Old 12 May 2019, 21:09   #1

Length: 6m +
Verado Steering

So prop issues solved and a new issue arises.

With old prop had a fair bit of pull to the right meaning constant correction to port (not just holding wheel to left but having to keep turning more to left to keep her straight). Got worse with new prop. Also feels heavy to left and when I left it centred and tilted up on the trailer it's "fallen" all way over to starboard.

Looking at service records had new lines and rebled a couple of times in last few years.

Starting point was me fluid but not sure what to use. Mercury say ow-30 but the bung is on top of the steering housing so not sure if that's true. Even if ow-30 is correct fluid, where can I get it or what is the alternative?

Part number for recommended fluid is 92-862014q1 but Google doesn't recognise it.
Old 13 May 2019, 07:54   #2

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Hi Fraser,,, ( im sure you are) , but are you trimming up enough? You should feel the steering get lighter to the sweet spot. With the Rev4, try the engine one hole up as i suggested [emoji6]. My Merc with normal hydraulic steering also swings over to starboard when trailering but i don't know if this is normal or not (i have some Yank trailering clips that clip over each side on the rams that prevent this [emoji6])
Old 14 May 2019, 05:25   #3

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Have you tried adjusting the trim tab just above prop? It’s function is to counter the pulling to one side ?
Old 14 May 2019, 15:58   #4

Jeff. I had misread some online info that suggested raising the engine could increase pull but rereading seems to suggest may cause more pull to port which is good for me. Any thoughts on a DIY way to move a 220kg motor? Blocks of wood and lots of ropes and use the trailer jockey wheel to lower the transom?

Have tried a wide range of trim without obvious success and another job is to recalibrate my trim gauges so I can do it more scientifically.

Lankristy. - Verado doesn't have a trim tab as hydraulic steering is standard as I understand. Could be wrong and it's just missing! Sacrificial anodes are flush to the gearbox.
Old 14 May 2019, 16:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frar View Post
Jeff. I had misread some online info that suggested raising the engine could increase pull but rereading seems to suggest may cause more pull to port which is good for me. Any thoughts on a DIY way to move a 220kg motor? Blocks of wood and lots of ropes and use the trailer jockey wheel to lower the transom?

Have tried a wide range of trim without obvious success and another job is to recalibrate my trim gauges so I can do it more scientifically.

Lankristy. - Verado doesn't have a trim tab as hydraulic steering is standard as I understand. Could be wrong and it's just missing! Sacrificial anodes are flush to the gearbox.
Hi Fraser
Get 3 mates to help - Remove the cowling ( so you have something safer to push against in the final alignment)
Set the trailer on a level surface and reasonably horizontal, and support the motor with a block of wood under the skeg. SLACKEN very slightly the two bolts in the lower slotted holes on the engine saddle bracket. Remove the top two bolts completely. I would then clean out any old sealant
NOW - get one mate to raise the jockey wheel steadily whilst you & no3 watch as the transom lowers to the point where the holes align with the pair below you current position. 'Jiggle' slightly to get the bolts too push through - not forgetting to use a good marine sealant through the transom drillings . You may want to defer this until you have tested her on the water and then redo the sealant in all 4 bolt holes one at a time assuming a successful trial. Dont forget to tighten up the pair of bolts in the slotted holes :-)
....... I am assuming the saddle bracket is the same as any other merc I have owned in this description ?

Enjoy :-)

On trimming out you should feel the steering go lighter as you get to optimum trim ,,,, though if the Verado has power hydraulic steering (?) perhaps this isn't so evident. I am not sure calibration of the trim gauge which is just resetting the bottom and upper limits, will make much difference to accuracy - have you got the trim on your smartcraft set at high resolution ?

EDIT - yep , no trim tab anode on larger Mercs ;-)
Old 15 May 2019, 07:52   #6

3 mates may be a challenge�� Cost me more in beer than a professional job.

Sounds doable but will have to wait for another week. Clyde estuary calls on Saturday.

Trim gauge seems to be set at zero for the full range of trim and only ticks up once you're tilting. Just make it easier to experiment.

Boats I learned on had a very noticeable sweet spot on trim bother steering and rpm but not finding it so obvious on a rib.
Old 15 May 2019, 09:06   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
3 mates may be a challenge�� Cost me more in beer than a professional job.

Sounds doable but will have to wait for another week. Clyde estuary calls on Saturday.

Trim gauge seems to be set at zero for the full range of trim and only ticks up once you're tilting. Just make it easier to experiment.

Boats I learned on had a very noticeable sweet spot on trim bother steering and rpm but not finding it so obvious on a rib.

I’ve used the method above several times on my own (no mates[emoji6]) take your time & it’s easy. I’m sure I did a “how to” thread somewhere with photos.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 12:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve used the method above several times on my own (no mates[emoji6]) take your time & it’s easy. I’m sure I did a “how to” thread somewhere with photos.
Forever known now as Pikey-no-Mates lol
Old 15 May 2019, 14:15   #9

Bummer. Thought this was the case. Lower holes not slits... Long bolts in top or bottom and more wiggle?
Old 15 May 2019, 16:30   #10

Quote:
Bummer. Thought this was the case. Lower holes not slits... Long bolts in top or bottom and more wiggle?
Oh B ! just had a look on the Merc parts catalogue website and see your 'problem' ,,,,, just holes :-(

Perhaps your idea of longer (thinner ?) bolts may give you enough movement.

Someone else on here may come along with direct experience & advice

....... best of luck

Jeff
Old 02 June 2019, 07:14   #11

Finally got her out again after a couple of busy weeks and crap weather when I was free.

So red face here... Played about a lot more with the trim, and found the sweet spot, much higher than expected, but suddenly all steering troubles vanished.

Thanks for advice!
Old 02 June 2019, 07:45   #12

[emoji106][emoji4]