530031
Old 27 August 2020, 20:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Why not buy one of the changing packs people buy for backpacking ? By the time you set up properly off the engine your going to be in the £150 mark not sure of the battery packs but much less plus you can put it in a dry bag whilst charging

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cell-Phone-...ode=5520530031
They do look pretty good! Also good comment about charging in the dry bag or locker as it wouldn't take much for the phone to end up in the drink...

The only down side is its another thing i have to check , charge and pack etc

Actually i think having the power from the outboard to be able to charge the battery pack would be handy!
Old 27 August 2020, 21:17   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
They do look pretty good! Also good comment about charging in the dry bag or locker as it wouldn't take much for the phone to end up in the drink...

Actually i think having the power from the outboard to be able to charge the battery pack would be handy!
You can only charge if the engine is running unless you have a battery being charged up then you can charge whilst stood I'm not sure the you could charge one of these directly off the engine. The beauty of these packs IMO is portability charge in the tent caravan etc.
My set up is charge from the engine cost £106 for the kit to a gel battery £20 powering the radio, chartplotter with a accessory socket £15 with USB adapter for phone cameras etc
Old 28 August 2020, 08:28   #8

Quote:

I've yet to find a USB battery pack that can be charged while it's charging, if that was in your plan.

Outboard rectifier is pricey. If it needs to live under the cowl and mount on an existing screw finding something else that suits may be hard. BUT... If you have a dry area for a battery then you can probably find a cheap motorbike regulator AND rectifier... For ~ £30.

I'd then add a battery. But I think a decent USB charge unit that isn't too fussy on input voltage (maybe one that does 12-24v for trucks) would manage to cope and keep 0.5A at 5.1v flowing. Adding a 2.4A iPhone, a VHF, a USB battery pack will increase the likelihood that at low revs it can't give enough juice... That's where a battery in the system would help.

Your next issue is keeping all that dry. I've not seen an IPx7 USB socket, so all that needs to be in dry enclosure(s). Which of course makes things less functional (VHF etc should be on YOU not in a locker). (And adds more costs)

You can get USB battery backs with solar. No idea how good they are. But if that allowed you to add a bit of volts in an emergency or charge when at lunch / camping etc then that may be a nice solution...

My latest "toy" is an android 10 smart phone that is IP68. 4A battery. So far not put a SIM in and it lasts 6 days on a charge (will drop if has mobile signal... But I can of course switch that off... It would be for me to call people not people to call me!). Rugged grippy case. Lanyard loop. Cost less than my HH VHF. Has GPS etc of course..have tested in IPx6 conditions and it behaves fine.
Old 30 August 2020, 16:12   #9

given i haven't got a centre console and don't want to put a battery in the locker i think the
little charge up portable battery is the way to go for now and just see how i get on.

Shiny that phone sounds like a good idea , i recently got a smart watch to track different water sport session and its great to look back all the info and now i worked out i can actually make phone calls on it whilst its in the dry bag its going to be very handy on the boat!