Old 01 March 2019, 07:38   #1

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
Rigging Hose Replacement

This is a relatively simple question/answer I hope to those that know! I want to replace the rigging hose on the outboard. The current one was sliced open by Humber and wrapped around the cables and then secured with cable ties. I would like to run the connections through a new hose. This will require disconnection from the engine end, possible shortening the cables/lines etc (if this can be done?) and then sliding through a new tube/rigging hose and then securing the new Rigging hose end to the deck and finally reconnecting all to the engine. I have been advised this is circa 7 hours work, which intuitively feels a lot. I checked with another engineer who said 2-3 hours. Do any of you have an idea as to how long this should take a competent smart marine engineer to do? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OCHI - Rear Rigging Tube to be replaced.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	128574  
Old 01 March 2019, 08:02   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Rigging Hose Replacement

I’ve done this before. Took me a morning to do including tea breaks. Probably about 4 hours tops. I’m not a marine engineer & I was doing it outside. I would have thought a savvy experienced marine engineer in a workshop with all the correct tools to hand would easily do the job in 3 hours. Add an hour for recommissioning & final checks.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2019, 08:23   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i agree with dave but why not spiral wrap over the existing hose taking off the tie wraps as you go it will look neat and very cheap to do
Old 01 March 2019, 10:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i agree with dave but why not spiral wrap over the existing hose taking off the tie wraps as you go it will look neat and very cheap to do
Thanks for this Dave and Jeff. Jeff what do you have in mind. I did some googling and found this - is this what youre thinking?
https://www.hosewraps.com/

We will still need to shorten the cables/hoses - is that easy/difficult to do?

Let me know

Thanks

JT
Old 01 March 2019, 10:59   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
this tuff JT different sizes available i think screwfix,cef,rs supply too

s://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-10-28mm-Cable-Spiral-Wrap-Tidy-Cord-Wire-Banding-Loom-Storage-Tube-Wire-Tool/163376793270?hash=item260a040

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Spiral-Wrap...7858/bn_445270

personally i would reroute to take slack out looking at it it's not much to lose could you lose some back in the console if thats where it goes, humber use to just run along the floor not under deck
Old 01 March 2019, 11:35   #6

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
It’s not an overall long job to do. I’ve just done mine. Cowling off, gear and throttle cables disconnected, engine loom and steering disconnected, fuel and oil lines depending on whether 2s or 4s.

Couple of hours work. The hardest part is going to be shortening the cables. There’s only so much room on the side of the cowling for the loom and if it’s a cable gear shifter that can’t be done, so toy might just have to pull the cable back towards the console instead.

Fuel line can be shortened.

Easiest option is to just pull it all through towards the console and lose it in there instead.

Why did they cut it in the first place??
Seems a bit drastic
Old 01 March 2019, 13:37   #7

RIBase
You can pull a foot or so of throttle & gear cable back into the console, but try & avoid loops. Every curve & loop you put into the cable will introduce play into the system. Shortening battery cables & hoses is easy enough.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 02 March 2019, 06:05   #8

Gents, thanks for your inputs. Hugely appreciated. I clearly dont want to introduce any more loops and thereby introduce play in the system if that can be avoided. You will see in the pic there is already one larger loop there at he transom - I ideally want to remove loops etc as part of this tidy up.

What I have not mentioned here is that this is also being done in conjunction with replacement of the of the Remote Control Throttle Binacle at the helm (new Suzuki one being installed). They reckon that will take circa 2 hours to do on its own. Does that make a difference when shortening the cables? My point being is that the cables where installed this length when the boat was new, we always reckoned it may have been a rush job to finish for the Southampton Boat Show, but surely these cables/lines etc can be adjusted /shortened just as would be the case if the boat was a different config with the helm further back to the stern. What are the challenges and requirements to shorten these cables. Does it mean new cables? Is that an expensive item? Thanks again for all your help and inputs. JT
Old 02 March 2019, 07:53   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post
Gents, thanks for your inputs. Hugely appreciated. I clearly dont want to introduce any more loops and thereby introduce play in the system if that can be avoided. You will see in the pic there is already one larger loop there at he transom - I ideally want to remove loops etc as part of this tidy up.

What I have not mentioned here is that this is also being done in conjunction with replacement of the of the Remote Control Throttle Binacle at the helm (new Suzuki one being installed). They reckon that will take circa 2 hours to do on its own. Does that make a difference when shortening the cables? My point being is that the cables where installed this length when the boat was new, we always reckoned it may have been a rush job to finish for the Southampton Boat Show, but surely these cables/lines etc can be adjusted /shortened just as would be the case if the boat was a different config with the helm further back to the stern. What are the challenges and requirements to shorten these cables. Does it mean new cables? Is that an expensive item? Thanks again for all your help and inputs. JT

I’d put new cables in, teleflex extreme. Use the current ones to work out the correct length & buy new.
And yes, changing the binnacle will add time obviously.
Old 02 March 2019, 10:02   #10

Town: Odense
Boat name: ViBe'N
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard/petrol 115
MMSI: 219015941
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
this tuff JT different sizes available i think screwfix,cef,rs supply too

s://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-10-28mm-Cable-Spiral-Wrap-Tidy-Cord-Wire-Banding-Loom-Storage-Tube-Wire-Tool/163376793270?hash=item260a040

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Spiral-Wrap...7858/bn_445270

personally i would reroute to take slack out looking at it it's not much to lose could you lose some back in the console if thats where it goes, humber use to just run along the floor not under deck
Nope. Not in your boat. They are fine below your console or TV installation at home. But out in the open; no. [emoji4]

Bent P.
Bent Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2019, 10:10   #11

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post

Cables can’t be shortened as the ends are mechanically bonded in. Measure up and shorten as needed. As mentioned replace the standard 33 cables with teleflex extreme. That’s what I did. Their available in 1m stage increments and are much smoother.
Old 02 March 2019, 13:29   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
Cables can’t be shortened as the ends are mechanically bonded in. Measure up and shorten as needed. As mentioned replace the standard 33 cables with teleflex extreme. That’s what I did. Their available in 1m stage increments and are much smoother.

I think they’re available in 1’ increments.
Old 06 March 2019, 11:35   #13

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
If you want to replace the rigging hose with similar, have a look at underground cable conduit (for example, at about £3/m). It's very similar to the original stuff, just need to make sure it fits your engine opening and whatever you have on your deck opening. I used similar to install under deck trunking in my Humber.

If you do replace it, it isn't difficult but you'll need to put the cables in the hose in the right order and getting them all through can be a bit of a faff.

Phil M
Old 06 March 2019, 11:56   #14

Many thanks everyone for all your input.

New Extreme Cables ordered as suggested.

I found a nice tubing/rigging pipe with Stainless deck fitting and that is going on too.

I will post some pics when the rigging and seats and other new decking etc on the boat is finished - fingers crossed after a few months it will all be done in the next 3 weeks in time for the new season!

Very Best

JT