Old 09 October 2022, 14:59   #1

Town: Midlands
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF100
RIBase
Prop and lower leg hits sandbank, help!

Hi,

Cruising down the Menai straights yesterday and like an idiot ran into a sandbank, luckily at low speed, shut the engine down straight away but managed to get sand and grit into the water intake. On restart (not knowing that the plastic grills were full of crap,) the engine alerted to an overheat so was shutdown again until the blockage was cleared. Managed to restart without any warnings and a good tell tale, returned to shore without issues.

So today I removed the grills and started it up with the lower in a water tank, quite a bit of grit and sand was shot out of the side holes in the lower leg, ran it for a while in clean water and no issues.

On removing the prop I can see that grit has got between the prop and propshaft holder and scoured the hell out of both surfaces, so new prop on its way, I guess I'll also have to somehow remove the propshaft holder and replace this. I've not removed the lower leg yet so haven't inspected the impeller - but can anyone think of any other parts I should inspect for damage?

Gutted!

Many thanks

Old 09 October 2022, 16:44   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Nothing wrong with that, its superficial damage, more cosmetic than anything. If your bothered buy some touch up paint. It wont harm anything long term apart from corroding due to lack of paint. I suspect the gearbox hub is the same just touch it up when you can.
If its pumping water well the impeller will be probably fine too their pretty tolerant of a bit of grit

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 09 October 2022, 16:53   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Hi,

Cruising down the Menai straights yesterday and like an idiot ran into a sandbank, luckily at low speed, shut the engine down straight away but managed to get sand and grit into the water intake. On restart (not knowing that the plastic grills were full of crap,) the engine alerted to an overheat so was shutdown again until the blockage was cleared. Managed to restart without any warnings and a good tell tale, returned to shore without issues.

So today I removed the grills and started it up with the lower in a water tank, quite a bit of grit and sand was shot out of the side holes in the lower leg, ran it for a while in clean water and no issues.

On removing the prop I can see that grit has got between the prop and propshaft holder and scoured the hell out of both surfaces, so new prop on its way, I guess I'll also have to somehow remove the propshaft holder and replace this. I've not removed the lower leg yet so haven't inspected the impeller - but can anyone think of any other parts I should inspect for damage?

Gutted!

Many thanks

Maybe your feeling a bit silly ,but maybe you havnt done too much outside the design spec !,i am sure your not the first to do same and you wont be the last ! imo
Old 09 October 2022, 16:59   #4

Town: Midlands
Make: Highfield
Engine: Honda BF100
RIBase
Yes definitely feeling silly, although in my defence the sandbank was totally submerged, the Garmin told me I was in 6M of water and clear ahead, then all of a sudden it was 50cm.. ouch

Is the impeller housing likely to be knackered now?
Old 09 October 2022, 19:46   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Is the impeller housing likely to be knackered now?[/QUOTE]

Unlikely as its a stainless liner & rubber impeller & probably ran little more than a few seconds with sand through it

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 11 October 2022, 07:10   #6
ptm

Town: Stockport
Boat name: Mine Craft
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
At the risk of stating the obvious, the sandbanks are notorious for shifting in the Straits. A chart plotter alone, although more than useful, won't give you the full picture. A really close eye on the depth sounder is essential especially at low water from Plas Menai heading out towards Abermenai. I guess you’ve found out the hard way but hopefully no significant damage.