Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 May 2022, 17:50   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 55
Parsun 2 Stroke Outboards

Can anyone please tell me of any hands on experience they've got with 2 stroke Parsuns? Some say that they're great, some say that they're junk and the biggest concern I have got if I were to get one is that it might not have much in the way of a resale value later on down the line.
__________________

__________________
future_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 18:51   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,260
Go to the 'Search' box at the top & enter the word Parsun.
194 posts - some just the word & others with a bit more.
__________________

__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2022, 19:58   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 15HP
MMSI: 235924407
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by future_sailor View Post
Can anyone please tell me of any hands on experience they've got with 2 stroke Parsuns? Some say that they're great, some say that they're junk and the biggest concern I have got if I were to get one is that it might not have much in the way of a resale value later on down the line.
I have absolutely no experience of Parsun whatsoever, but that fact that you are concerned about its "resale value later on down the line" IMO has answered the very question you have in the back of your mind. If you're thinking it so are many, many others which will suppress its resale value.
__________________
Steve509926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 15:36   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I have absolutely no experience of Parsun whatsoever, but that fact that you are concerned about its "resale value later on down the line" IMO has answered the very question you have in the back of your mind. If you're thinking it so are many, many others which will suppress its resale value.
That said though, I canít say that Iíve seen any bargain basement secondhand 2 stroke Parsun 9.8s for sale.
__________________
future_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 16:05   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 21
Hi
I have 2 parsuns and 2 mariners i have a 15hp and 3.6 hp 2 stroke admittedly the 3.6 is an aux and doesn't get much use. What attracted me was the price and the fact there is no dealer servicing requirements to keep the 3 year warranty. Factor in dealer servicing on a new mariner or tohatsu and you have pretty much negated any savings over ownership in resale value. They are pretty well made with everything under the hood stainless and reasonable quality my particular motor is an exact copy of a yamaha e15d. I was worried initially that they would be underpowered as I had heard that this could be the case with some Chinese outboards but my 15 pushes the t38 4mph faster than the mariner 10 and I reckon that's about right. They both start easily and the 15hp is much quieter than the 10 it is replacing. Only negative for me is I wish it had a kill switch or button as you have to pull the safety cord to kill the engine. My thoughts are if they last 3 years then I'm winning especially with the prices being charged for second hand engines. I was also sick of buying second hand engines that where not as described the last one needing over 300 putting into it before I could use it.
Go for it you won't regret it

Matt
__________________
Matt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 18:44   #6
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,134
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by future_sailor View Post
Can anyone please tell me of any hands on experience they've got with 2 stroke Parsuns? Some say that they're great, some say that they're junk and the biggest concern I have got if I were to get one is that it might not have much in the way of a resale value later on down the line.


No experience with Parsun engines, but hereís my 2 penneth.
If I bought one, Iíd be buying in the mind set that it was a one off disposable purchase. Iíd use it to destruction & enjoy it for what it was. If I got something for it down the line, bonus.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 20:26   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
No experience with Parsun engines, but hereís my 2 penneth.
If I bought one, Iíd be buying in the mind set that it was a one off disposable purchase. Iíd use it to destruction & enjoy it for what it was. If I got something for it down the line, bonus.
EXACTLY What I thought when I bought mine ! I was sick of buying second hand junk so thought I would take a punt.

I did do quite a bit of research though before hand and the few bad reviews i found where over 10 years old. The 4 strokes are badged as coleman in the states and the Americans seem to rate them in quite high regard. I'm not sure I would be ready to invest big money into a larger 4 stroke one yet though on a 3 year basis I will let you all know how it pans out.

Matt
__________________
Matt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 08:24   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 686
I'll caveat this with the detail that I have zero experience of the brand but my understanding was that they were a Chinese company building mainly older Yamaha designs? As such, those designs are about as tried, tested and proven as they come so the risk would be down mainly to possibly less than ideal component manufacture followed by assembly? As is slighting typical of domestic Chinese manufacture. I would also guess that they've trodden the same path as many such manufacturers in being quite ropey and inconsistent in their early days but having improved considerably as they learned that Western export markets have higher expectations.

If they are older Yamaha designs then self maintenance should be simple enough and they seem to offer a fair discount to the more traditional brands.

If buying new with the intent of leisure use over a reasonable number of years then given the premiums still running on used stuff then they possibly make a lot of sense.
__________________
TmMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 08:48   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 21
Agreed
__________________
Matt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 10:19   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,466
I think that's a very fair assessment and useful input from Matt.

While I've had far better luck in finding used outboards that are fault free I'm happy to service/overhaul post purchase. But if you just wanted to get on the water fuss free without having to consider working on them before use then (for example) a new Parsun 15hp 2-stroke is the same price as the 15-20yr old Mercury/Yamahas have been fetching lately.

I note too it's based on the commercial version of the Yamaha.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 11:48   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 21
Thanks Fenlander

Going to service the 15hp over the next couple of days I will post up a a few piccies under the hood.

Take care

Matt
__________________
Matt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 15:32   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
Thanks Fenlander



Going to service the 15hp over the next couple of days I will post up a a few piccies under the hood.



Take care



Matt
Hi Matt interested in a parsun 2 stroke, where can I buy in the UK
__________________
whiskylee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 15:51   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,466
Have PM'd you where you might get one... for your business.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 15:54   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Have PM'd you where you might get one... for your business.
Got you
__________________
whiskylee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 16:37   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 21
Bill Higham marine i have to say I have found them very good to deal with.

Piccys as promised serviced this afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_154420.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	140558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_154409.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	140559   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_154402.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	140560  
__________________
Matt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 19:07   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
Hi
I have 2 parsuns and 2 mariners i have a 15hp and 3.6 hp 2 stroke admittedly the 3.6 is an aux and doesn't get much use. What attracted me was the price and the fact there is no dealer servicing requirements to keep the 3 year warranty. Factor in dealer servicing on a new mariner or tohatsu and you have pretty much negated any savings over ownership in resale value. They are pretty well made with everything under the hood stainless and reasonable quality my particular motor is an exact copy of a yamaha e15d. I was worried initially that they would be underpowered as I had heard that this could be the case with some Chinese outboards but my 15 pushes the t38 4mph faster than the mariner 10 and I reckon that's about right. They both start easily and the 15hp is much quieter than the 10 it is replacing. Only negative for me is I wish it had a kill switch or button as you have to pull the safety cord to kill the engine. My thoughts are if they last 3 years then I'm winning especially with the prices being charged for second hand engines. I was also sick of buying second hand engines that where not as described the last one needing over 300 putting into it before I could use it.
Go for it you won't regret it

Matt
A bad experience with a Ďmintí secondhand 2 stroke is exactly whatís driving me towards a Parsun Matt and the point youíve made about the cost of dealer servicing is a really good one that I hadnít considered. I donít think the 9.8 that Iím interested in is a Yamaha copy though, believe itís a knock off Tohatsu 9.8?
__________________
future_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2022, 19:31   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Grimsby
Boat name: Honda
Make: Honda marine
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 21
Definately I still have a 25hp mariner that I have not actually been able to use yet and has given me nothing but rowing practice in the Humber not exactly ideal, its been at the local repair shop for 10 days now and its the second go at fixing it. The 9.8 looks great and at only 26kg easy to move around there was a guy posting on Facebook about his last week he said he had used it for 5 years with no issues.
I'd say pull the trigger you won't regret it.

BR

Matt
__________________

__________________
Matt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
outboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.