Old 05 February 2006, 16:25   #1

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
PITOT warning

spent 4 hrs in bristol channel today lovelly calm day,

noticed on way back to land smart craft gauge was reading check PITOT ?

any ideas what it means, what have i broke? presume it is a ptt fault ie maybe i was over trimmed at some point,,
many thanks for any advise given 150 optimax by the way
Old 05 February 2006, 16:50   #2

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
The pitot hole and tube is only for measuring speed. If this hole becomes fouled, or you are tilted up too high your speedometer will suffer and give incorrect readings. Check to see if there is nothing blocking the pitot hole on the leading edge of the gearbox. Quite often there is a joint about 5 cm from the pitot hole in the tube - you could disconnect it and blow compressed air to clear it.
Old 05 February 2006, 17:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
The pitot hole and tube is only for measuring speed. If this hole becomes fouled, or you are tilted up too high your speedometer will suffer and give incorrect readings. Check to see if there is nothing blocking the pitot hole on the leading edge of the gearbox. Quite often there is a joint about 5 cm from the pitot hole in the tube - you could disconnect it and blow compressed air to clear it.
nice response many thanks.. i thought the speedo run from the paddle wheel but will check,, will clearing the obstruction if one. will it remove the warning from the guages? best dig my manual out..
Old 05 February 2006, 20:45   #4

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Your speedo uses the paddle wheel for slow speeds and the pitot for hi speeds, The pitot measures the water pressre through a small inlet in the front of the gearbox. From there a small plastic hose that you can see at the front of the engine just above the gearbox that runs up to the powerhead. It will go into a converter that converts the anolge signal to a digital one for you smart craft gauge. Just need to make sure its all intact and nothing has become disconected. Check the small hole on the front of the gearbox to make sure there is no sea muck stuck in the hole too!
Old 06 February 2006, 10:20   #5
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Your speedo uses the paddle wheel for slow speeds and the pitot for hi speeds, The pitot measures the water pressre through a small inlet in the front of the gearbox. From there a small plastic hose that you can see at the front of the engine just above the gearbox that runs up to the powerhead. It will go into a converter that converts the anolge signal to a digital one for you smart craft gauge. Just need to make sure its all intact and nothing has become disconected. Check the small hole on the front of the gearbox to make sure there is no sea muck stuck in the hole too!
I often get the PITOT warning at high speed on my new 200 Opti - if you search this forum you'll find that most Opti owners report this as well. Nothing to worry about, the manual indeed confirms that it is only related to your speedo indications, which I don't find very accurate anyway!
Old 06 February 2006, 18:44   #6

checked her out today no can see any thing a do, and fault has cleared from guages guess your right air time given fault me thinks.
chers guys
Old 10 February 2006, 18:39   #7

Boat name: actionboat Diablo
Make: Ravenribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 350 SCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent
checked her out today no can see any thing a do, and fault has cleared from guages guess your right air time given fault me thinks.
chers guys
It will come again. I had it when jumbing the waves. you can say no to pitot on the smartcraft.
I will try to explain or turbodiesel will do it better in your langue.
on the smartcraft press the 2 botton on right. ontil the CAL 1 shows. then say yes or no to the thing show. (show olie water temp est) at the last one it says cal 2 press the right botton. and you will have some more options..
and it will show PITOT yes - no. press no.
Hope you understand..

BR Jan
Old 10 February 2006, 19:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionboat.dk
It will come again. I had it when jumbing the waves. you can say no to pitot on the smartcraft.
I will try to explain or turbodiesel will do it better in your langue.
on the smartcraft press the 2 botton on right. ontil the CAL 1 shows. then say yes or no to the thing show. (show olie water temp est) at the last one it says cal 2 press the right botton. and you will have some more options..
and it will show PITOT yes - no. press no.
Hope you understand..

BR Jan
nice one bloke will give it a go in the morning