Old 24 February 2022, 19:04   #1

Town: Thaxted
Boat name: Intrepid
Make: China
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, 50hp
Suzuki DF60

This may be a question better suited to the Suzuki Engines Forum but I’m awaiting membership approval so wondered if anyone on here may be able to help point me in the right direction.

I have a Suzuki DF60, 2014 which I bought sunk as a winter project. The thing had sat for a couple of months after being sunk in salt water, so needed reboring, oversized pistons fitting and new bearings. That’s all done now and I’ve got it back together however it’s not running right. Problems are that it’s producing a fair amount of smoke, plugs get covered in carbon after just a couple of minutes run. Also idling at 1200 RPM. So far I have;

- Removed and refitted injectors. All positively clicking and seem to seal when switched off.
- Cleaned up throttle body which has integrated MAF. See below picture from SDS of pressures when engine running. I notice first barometric is 99.9 which I guess is max value so possibly something there?
- Replaced IAC. This did need doing as the previous one was seized.

I’m pretty convinced that it’s over-fueling/running rich but I’m running out of things to try so I’m just hoping there’s not a problem with the rings and it’s actually engine oil causing the high idle and smoke, or not correctly timed up but I’m convinced it was timed right (this isn’t the first time I’ve rebuilt one of these Suzukis). Have ordered a leak down tester to investigate next week.

I’m really running out of ideas so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2644.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	139901
Old 24 February 2022, 20:57   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid_rib View Post
This may be a question better suited to the Suzuki Engines Forum but I’m awaiting membership approval
Funny that I've experienced the same. No registration email received so not able to post a question or even send an email to help register. I wonder if there's anyone else?
Old 25 February 2022, 10:20   #3

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If it was fully immersed for a length of time then it's quite possible that in addition to the mechanicals the saltwater has penetrated into the wiring loom & any/all electrical items.

Much the same as cars that have been sat in floodwater which are then written off as the cost & work required is too high.
Old 25 February 2022, 11:28   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
I’d check the valves. Carbon build up that quickly sounds like poor ignition or you’re not getting rid is exhaust gas
Old 17 July 2023, 22:40   #5

Suzuki DF60

Solved.
Old 18 July 2023, 07:25   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid_rib View Post
Solved.
Don't leave us in suspense. What was the fix please?

I'd have thought a new wiring loom was essential. None of the manufacturers use tinned wiring, and oxidisation will be a ticking time bomb for submerged wiring at some point.
Old 18 July 2023, 21:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Don't leave us in suspense. What was the fix please?

I'd have thought a new wiring loom was essential. None of the manufacturers use tinned wiring, and oxidisation will be a ticking time bomb for submerged wiring at some point.

It was the positive pin on the ECU had corroded and broken away. All the other pins were shiny and perfect so I guess perhaps the positive current turned it into an anode when exposed to sea water. It was getting just enough power through to run the ECU, but in some kind of limp mode running super rich. Soldered a wire onto what (very little) remained of the pin, and ran perfectly. Did 100 hours or so on the dodgy solder joint (just to make sure before spending any money that my engine work wasn’t going to be a complete fail), then had a new pin professionally installed by a company in the Netherlands.

May end up having to replace the loom at some point I guess but since this one electrical issue, I’ve put 200 hours on it, linked up to an SMG4 display and hasn’t had any faults or issues whatsoever, yet!

Tags
suzuki