Old 12 February 2007, 07:04   #1

Town: Dalkeith
Make: Valliant
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60hp
Suzuki DT50 help please

Hi, I was helping Taxibill with his flatacraft rebuild at the weekend and we had a go at the engine, it is a 1981 Suzuki dt50 PTT, it is stuck in forward and the shifter shaft seems to have come loose in gearbox. dropped the gearbox and confirmed the pin in bottom of shifter shaft is broken/missing but cannot getplate on top of gearbox off, presume it is held by the pinion nut, does anyone know if the box has to stripped to fix the shifter or anyone got any other ideas.
Thanks
John
Old 12 February 2007, 10:05   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
John

Hi.

If I get the right idea from your description then I think the gearbox will need to come apart, as long as the retaining ring is not corroded in place it is quite straightforward to strip.

I have a manual that should cover this engine at home somewhere, but won't have a chance to look until after the Solent pub meet tonight.

I had a Flatacraft Force 4 with a 55HP Suzuki on the back which was loads of fun, although the triple cylinder engine was a bit too heavy. The twin will be much better.

Nasher.
Old 13 February 2007, 07:58   #3

Hi Nasher look forward to any info you can help with, I have the lower leg off and got the bolts out of the ring but cant move the ring, I am soaking in parafin and cleaning the joint, hopefully can free it up slowly.

John
Old 13 February 2007, 20:27   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
John

The manual I have is for a 40 HP, but should be the same principal.

After undoing the two bolts the shaft and housing are removed by using a slide hammer that screws onto the end of the shaft. I'm sure you can sort something out.

Getting the shift assembly out is a bit too complicated to describe without the pictures etc but getting the pump housing/driveshaft bearing housing out of the top of the lower unit with the shift mechanism attached involves screwing in two 6mm bolts to force it off.

Its a shame you are at the opposite end of the country.

Nasher.
Old 14 February 2007, 16:50   #5

Town: South East
Make: Valiant DR520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 75
Browns Point Marine Services has every Suzuki Manual break down schematic ever produced. http://store.brownspoint.com/microfiche.asp

Maybe someday someone will show me how to post the actual link!!!
Old 14 February 2007, 20:17   #6

Thanks for that, I have managed to get the manual and as nasher said it needs a slide hammer, should be able to get something together, bigger problem seems to be that according to a couple of friendly outboard repairers the suzuki gearbox is "Like Chocolate" and tend to split as you withdraw the unit so it is filled with parafin at present and then we will tease it out, hopefully.
I will post to let you know how we get on, thanks again for the help

On a different not we blew the tubes up today to see what repairs we need to make, 1 rear starboard tube ok other rear tube not sure about, bow tube has leak, now need to trace leaks.
Taxi bill bought the boat from craidiver as a rebuild project, I would post some pics as it was bought but do not know how to resize them, we have stripped back and done most of fibreglass work and are ready to reattach tubes, we are then going to turn over and work on undersides. We intend to make any repairs to the hull and then use flocoat.

John