Old 16 May 2022, 17:50   #1

Length: no boat
Parsun 2 Stroke Outboards

Can anyone please tell me of any hands on experience they've got with 2 stroke Parsuns? Some say that they're great, some say that they're junk and the biggest concern I have got if I were to get one is that it might not have much in the way of a resale value later on down the line.
Old 16 May 2022, 18:51   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Go to the 'Search' box at the top & enter the word Parsun.
194 posts - some just the word & others with a bit more.
Old 16 May 2022, 19:58   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by future_sailor View Post
Can anyone please tell me of any hands on experience they've got with 2 stroke Parsuns? Some say that they're great, some say that they're junk and the biggest concern I have got if I were to get one is that it might not have much in the way of a resale value later on down the line.
I have absolutely no experience of Parsun whatsoever, but that fact that you are concerned about its "resale value later on down the line" IMO has answered the very question you have in the back of your mind. If you're thinking it so are many, many others which will suppress its resale value.
Old 18 May 2022, 15:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I have absolutely no experience of Parsun whatsoever, but that fact that you are concerned about its "resale value later on down the line" IMO has answered the very question you have in the back of your mind. If you're thinking it so are many, many others which will suppress its resale value.
That said though, I can’t say that I’ve seen any bargain basement secondhand 2 stroke Parsun 9.8s for sale.
Old 18 May 2022, 16:05   #5

Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Engine: Outboard
Hi
I have 2 parsuns and 2 mariners i have a 15hp and 3.6 hp 2 stroke admittedly the 3.6 is an aux and doesn't get much use. What attracted me was the price and the fact there is no dealer servicing requirements to keep the 3 year warranty. Factor in dealer servicing on a new mariner or tohatsu and you have pretty much negated any savings over ownership in resale value. They are pretty well made with everything under the hood stainless and reasonable quality my particular motor is an exact copy of a yamaha e15d. I was worried initially that they would be underpowered as I had heard that this could be the case with some Chinese outboards but my 15 pushes the t38 4mph faster than the mariner 10 and I reckon that's about right. They both start easily and the 15hp is much quieter than the 10 it is replacing. Only negative for me is I wish it had a kill switch or button as you have to pull the safety cord to kill the engine. My thoughts are if they last 3 years then I'm winning especially with the prices being charged for second hand engines. I was also sick of buying second hand engines that where not as described the last one needing over 300 putting into it before I could use it.
Go for it you won't regret it

Matt
Old 18 May 2022, 18:44   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by future_sailor View Post

No experience with Parsun engines, but here’s my 2 penneth.
If I bought one, I’d be buying in the mind set that it was a one off disposable purchase. I’d use it to destruction & enjoy it for what it was. If I got something for it down the line, bonus.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 20:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
No experience with Parsun engines, but here’s my 2 penneth.
If I bought one, I’d be buying in the mind set that it was a one off disposable purchase. I’d use it to destruction & enjoy it for what it was. If I got something for it down the line, bonus.
EXACTLY What I thought when I bought mine ! I was sick of buying second hand junk so thought I would take a punt.

I did do quite a bit of research though before hand and the few bad reviews i found where over 10 years old. The 4 strokes are badged as coleman in the states and the Americans seem to rate them in quite high regard. I'm not sure I would be ready to invest big money into a larger 4 stroke one yet though on a 3 year basis I will let you all know how it pans out.

Matt
Old 19 May 2022, 08:24   #8

I'll caveat this with the detail that I have zero experience of the brand but my understanding was that they were a Chinese company building mainly older Yamaha designs? As such, those designs are about as tried, tested and proven as they come so the risk would be down mainly to possibly less than ideal component manufacture followed by assembly? As is slighting typical of domestic Chinese manufacture. I would also guess that they've trodden the same path as many such manufacturers in being quite ropey and inconsistent in their early days but having improved considerably as they learned that Western export markets have higher expectations.

If they are older Yamaha designs then self maintenance should be simple enough and they seem to offer a fair discount to the more traditional brands.

If buying new with the intent of leisure use over a reasonable number of years then given the premiums still running on used stuff then they possibly make a lot of sense.
Old 19 May 2022, 08:48   #9

Agreed
Old 19 May 2022, 10:19   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I think that's a very fair assessment and useful input from Matt.

While I've had far better luck in finding used outboards that are fault free I'm happy to service/overhaul post purchase. But if you just wanted to get on the water fuss free without having to consider working on them before use then (for example) a new Parsun 15hp 2-stroke is the same price as the 15-20yr old Mercury/Yamahas have been fetching lately.

I note too it's based on the commercial version of the Yamaha.
Old 19 May 2022, 11:48   #11

Thanks Fenlander

Going to service the 15hp over the next couple of days I will post up a a few piccies under the hood.

Take care

Matt
Old 19 May 2022, 15:32   #12

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
Thanks Fenlander

Going to service the 15hp over the next couple of days I will post up a a few piccies under the hood.

Take care

Matt
Hi Matt interested in a parsun 2 stroke, where can I buy in the UK [emoji6]
Old 19 May 2022, 15:51   #13

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Have PM'd you where you might get one... for your business.
Old 19 May 2022, 15:54   #14

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Have PM'd you where you might get one... for your business.
Got you [emoji106]
Old 19 May 2022, 16:37   #15

Bill Higham marine i have to say I have found them very good to deal with.

Piccys as promised serviced this afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_154420.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	140558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_154409.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	140559   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_154402.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	140560  
Old 19 May 2022, 19:07   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
Hi
I have 2 parsuns and 2 mariners i have a 15hp and 3.6 hp 2 stroke admittedly the 3.6 is an aux and doesn't get much use. What attracted me was the price and the fact there is no dealer servicing requirements to keep the 3 year warranty. Factor in dealer servicing on a new mariner or tohatsu and you have pretty much negated any savings over ownership in resale value. They are pretty well made with everything under the hood stainless and reasonable quality my particular motor is an exact copy of a yamaha e15d. I was worried initially that they would be underpowered as I had heard that this could be the case with some Chinese outboards but my 15 pushes the t38 4mph faster than the mariner 10 and I reckon that's about right. They both start easily and the 15hp is much quieter than the 10 it is replacing. Only negative for me is I wish it had a kill switch or button as you have to pull the safety cord to kill the engine. My thoughts are if they last 3 years then I'm winning especially with the prices being charged for second hand engines. I was also sick of buying second hand engines that where not as described the last one needing over 300 putting into it before I could use it.
Go for it you won't regret it

Matt
A bad experience with a ‘mint’ secondhand 2 stroke is exactly what’s driving me towards a Parsun Matt and the point you’ve made about the cost of dealer servicing is a really good one that I hadn’t considered. I don’t think the 9.8 that I’m interested in is a Yamaha copy though, believe it’s a knock off Tohatsu 9.8?
Old 19 May 2022, 19:31   #17

Definately I still have a 25hp mariner that I have not actually been able to use yet and has given me nothing but rowing practice in the Humber not exactly ideal, its been at the local repair shop for 10 days now and its the second go at fixing it. The 9.8 looks great and at only 26kg easy to move around there was a guy posting on Facebook about his last week he said he had used it for 5 years with no issues.
I'd say pull the trigger you won't regret it.

BR

Matt

Tags
outboard