Old 28 May 2013, 13:02   #1

Town: Felmersham
Boat name: Kiss my bass
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 40 2stroke,
Wiring/charging issues

Some more advice if I may....

Fitted my tldi 50 over the weekend, but I have an issue with the batteries going flat, it's an old problem so nothing to do with the new engine.

The boat was totally re wired 2years ago, I fitted a split charge diode for the old engine, ran a wire from the alternator to it, then a wire to each battery, it worked well, but the new engine appears to charge through the battery leads, does anyone have any info on what wire, colour or codes, diagrams to source the output wire from the alternator so I can stop it charging through the battery leads and run direct to the split charge system ?

The reason, I have an off, on or combine battery isolator that the battery lead goes to from the engine, this is as I have twin batteries, one for the electrics, one for the engine and bilge pumps as I do not want to run my engine battery flat, so I set the switch to on, which keeps both circuits separated when running, then turn to off when I leave the boat, but the bilge pumps are hard wired to the engine battery so can still draw power when I am not around. The problem is, the engine will only charge one battery when running if the switch is set to "on" the only way it can charge both is if I select "combine" but that will defeat the purpose of having the batteries separate, and I want to keep both batteries as charged as possible, if the electrics batt gets low during the day, it will stay low until I put it on charge, and that could be another month before I see my boat, the cold weather killed this battery during the winter as it was left uncharged.

Also, I have a solar panel, not wired in yet, but would like to fit that to the split charge system, so ideally, when I get in from a day out, both batteries will be kept charged with the engine, and then everything will be switched off except the bilge pumps, and the solar panel will keep everything topped up.

Hope this makes sense to someone
Old 28 May 2013, 16:34   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss my bass View Post
The reason, I have an off, on or combine battery isolator that the battery lead goes to from the engine,
[snip]
The problem is, the engine will only charge one battery when running if the switch is set to "on" the only way it can charge both is if I select "combine" but that will defeat the purpose of having the batteries separate, and I want to keep both batteries as charged as possible,
Procedural issue. When the motor is running, select "Combine", which charges both batteries. When stopped, select the house battery to keep from drawing from your starting battery. PITA, but only option I see the way you're set up now (don't feel too bad, I'm set up fairly similarly, except I have no dedicated purpose for either battery.)

Alternative: put a VSR (voltage sensing relay) between the house battery and starting battery. If charge voltage is detected at the house battery, the relay will open to charge the starting battery. If no charge voltage is detected, the relay opens to keep from draining the starting battery.

This is one solution, anyway; I'm sure there are others out there.

jky