Old 28 March 2024, 09:03   #1

Town: Dawlish
Boat name: Yanros
Length: 5m +
Engine: 25
Suzuki servicing and warranty

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find the info I'm looking for.
I bought a new Suzuki DF40 at the end of last June, so 9 months old. It had it's first 20 hour service back at the supplying dealer.
Despite what I've seen on some dealer websites, I believe it is NOT a requirement for the engine to be serviced by a Suzuki dealer to maintain the warranty.
Page 46 of the owners manual says that "Suzuki recommends that only your authorised Suzuki marine dealer or a qualified service mechanic perform maintenance." Also some items can be done by the user "if you have mechanical experience."
But I've also read that the last 2 years of the 5 year warranty are only valid if the engine has been dealer serviced so only 3 years if serviced by the mechanic. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Also, can a warranty repair be done by the mechanic? I only ask this because I have a good mechanic just 2 miles away while the dealer is over an hours drive.
Thank you so much for any help or advice.
Old 28 March 2024, 14:48   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanros View Post
Apologies if this has been covered before but I can't find the info I'm looking for.
I bought a new Suzuki DF40 at the end of last June, so 9 months old. It had it's first 20 hour service back at the supplying dealer.
Despite what I've seen on some dealer websites, I believe it is NOT a requirement for the engine to be serviced by a Suzuki dealer to maintain the warranty.
Page 46 of the owners manual says that "Suzuki recommends that only your authorised Suzuki marine dealer or a qualified service mechanic perform maintenance." Also some items can be done by the user "if you have mechanical experience."
But I've also read that the last 2 years of the 5 year warranty are only valid if the engine has been dealer serviced so only 3 years if serviced by the mechanic. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Also, can a warranty repair be done by the mechanic? I only ask this because I have a good mechanic just 2 miles away while the dealer is over an hours drive.
Thank you so much for any help or advice.
In my (limited) experience, Suzuki after sales service is a nightmare. I have a DF140 & a DF20, I had the 140 serviced for 5 years in order to keep the warranty, all in all a total cost just shy of £3k + the hassle of dragging the boat to the dealer each time. When I bought the DF20, I decided to bite the bullet & do the work myself, I now DIY service both engines. A service kit for the 140 is around £150 & the DF20, £80ish.
Based on experience, I would expect Suzuki to use any way they could to wriggle out of a warranty claim, you pays your money & makes your choice.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 15:33   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I agree with Dave I spent at least £2000 on my 25 hp servicing and chasing a fuel problem the only other problem I had was the slew bushes had failed the cost under warranty to me was far more than buying the bushes and doing it myself. I service myself now much cheaper and keeps my hand in. All in my experience others might disagree.
Old 15 April 2024, 06:37   #4

Town: Guildford
Make: AB
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25
I was told by a dealer that the warranty was OK as long as you could prove (receipts etc) that it had been serviced using genuine Suzuki parts and on time. I believe Suzuki are the only dealer to take this approach, which is why I've got one of their engines.
Old 15 April 2024, 15:32   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I would be wary taking the word of any one dealer if you are banking on being covered by the warranty. I have had dealers say the most ridiculous things. As far as I knew Parson are the only maker where they are happy for the OB to be services anywhere.

Suzuki UK clearly state...

The Suzuki warranty only applies to the outboards imported by Suzuki GB PLC and is subject to regular Authorised Suzuki Dealer servicing in accordance with the schedule published in the Owner's Manual
Old 15 April 2024, 16:21   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I would be wary taking the word of any one dealer if you are banking on being covered by the warranty. I have had dealers say the most ridiculous things. As far as I knew Parson are the only maker where they are happy for the OB to be services anywhere.

Suzuki UK clearly state...

The Suzuki warranty only applies to the outboards imported by Suzuki GB PLC and is subject to regular Authorised Suzuki Dealer servicing in accordance with the schedule published in the Owner's Manual
Yup, and you have to get the service booked stamped too.
Old 15 April 2024, 17:29   #7

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by slangford View Post
I was told by a dealer that the warranty was OK as long as you could prove (receipts etc) that it had been serviced using genuine Suzuki parts and on time. I believe Suzuki are the only dealer to take this approach, which is why I've got one of their engines.
You are absolutely correct. There are several Suzuki dealers that allow you to do your own servicing and indeed installation and the Warranty will still stand.

2 Very big dealers close to where I live told me the same and the process that you follow which is quite simple.

The Biggest outboard dealer in the UK (I have bought 3 outboards from them) told me the same regarding the outboards that they deal with (Interestingly not Suzuki however)
Old 15 April 2024, 17:36   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>There are several Suzuki dealers that allow you to do your own servicing and indeed installation and the Warranty will still stand.

Then they are indeed wading through murky waters re support if you had a major warranty claim because Suzuki would likely not back them. And if like the dealer that I bought my DF20A from went bust any statements made by them would be worthless.

If you value the warranty then do it by the (Suzuki) book... if not, and like me, go your own way and take any hit on the chin.
Old 15 April 2024, 19:24   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by slangford View Post
Well this is my experience.

I bought my Suzuki brand new from a dealer down south.

Had some overheating issues and contacted both the dealer and Suzuki.

Was informed by the dealer (who was hundreds of miles away) to put it into local Authorised Suzuki dealer for examination and to maintain the warranty.

This is a copy and paste from Suzuki Uk reply:

“ We can confirm that your engine can be inspected and considered for warranty repairs at any Authorised Suzuki Dealer, it does not have to be the selling dealer”

Issue got fixed along with first service at authorised dealer. Then decided to do my own basic service.

But I figure even though I’ve recorded all parts used and at what service interval, I probably will be on my own if there was issues again.

So I would say that if you go it alone, don’t be surprised to find they might try and squirm out of any warranty claim.

If you never need to make a claim, you will have spent a substantial amount more money on servicing than you might have needed.

If you do claim, and they honour it, then you can report your success here
Old 15 April 2024, 19:30   #10

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Brin, did you get to find out what was causing the overheating?
Old 15 April 2024, 21:01   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi Brin, did you get to find out what was causing the overheating?
They thought it could have been a slight blockage, which in turn overheated and destroyed the impeller, but weren’t 100% sure.
Been fine since anyway, except for the stall issue we had after this past winter lay up. But even that issue seems to have gone during our trip away.
So working on the hope/theory the fuel might have been contaminated and the OB needed a good run out, which it definitely did get.
Old 15 April 2024, 21:02   #12

RIBase
The Suzuki warranty only applies to the outboards imported by Suzuki GB PLC and is subject to regular Authorised Suzuki Dealer servicing in accordance with the schedule published in the Owner's Manual but it does not affect your statutory right(s). Taken from the Suzuki site
Old 16 April 2024, 05:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
The Suzuki warranty only applies to the outboards imported by Suzuki GB PLC and is subject to regular Authorised Suzuki Dealer servicing in accordance with the schedule published in the Owner's Manual but it does not affect your statutory right(s). Taken from the Suzuki site
I seem to remember that there was a court case which the Plaintiff won’t which was the catalyst for many dealers allowing you to do your own service provided you use Suzuki parts. One dealer near me even records the service if you buy the genuine parts from them.

Doing you own service is not just about cost. There are limited service places and they get very busy. Most people can DIY their service in less time than it takes to tow your boat or transport your outboard to the dealer
Old 16 April 2024, 07:16   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I seem to remember that there was a court case which the Plaintiff won’t which was the catalyst for many dealers allowing you to do your own service provided you use Suzuki parts. One dealer near me even records the service if you buy the genuine parts from them.

Doing you own service is not just about cost. There are limited service places and they get very busy. Most people can DIY their service in less time than it takes to tow your boat or transport your outboard to the dealer
When I had mine repaired under warranty the Suzuki rep checked my service records before authorising the repair. Don’t know about the court case, my BMW can be serviced by a non dealer garage but must use BMW parts and the garage must be vat registered. Personally I can’t see a manufacturer allowing DIY repairs even if you use genuine parts for reasons of the engine being put back together correctly.
Old 16 April 2024, 12:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
When I had mine repaired under warranty the Suzuki rep checked my service records before authorising the repair. Don’t know about the court case, my BMW can be serviced by a non dealer garage but must use BMW parts and the garage must be vat registered. Personally I can’t see a manufacturer allowing DIY repairs even if you use genuine parts for reasons of the engine being put back together correctly.
It is not so much repairs but simple servicing
Old 16 April 2024, 12:24   #16

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
I know that we have at least one person on the forum who works for a main outboard manufacturer who wishes to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. Perhaps they and anyone else who has main manufacturer connections (there will be quite a few) could drop one of the mods a PM to clarify the manufacturers position with regard to warranty service & repairs, the mods in turn could then post the details under their own name. It would give clarification to all.
Old 16 April 2024, 12:46   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
It is not so much repairs but simple servicing
Ok timing belt should be changed at 4 years that’s 12 months short of the 5 years extended warranty offered by Suzuki when I bought mine quite a big strip down to change it with risk of damage especially getting the flywheel off without the £250 tool needed
Old 16 April 2024, 12:55   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I know that we have at least one person on the forum who works for a main outboard manufacturer who wishes to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. Perhaps they and anyone else who has main manufacturer connections (there will be quite a few) could drop one of the mods a PM to clarify the manufacturers position with regard to warranty service & repairs, the mods in turn could then post the details under their own name. It would give clarification to all.
It’s answered in the owner manuals

Tags
suzuki