Old 30 September 2012, 21:19   #1

Town: liverpool
Make: tohatsu6.1 one desig
Length: 6m +
Engine: mariner 125hp
tohatsu 2 stroke

Ive just bought a new to me rib it has a old 90hp 2 stroke tohatsu with auto-lube on the back.if i want to pre-mix the fuel does anyone no if i have to do anything to auto-lube other than to drain tank ?
Old 30 September 2012, 22:53   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon23 View Post
Ive just bought a new to me rib it has a old 90hp 2 stroke tohatsu with auto-lube on the back.if i want to pre-mix the fuel does anyone no if i have to do anything to auto-lube other than to drain tank ?
I doubt you can just drain the tank - I would expect there is a sensor which will know it is low on oil / not pumping oil and so put the engine into limp home mode.

I guess the obvious question would be: why disconnect it? do you believe it is faulty or just worried it might get faulty? does that particular model have a known issue?
Old 01 October 2012, 06:52   #3

Im just worried it might go faulty as i think this is what killed my last outboard!!!!!
Old 01 October 2012, 08:57   #4

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I doubt you can just drain the tank - I would expect there is a sensor which will know it is low on oil / not pumping oil and so put the engine into limp home mode.

I guess the obvious question would be: why disconnect it? do you believe it is faulty or just worried it might get faulty? does that particular model have a known issue?

My Yamaha autolube will only let the engine rev to 2,000 RPM if the sensor is activated and a warning light flashes

Poly is correct, the engine goes into "safe mode"

I bought an old Suzuki Autolube and didn't have the owners manual, so for the first few times of using it put a 100:1 mix in the fuel and marked the level of the autolube tank with a pencil just to check it was drawing the oil out of the tank as it should.

Maybe you could do that until you are confident in the engine?
Old 01 October 2012, 10:04   #5

I am still trying to find someone near anglesea to confirm my yam is dead .i ran it for 2 years with autolube working fine then one day engine just stopped and been told it sounds as though it started to sizie.not a big deal to premix so i felt it would give me some peace of mind on oil in engine at least!
Old 01 October 2012, 12:29   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Simon,

It will either be siezed or not.

If you pull the lid off the yam, take the plugs out, put it in neutral (disconnect the batery first & all the other helath & safetry stuff ) - can you turn the flywheel by hand? Without the plugs in it should go round smoothly & should go round without lots of horrible grinding noises.

If it makes scary noises or feels incredibly rough to turn, a quick visual way of checking damage it to take off the inlet and / or exhaust manifolds - then you can shine a torch into the cylinder & see the damage (or not) first hand.

Not had the pleasure of a Yam autolube, but my old Suz had a flow sensor in the oil line that also brought it to a grinding halt if the pipe blocked or the pipe fell off the bottom of the tank. An empty tank would also "trip" it. Might be worth checking the sensor(s) & their wiring / connectors on the Yam as well. (is the tank level float still floating?)
Old 10 October 2012, 19:06   #7

Thanks for your reply hav'nt tried anything yet only get to my rib at weekends.i picked up my new rib this weekend and could resist going out in it!!!!!