Old 08 July 2014, 22:52   #1

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
Suzuki 90 hp PTT tilt locked

Hi all!
I have a big issue with my Suzuki 90 hp, 4 stroke from about -09.

The engine is completely stuck in down position, and the tilt won't move it a single bit. In attempt to lift it, I have opened the vault as described in the manual, but it's still completely stuck - even though oil has leaked out after opening the vault. It's impossible to lift it even a little bit by hand, also while pushing the up button.

When I tried forcing it with A FORK LIFT, it could move just a few inches (measuring down by the prop), as far as the first cylinder will let it move ("trim"), but as soon as the bigger "tilt" cylinder needs to move, the engine won't move a single bit. I lifted the whole boat and trailer, weighing about 2 tons, but the engine still won't budge a bit.

The pump engine was acting up before this happened, and now it doesn't even make a sound when pressing up and down buttons. The relay clicks and I've measured 12V by the pump engine as it's supposed to be. So, at this point I think it should be the electric pump engine that is toast. BUT, shouldn't it still be possible to lift the engine after releasing the vault, even though the pump engine is bust??

I've read a bit about some hydraulic locking that can occur if you transport the boat, with the engine lifted with the hydraulic. Something about a too high oil pressure building up by the engine's bouncing about. I'm always careful following the instructions when transporting, and using mechanical lock to keep the engine lifted (not hydraulics), but could this be a plausible cause? I'm thinking that the pump engine should show some signs of life even if there's an oil pressure locking the tilt? And wouldn't opening the vault release this crazy pressure too?

I hope someone can give me a hint what to do. I've been calling workshops for ideas, and if someone could take it in and fix it. It's a long travel to the nearest repair men though, so if possible I'd really love to avoid it. And no one recognizes the problem, they say that just opening the vault would make it possible to lift the engine.

Best wishes, Patrik
Old 09 July 2014, 07:04   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Possible that a ram(s) are seized?
I think you're going to have to start disconnecting things to see if the engine will lift with the rams disconnected. If it does then it points to a fault in the hydraulic side of things. If it doesn't then there may be damage/seizure of the pivot points/tubes.
As always, be very careful as you don't want any injuries!