Old 12 January 2016, 11:59   #1

Town: Manchester
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke
Pull start or electric start?

I'm in the market for a new 20hp Yamaha 4-stroke tiller steer

Pull-start or electric? Any pro's or con's with either. I can see electric start being a very nice feature but extra bits to go wrong, heavy battery etc?

Also, for a small 20hp tiller steer will you bother with power tilt, think I am correct that they do not come with power trim only manual?

I know I would like the full works and power tilt can come in handy in the shallows when I'm lure fishing but for the extra money is it really worth it on a tiller steer outboard?

Any views and recommendations appreciated!
Old 12 January 2016, 12:28   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
You don't generally get (or ever need!) power tilt on a simple clamped on small engine like this.

Trim adjustments are not really needed either, 90% of the time it will be on the 2nd or 3rd hole out, unless you really wanted to change it for a big head or following sea at speed. Easier just to shift people/load though.

Same for electric start too - the pull is very easy even for a child to do and all the extra gubbins incl battery is just far more weight and things to go wrong.

The easiest tilt mech I have used is on the Mercs - kind of semi-automatic as you raise the engine and no lever to pull or whatever.
Old 12 January 2016, 12:30   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I cannot see a 20 hp engine been so hard to start that it requires electric strat. I would go with a pull starter. I had a 40 hp 2 stroke tiller which was easy to start.

TSM
Old 12 January 2016, 12:35   #4

Thanks for the feedback, I currently have a 25hp 2 stroke yam thats pull start so no issues with manual starting at all. Just getting a new rig and wanted to see if it's worth my extra hard earned and whatever other pros or cons there might have been.
Old 12 January 2016, 12:39   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
What is the new set up?
Old 12 January 2016, 12:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
What is the new set up?
I love my aerotec Max, especially with a 25 on the back but with wife and daughter it's getting a bit cramped now, especially as we mostly use it for lure fishing so have been looking at open boats with the new Orkney longliner 2 high on the list.

I hope thats not swearing on here

Old 12 January 2016, 17:08   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I have an electric start 2str 20HP Yam. It is on remotes and the engine is out of reach of the console. If I had tiller steer not sure I would bother. I definitely wouldn't if I was lifting the engine off each time and thus having to connect batteries etc.

Certainly when I bought mine PTT wasn't available on the 20HP. If it was a planing craft with fixed seat (load) positions PTT would be nice to have but not essential. I'd not bother on a SIB. Do you have it now - if not you won't miss it. Shallow drive / tilt is not much effort.

Have you considered keeping the 25 and just selling the boat?
Old 12 January 2016, 18:27   #8

Hi Poly

My 25 is a short shaft, the new boat if I go for it requires a long shaft. Shame really as I would have loved to keep mine. It works great and I have confidence it. Might still keep it as I like my Aerotec.

I think I'll stick to manual start/tilt then. On the new boat it will be fixed in place as it will live on a trailer, just invisioned myself sitting there pressing buttons, such a nice sound when she tilts but also don't want to pay the extra cash uncessary. Thanks for the input guys...
Old 14 January 2016, 05:09   #9
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Once had a forty merc with electric start. What I did like is that it also had a pull-starter too. Good when a battery, charging or starter problem happens. I also liked that electric start motors always have a 5-8 amp battery charging system.

But yes, I agree with a poster above re the more parts/options, the more that could go wrong. I'd certainly get/check the engine serial number to find out just what year the engine is and do a wet/dry compression test before buying.
Good Luck.
Old 14 January 2016, 08:47   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris A View Post
I'm in the market for a new 20hp Yamaha 4-stroke tiller steer

Pull-start or electric? Any pro's or con's with either. I can see electric start being a very nice feature but extra bits to go wrong, heavy battery etc?

Also, for a small 20hp tiller steer will you bother with power tilt, think I am correct that they do not come with power trim only manual?

I know I would like the full works and power tilt can come in handy in the shallows when I'm lure fishing but for the extra money is it really worth it on a tiller steer outboard?

Any views and recommendations appreciated!
i have a 25hp suzuiki manual one pull starts it with very little effort a lot less than wheeling the boat round with the weight of a battery and starter motor
Old 14 January 2016, 22:44   #11

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
One thing which may temp you to electric start is if you want any elctronics (nav, lights, depth, fixed vhf) then you need battery etc so if not a lot of extra £££ go for electric start (that size probably has elec and pull) in a solid hull it makes more sense than a SIB...

Don't think PTT is available on the yam 20 but looks like it is on the tohatsu http://www.tohatsu.co.uk/tohatsu-mfs20.htm looks nice and has 5 year warranty too
Old 16 January 2016, 08:06   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfisher View Post

But yes, I agree with a poster above re the more parts/options, the more that could go wrong..

Wise words, the last thing you want to be doing is adding unnecessary bits & bobs that overcomplicate things😏
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 11:04   #13

If you electric start a 20, it usually has pull too. So if battery fails u r fine...
Old 16 January 2016, 21:59   #14

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
If you electric start a 20, it usually has pull too. So if battery fails u r fine...
Our mariner 25 (2 smoke) has both ( manual trim tilt tho)