Old 23 May 2022, 18:08   #1

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
ThrustMe…Seriously!

Well, before you all stop rolling around the floor in hysterics, picked up one these the other week.
Not expecting much but couldn’t resist giving one a try. Bleedin expensive trip to Boatworld methinks!

Ridiculously light at 4.5 kilos all in, smallest prop in the world (submarine tech allegedly) and designed by some trendy young Norse Men. What could possibly go wrong!!

Went for a river run the other day in our 3.4m Ocean Runner mini rib so time to try the tiny ‘Kicker’ and fairness did exactly what it said on the tin. Boat, motor, kit, fuel and helm etc. about 260kg running weight.

Six available power levels in both forward and reverse. Found running on level 3 pushed us along at just over 3mph upstream with the main still down, and battery lasted a good hour…battery life all as stated in the manual. So the claimed 2.5hrs on level one and 30mins at level six seams achievable.

Hopefully will try out on the sib sometime soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4648.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	140609

Name:	IMG_4757.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	140610
Old 23 May 2022, 18:18   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Do you know I'd had a mad thought about an egg whisk such as this for our river outings, no more than two hours out in total and a 4kt limit. Very little flow and we always return with the flow.

Mind you I looked at the Ryobi cordless strimmer and a spare old prop I have.
Old 23 May 2022, 21:55   #3

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Interesting, if a bit pricey. I could imagine using this as a trolling motor on the back of my Elling just for the last 100m approach to shallow bass reefs etc. Then again maybe better off with an actual transom mount trolling motor at half the cost.
Old 24 May 2022, 06:24   #4

I do find electric motors appealing for freshwater use. The speeds are fine and the quietness is just such a big benefit. I certainly feel I'm being a little anti social on smaller rivers full of paddle boarders and kayaks when using my 4hp 2s.

The problem for me is the pricing. They contain too much premium for what they are. At the end of the day they're just a cheap, mass produced electric motor, in a cheap to produce case, with cheap to produce electronics. Barely any moving parts and assembly takes a fraction of the time that a complex petrol engine takes with its hundreds of intricate parts.

Even Li battery packs have slumped in value while increasing enormously in quality.

I'd move to an electric outboard for rivers in a shot if I wasn't of the view that they were simply far too expensive which boils down to a combination of low volumes and general p taking by all the entities in the chain wanting to take their slice of the action.
Old 01 September 2022, 18:50   #5

Since the little Kicker did sterling service a few weeks ago getting both me and the Elling safely back after the main decided to expire a mile or so out…saved me a seriously long row back…so thought a quick motor update in order.

First off, plenty of room on the narrow Elling KB350 transom for the super slim kicker next to the main with one transom wheel removed and stowed aboard. Also being so light and compact no problem simply storing on deck in its padded bag and mounting on transom at sea as and when required.

Name:	IMG_5094.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	141413

Easy enough to control with 6 forward and 6 reverse speeds plus stop via a three button wireless fob which can be attached to wrist or motor, the latter for me. Perhaps overly complicated, but other versions of this motor are available for kayaks/paddle boards or even bow mounted trolling motor’s where remote operation a given.

Performance wise don’t expect anything thrilling, as at best it’s only a trolling motor.
We recorded the following speeds via gps on the Elling KB350 one up plus kit, going against tide (negligible flow) and into a gentle 8/10mph headwind.

Level 1…2mph - claimed run time 2.5hrs
Level 2…3mph - claimed run time 2hrs
Level 3/4…4mph - claimed run time 1.5/1hr
Level 5/6…5mph - claimed run time 45/30min

Have found the claimed run times achievable after a couple or three charges so confident we can rely on a solid 1.5 hours at a mix of levels 2 and 3 which seems a sensible compromise re. speed versus battery life.

Name:	IMG_5090.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	141414

Have to accept this is a get you home motor only in favourable conditions and limited distance. For many, myself included, in a tiny sib there is no practical option to carry even the lightest 13kg, or even room on the transom, for a 2.5hp petrol motor. So working on the assumption anything is better than nothing, it sort of makes sense.

It ain’t ideal with such limited power and run time, but my initial view has changed from an expensive toy, to an additional piece of safety kit worthy of the minimal deck space and weight to carry aboard just in case.

At the very least it could save you you a long row back.
Old 01 September 2022, 21:13   #6

Interesting that the elec motor review is just one bit stands out for me…. “After the main decided to expire a mile out”!!

Can you tell more?
Old 02 September 2022, 10:13   #7

ThrustMe…Seriously!

Ha, yes.

Been out about an hour and bowling along at a tad over 5000rpm motor just died instantly, as if kill cord pulled out, which unfortunately it hadn’t. After a few simple checks and no starts, decided easier and safer to deploy aux. and motor back to shore/shallows, as quite a way out and drifting further (also a bit deep at well over 20 metres to deploy anchor).

Back in the shallows eventually got motor started and it then ran perfectly for the rest of the day and since. Initial thoughts electrical but now think fuel supply as primer bulb felt intermittently soft and in-line filter seemed to slowly empty randomly. Since checked all fuel lines, tank etc. for air leaks but all seem good.

Been out a couple of times since and motor has been running perfectly, but still mindful not found the fault. Have a spare carb assembly incl. fuel pump to swap out if problem reoccurs.

Can’t remember ever having a motor die on me out at sea before.
Old 02 September 2022, 13:02   #8

>>Can’t remember ever having a motor die on me out at sea before.

Had it twice... concentrates the mind!

Once the fuel line was sat on over a seat edge causing a kink that shut it off... other time daughter putting foot on fuel tank released the connector (type with pull back chrome collar) enough to disconnect/shut it off but not enough to cause it to fall off so not immediately obvious.
Old 04 September 2022, 10:09   #9

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: Sea Dragon
Make: Tornado Viking
Length: 6m +
Engine: 100 Yammy
I too got one of these to put on my WAFI tender (a 4m SIB) and its great! Very very impressed and have had a few electric outboards over the decades - the Thrustme Kicker is by far the most sensible package

Can get them at a discounted price if anyone would like to join the appreciation society, or if you are in the Plymouth area and would like a go with mine let me know
Old 09 September 2022, 11:45   #10

Town: Combe Martin
Make: Capelli
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F40
I’ve bought one of these. The first one had a few issues with overheating cut out (at sea) and the tilt lock failed. My replacement (under warranty) seems better. Personally I think it needs a couple of small improvements to make it perfect - ie a better tilt lock and a new mechanism to alter the transom height which presently involves undoing tiny screws on the locking collar which is near impossible at sea. These may add on half a kilo or so but well worth it. I use it a) as an aux for keeping within a mile of the nearest beaching point if OB fails on my Aerotec and b) as the main trolling motor for an ultralight Sib for sheltered bay fishing close in. Very stealthy. The concept is great but just needs a little tweaking. Btw they’re hoping to bring out an extender battery in time for the boat show which would be great though the motor cut off means that they have to make a dedicated battery.
Old 09 September 2022, 11:50   #11

Hi there I see you’ve got the same OB as I’m thinking of buying (I think Fenlander had the same before going back to a 2 stroke). I was wondering what dimensions you (and Fenlander) used for the wood shim to raise the transom height ? I presently have a BF6 which is too gutless for North Devon tide flows so will be upgrading for next season…cheers
Old 09 September 2022, 17:31   #12

See post 69 and following on the link below for the final raise to my Aerotec transom... 45mm.

Previously with Mercury 15hp 2-stroke and Suzuki DF20A new 4-stroke a shim of around 15-20mm was enough and the limit for the clamps to just cling onto the transom plate.

However a new Mariner 9.8 4-stroke was dreadful for splash and caused me to undertake the 45mm lift. Since then I've had a Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke and currently Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke and they have been fine with the lift in having no prop ventilation issues.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerote...sue-71528.html
Old 10 September 2022, 09:50   #13

Thank you that’s very helpful. Interesting that the lighter Mariner 9.8 caused more splash than the heavy 20hp. Just to check, with the 45mm shim you drilled two vertical screws down through the shim into the head of the transom then moved the fore and aft transom pads up onto the shim with two screws into the raised shim and the lower screws into the original transom ? Btw if you ever want to sell the Tohatsu I’d be very glad to take it off your hands !��.
Old 10 September 2022, 14:08   #14

Yes it appears impossible to predict the level of splash as it's down to the outboard model and your loading and/or front to rear trim.

Re the construction yes that's what I did. I was happy that was strong enough without any alloy reinforcing plate however bear in mind for many years now I've bolted my outboards on... even the 9.8.

Re its sale it's very likely this will be my last portable outboard as I will never be able to lift anything heavier and anything lighter would be less HP than the minimum needed to enjoy the outfit. Hence I hope it will be in the shed another ten years or so until I'm unable to manage a launch by hand outfit.
Old 11 September 2022, 07:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comberboy View Post
The first one had a few issues with overheating cut out (at sea) and the tilt lock failed.
My replacement (under warranty) seems better.
Personally I think it needs a couple of small improvements to make it perfect - ie a better tilt lock and a new mechanism to alter the transom height which presently involves undoing tiny screws on the locking collar which is near impossible at sea.

Sorry to hear you had a few issues, assume replacement now all good. Was the overheat cut out problem just at max power or random throughout the power levels? Only ask as not run ours at or near max for extended time.

Agree all plastic (abs?) moulded clamp and tilt lock assembly probably not the best design or quality and we’ve made a mental note to never over tighten clamps! Initially tilt lock slipping on ours but all sorted after a quick nip up with an Allen key.

Hear what you say about fiddly height adjustment but once set on land, not something I’d be altering at sea anyway, so not really a problem for us.

Good to get to some feedback from other users, thanks.
Old 18 September 2022, 20:49   #16

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Looks like a good bit of kit. I like how small it is! I have a torqeedo 1103 which I have used on my honwave t38 on the hamble - excellent bit of kit definitely more than adequate for river use or as an aux. It is larger than yours though and much the same sort of size as a 4hp though a lot lighter. I love it and would recommend to anyone.

I really do think electric outboards are the future. Once we start seeing 20 ish hp outboards with reasonable range we will see the industry really move that way. I just question if lithium ion will be the technology to do it or if we need a better chemistry battery to tip the balance
Old 20 September 2022, 15:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik_elliott View Post
Once we start seeing 20 ish hp outboards with reasonable range we will see the industry really move that way
I think the game changer will be the improvements coming next year with solar panel efficiency, having a motor at tickover which is not using any battery will be amazing
Old 26 January 2023, 12:23   #18

Used my Thrustme Kicker today to move my 6m Tornado around the marina (waiting for carbs), light airs so no challenge and I could probably have paddled faster but it worked a treat!
Old 26 January 2023, 17:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Used my Thrustme Kicker today to move my 6m Tornado around the marina (waiting for carbs), light airs so no challenge and I could probably have paddled faster but it worked a treat!
Wonder if Mecal will accept one of these as "a means of alternate propulsion" on our 6.8m

I once had a HPFP fail on an outboard while we were 4 miles out. Thankfully we have twins, but it won't plane on one engine. So it was a slow trip back at 5000rpm 😂

Which marina are you in?
Old 26 January 2023, 18:08   #20

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I think the game changer will be the improvements coming next year with solar panel efficiency, having a motor at tickover which is not using any battery will be amazing
You reckon? I'll eat this keyboard if you get, in our lifetimes, the ability to generate, say 5hp, directly, onboard an average rib.