Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 03 June 2021, 18:13   #1

Winter Storage (small 4-stroke Mariner)

Just bought a shiny new Mariner 6hp for use with a Seago air-deck.

I'd imagine I won't use the boat much past around the middle of September and was wondering about best winter storage of the engine.

Couple of options...

1. Get it serviced and winterised and don't touch until April time?

2. Every few weeks or so throughout the winter put a little fresh fuel in the internal tank and let it idle for 10-15 mins?

Thoughts??
Old 04 June 2021, 11:01   #2

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
l just changed the oil and then flushed the engine with fresh water and clamped the engine upright on a shelf in the garage.
Old 04 June 2021, 19:00   #3

Town: Saskatoon
Boat name: spitfire
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 15hp
Winterized on CDN Prairies were temperatures drop -15C–42C, and please correct if I can improve. My predecessors, always changed leg oil every fall. In case water should seep in through a poor seal or there ‘s tales of other contaminates. Observing the oil you replace, could give you some clues as to conditions of your lower leg and seal. Cheap and easy to do !
Also I run RV antifreeze through the leg using the muffs. I have notice that water has drained from the leg still, after a period of sitting. Cautioning me of perhaps still having water trapped in the pump on the leg. With the freezing temps we experience, any water could easily freeze and crack the leg in places. I set up a catch and recycle pan for the RV antifreeze while doing.
I’ve used the RV antifreeze, but there could be a better product for Marine use. I do flush the motor again in spring before dropping it in the lake etc.
We also fogg the engine and burn the fuel out of the carbs while flushing leg before putting it to sleep for the winter. If you use high octane fuel all the time, this can prevent some of the problems and maintenance brought on from ethanol containing fuel.
Old 05 June 2021, 10:36   #4

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by helidan View Post
Just bought a shiny new Mariner 6hp for use with a Seago air-deck.

I'd imagine I won't use the boat much past around the middle of September and was wondering about best winter storage of the engine.

Couple of options...

1. Get it serviced and winterised and don't touch until April time?

2. Every few weeks or so throughout the winter put a little fresh fuel in the internal tank and let it idle for 10-15 mins?

Thoughts??
If its new, I would do what the manual says, which is probably to winterize.

I have a new engine and have got it serviced and winterised at the end of each "season" by the dealer. It was only about £100 including storage over winter and then for them to fire it up before I collect it in the spring.
Old 05 June 2021, 16:01   #5

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
There is of course an option 3 - DIY.
Winterising a small engine is fairly straightforward and as well as saving a few pounds it gets you more familiar with your new motor should any gremlins strike when you're on the water.
Also if you get an opportunity for a winter trip out you're not looking at another £100 at the dealers
Old 05 June 2021, 16:29   #6

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
There is of course an option 3 - DIY.
Winterising a small engine is fairly straightforward and as well as saving a few pounds it gets you more familiar with your new motor should any gremlins strike when you're on the water.
Also if you get an opportunity for a winter trip out you're not looking at another £100 at the dealers
If its out of warranty - I agree. But one of the main reasons for buying brand new is that you get a warranty and would need to have it serviced to maintain that. So my proposal kills two birds with one stone. I know you can use independent dealers, so long as they use genuine parts to maintain warranty, but I'm not sure if DIY servicing would be to the required standard. For instance I wouldn't have the workshop service manual for the engine, so wouldn't know the correct torques etc for the bolts.
Old 05 June 2021, 21:54   #7

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Servicing, yes. Agree.
But your question referred to winterisation?
Old 06 June 2021, 18:40   #8

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
On my previous( larger )engine, I had it serviced and winterised at the end of the season( October/ November), because the boat and engine were outside all year. Having a smaller 6hp now, I had it serviced late in the year, but as it is stored in the garage, and covered, I run it once a month. I now work on the basis that if there is good weather during the winter, I might get a chance to get on the water.