Click Here to Login

Old 26 May 2009, 21:51   #1

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Suzuki DF140 intermittent tilt and trim

Hello
I used my boat (Suzuli DF140) on Saturday, Sunday and Monday this weekend. All worked perfectly on Saturday. On Sunday I left the marina with everything working fine for the first twenty minutes or so, I then lost tilt and trim from the throttle lever but didn't think to check whether it worked from the button on the engine. As the engine was trimmed to a decent position I carried on and tried the T&T once in a while. After around half an hour it was back and working perfectly. I used the boat for a further few hours on Saturday and for a good few hours Sunday with no further problems.
The boat has just been serviced and has never had this problem before. I have had a troll through past posts and have seen some references to relays and loose connections. I am unfamiliar with the layout of outboards so wouldn't even know where to find the T&T motor relays etc. I have the standard owners manual but this doesn't tell me anything.
Has anyone got any thoughts? any help or advice gratefully recieved.
Cheers
Woot
Old 28 May 2009, 15:53   #2

Town: Oakland CA
You should be able to locate the relays by hitting the switch on the engine and listening for where the sound comes from. Following the wiring from that switch *may* lead you to where the helm tilt switch comes into the engine.

If the switch on the motor works, I'd suspect cabling. You should be able to find the bundle of wires heading for the helm, and simply check all those connections. There shouldn't be all that many. Look for loose connections and check the contacts for corrosion. Then do the same at the binnacle end.

jky
Old 28 May 2009, 18:39   #3

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Thanks for that. I am not sure when I am next out on the boat but I guess I had better spend some time familiarising myself with the layout in case the problem returns.