Old 26 May 2009, 16:03   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Otimax ' check pitot' warning

Can anyone explain what causes this on my 200 opti ? Happened twice yesterday - no sign of bag / weed at all. The temp & water pressure both totally normal as it happened but I cant seem to clear the warning unless I turn off the engine ( which I am very reluctant to do going round Hurst castle !)

I cant seem to see any explanation in the manual either ( oh and I've 'lost' the oil level display on the gauge & cant get it back in either set up menu)

Thanks

Pete
Old 26 May 2009, 18:18   #2

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
your pitot sender i have found weed has gone up the pipe (yes i know it is a small bore) and
collected in the pitot sender unit,action remove sender and clean out carefully and refit or the sender is knackered.your oil level display recheck the gauge calibration check oil tank sender
Old 26 May 2009, 20:07   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
your pitot sender i have found weed has gone up the pipe (yes i know it is a small bore) and
collected in the pitot sender unit,action remove sender and clean out carefully and refit or the sender is knackered
Isnt the pitot just mercurys water speed mesuring system to do with smart guages and it isnt really neccessary ? Mine failed in a 150 I had and there was no fuss about it ?
Old 27 May 2009, 01:15   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Pitot (as far as I know) is only used for a pressure based speedometer. Clean out the pitot pickup hole (run a thumbnail up the leading edge of the lower unit and you should find it): stick a small piece of wire or whatever will fit in there to clean it out. Sand, algae, bits of shell; can be clogged by just about anything.

If that doesn't get it, you can try disconnecting the vinyl tubing at the gauges and blowing compressed air into the pitot pickup.

Luck;

jky
Old 27 May 2009, 10:04   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Cheers everyone - the bottom inch of the leg just touches the water when on the mooring with the motor up , so guess it may get a bit of green slime in it.

I didn't notice anything stop working (speed etc ) on the gauges so as said not sure it does anything much just annoy me & worry the missus when the warning pops up.

Anyone know how to cancel it without turning it off ?
Old 27 May 2009, 10:34   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Can't quite remember which way round they are, but think the paddle wheel reads speed up to 20 knots and then the pitot tube takes over for readings above 20 knots. I think they can be disabled using the merc computer widget that is used to service an opti. Might be worth asking next time it is serviced to have them or there alarms disabled and use GPS for speed.

Pete
Old 27 May 2009, 20:41   #7

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Can't quite remember which way round they are, but think the paddle wheel reads speed up to 20 knots and then the pitot tube takes over for readings above 20 knots. I think they can be disabled using the merc computer widget that is used to service an opti. Might be worth asking next time it is serviced to have them or there alarms disabled and use GPS for speed.

Pete

You can switch them off on the gauge, just go into your calibration, go to cal2 and switch it off!!. Or get your dealer to do it!
Old 27 May 2009, 21:12   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
You can switch them off on the gauge, just go into your calibration, go to cal2 and switch it off!!. Or get your dealer to do it!
thought so