Old 17 September 2008, 06:20   #1

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Value of second hand engines

Hi folks
I am after some advice regarding 2 possible refurbishment projects. But more importantly the value of the engines on the 2 boats below.

Both boats were built by http://www.libra.ae/main.htm. I would like to refurbish one of the two to use as a family cruiser (kids 2,3 and 5) and dive boat.

Boat No 1 in the first picture appears to be around 7m with twin Yam 75's (Engine No 75AET/692/L/411853). The engines are 8 years old and have done around 900hours. I know the engines have been well maintained and the tubes hold air for 45mins or so. Hull appears sound and trailer needs major work. This boat would be dry stored and launched by tractor. Boat was mainly used as safety boat for sailing.diving club activity. No idea of engine hours etc. I like the extra room and seating arrangements for the family.

Boat No 2 appears to be around 6m with twin Yam 85's (Engine No 85AED/688/X/701106). I believe engines were serviced before boat being taken off the run but one engine may have a fault. This boat was used for dolphin research work. The trailer is more suitable for road towing but this is frowned on in Oman where the trailer must be backed up with a second vehicle with hazard lights. This boat also need tube replacement but also needs new fuel tank fabricating, floor over fuel tank replacing, console replaced, new control gear, complete rewire etc. Again no idea of engine hours etc. Hull sound. Boat is smaller but 85's may prove to be fun.

I realise that trying to refurbish these ribs will difficult due to lack of parts in country, however my real problem is I do not have a clue regarding value of the individual units. Ribs are not popular in Oman due to lack of bimini type sunshade. My thought is that the real value is in the engines therefore I would be grateful for any idea regarding the value of the engines as described (plus a bit for hulls etc).

I would also be grateful if anyone can shed light on the origins of Libra Boats and whether these hulls are derived from other boats. I guess an option would be to obtain both and get one boat on the water straight away whilst rebuildng the second.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050015.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	37567   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050019a.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	37568  
Old 17 September 2008, 08:54   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I can give you a rough value of the engines here,but it's not a lot and it won't actually be relevant to your country as values are dramatically different between countries. Probably better to ask a dealer where you are.

Here,The 75s are probably worth around £2200 for the pair given the high hours and hot salt water usage.
The value of the 85s will be dramatically affected by the fault-here I'd estimate £1200 for the two at the most as one is effectively scrap without knowing what the fault is and the number of hours is unknown but likely very high.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2008, 11:24   #3

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Value of second hand engines

Thank you very much indeed for your valuation. I have tried the Yamaha dealer who has carried out the servicing for the 75s over the years but he would not comment.

The boat with the 75s will be sold by sealed bid; I don't think there will be too much interest from people wanting to restore the hull. It is more likely that someone will buy the rib for the engines to split them and put them onto 2 local fishing boats. This plan would also work for me if I could buy the hull at a reasonable price and renovate it and then put say a single 150 onto it.

As a matter of interest here is a link to another Libra rib for sale in Dubai on the UAE version of e-bay: http://motors.souq.com/item.php?id=2...ype=all&lan=EN

There is also a pair of Yam 200's on the same site (souq.com)

Thanks again for your comments I shall keep you posted regarding the outcome.