Click Here to Login

Old 25 October 2005, 12:52   #1

Town: Solent
Boat name: Hammertime
Make: 6.3 RIB
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 Optimax
Plugs on Quicksliver Laser II prop

I am currently running a s/s Laser II Quicksilver prop with hollow plugs which are supposed to help with the pick-up as exhaust air is channelled along the blade reducing the water density and thus helping acceleration. I am currently not struggling with pick up for wakeboarding etc so was thinking of swapping to the solid plugs as the theory is that this will increase the top end speed!

Does anyone have any experience of these plugs actually making a difference (i.e. speed measured with a gps) or are they just a marketing gimmick?
Old 25 October 2005, 14:09   #2

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Hi Archie,
welcome to Ribnet
Had some of these on my Michigan wheel stainless and sad to say noticed no difference whatsoever when installed, have read elsewhere that they do work so perhaps a bit dependant on boat/engine setup.
Regards
Kernow
Old 25 October 2005, 19:45   #3

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
We test many boats with many different props. Ive always found they work quite well. Usually if your getting cavitation on pick up you can help a bit by putting the plugs in. If you want to get the engine to rev up a bit quicker buy some of the plugs with larger size holes. They come in a few different sizes, they should help your engine rev up quicker. What boat/engine combination are you running?, And you must make sure its all set up ok, You might find a four or even five bladed prop the answer of course!!
Old 25 October 2005, 19:49   #4

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
We test many boats with many different props. Ive always found they work quite well. Usually if your getting cavitation on pick up you can help a bit by putting the plugs in. If you want to get the engine to rev up a bit quicker buy some of the plugs with larger size holes. They come in a few different sizes, they should help your engine rev up quicker. What boat/engine combination are you running?, And you must make sure its all set up ok, You might find a four or even five bladed prop the answer of course!!
Just read your post again!!, 115 Opti on a 6.3m rib. Thats not a particularly big engine for a boat that size. So the plugs might help just to get the engine revs up quicker. I doubt very much if change your max speed though.
Old 25 October 2005, 20:39   #5

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
I'd leave them out. Once planing the vents make no difference at all, but may help with the pull out. I had them on a 5.7ltr mercruiser turning a 21"P prop. I plugged them as the Merc was so grunty they were unecessary. It made zero difference to top end.
Old 26 October 2005, 12:11   #6

Town: Solent
Boat name: Hammertime
Make: 6.3 RIB
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 Optimax
Might try plugging them anyway as we do suffer from cavitation/ventilation if power is appplied too quickly, particularly when exiting from a turn (even with engine trimmed fully down). Thanks for the advice.
Old 26 October 2005, 12:36   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Made no difference to my top speed when I put the blanking plugs in.

None of that "wheelspin" feeling when accellerating now.
Old 26 October 2005, 14:50   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by archie720
Might try plugging them anyway as we do suffer from cavitation/ventilation if power is appplied too quickly, particularly when exiting from a turn (even with engine trimmed fully down). Thanks for the advice.
I get the same with my non-vented prop. Giving it handfuls of throttle causes mine to vent badly when accelerating out of a slow turn. Easing the revs in a bit cures it.