Old 03 June 2013, 15:53   #1

Town: shrule
Length: under 3m
outboard probs

hi guys....newbie probs...finally got out our on 2.5 m sib and 4hp yamaha 2 stroke engine the weekend.... first time out sibbing...had great fun until we ran out of petrol (rookie mistake, will learn from it).... when i topped up with petrol i couldnt get the engine to start again.... got home and tried it to flush out the salt water and it started for like 10 secs and stopped... tried it a few times and its kicking in for about 5-10 secs but keeps stopping.... anyone got any idea on this before i bring it to my local boat shop... did we damage the engine by running out or am i just doin something very stupid....
Old 03 June 2013, 18:02   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Is it a new or used 2 strokes engine ? Was 2 strokes oil added to fuel when refilling again ? Engine runs on a interior or exterior fuel tank ? If interior, fuel is fed by gravity, takes some 10 seconds to flow from tank to carb bowl. Will need to choque carb again for an easy re start.

If it's a used engine, probably contaminated fuel on tank has clogged the small fuel filter located inside fuel cock if happens to have one. Check having good fuel flow from tank to carb.

Happy Boating
Old 03 June 2013, 18:10   #3

its a 2nd hand engine with an interior fuel tank.... ran perfectly for about hr and half until we ran out... when i refilled it wouldnt start again... just tried it again and it kicked in for about 20 secs then just slowly stopped....
Old 03 June 2013, 18:13   #4
RIBnet Supporter

I think what Loco is asking is did you put two stroke oil in the petrol?

When you ran dry, you may have sucked dirt into the carbs. Tell us what engine it is. Did you remember to open the vent on the tank cap the second time?
Old 03 June 2013, 18:19   #5

yea i used 2 stroke oil with a 50:1 mix... started the same way... open the airvent, turn on fuel, open choke, put throttle to start position and pull chord...its a 1995 4hp yamaha 2 stroke model 6E 0-10...
Old 03 June 2013, 18:30   #6

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Usually pretty reliable motor. Have you tried it with no choke ? Pull the sparkplug out & have a look to see if it's wet.
Old 03 June 2013, 18:30   #7

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiebrew View Post
yea i used 2 stroke oil with a 50:1 mix... started the same way... open the airvent, turn on fuel, open choke, put throttle to start position and pull chord...its a 1995 4hp yamaha 2 stroke model 6E 0-10...
Really shouldnt need choke if it had just been running, did you try with out ? They were also 100:1 at that age, using double that wont damage it but it will smoke a lot.

Fuel filter is easy and cheap to change, might be clogged up as suggested above.
Old 03 June 2013, 18:31   #8

Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Do you prime it? Our two strokes are a pain if they're not properly primed first — a few seconds running and they gradually dwindle to a halt (unless caught with a dab of choke).
Old 03 June 2013, 18:48   #9

tried it without the choke and wont start at all... not sure how to prime it... first engine and total novice... checked the spark plug and is dry...the guy i bought it off said he had just given it a full service (they prob all say that but he seemed genuine enough).... as i said it worked fine until i ran out of fuel...was hoping it was something small before i bring it to someone...
Old 03 June 2013, 18:48   #10

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I think I would check the carb!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2013, 19:08   #11

thanks guys... gonna bring it to someone tomorrow and hopefully wont cost me much....
Old 03 June 2013, 20:29   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Yammie 4hp 2-strokes are practically bomb-proof. Before you put it in somewhere. Double-check the spark-plug. Extract it, dry it and then screw it back in. Ensure tank is vented.

On the carb, there should be a brass slotted head drain screw under the fuel bowl. Close the fuel cut off switch, then undo the slotted head carb screw and allow the existing fuel to drain out. Tighten it up, open the fuel switch and try starting it.
Old 03 June 2013, 20:33   #13

tks, will try tomorrow have it put away now.... will let you know how i get on
Old 04 June 2013, 05:54   #14

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Have you checked your fuel tap ? I run all my two strokes out of fuel when I'm putting them away for a period all the time to drain the float chambers !
If the plugs are dry after attempting to start with the choke it suggests no fuel !
Old 04 June 2013, 08:22   #15

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
When you restarted, I assume it was a couple of mins after it ran out?

I can only think of 1 engine I have ever used that I needed to use the choke on a warm start. (and I then altered the idle mix to where it should have been!)

Thing with a small flooded engine is you have to pull the starter about 10000 times to "pump" the flooding out the cyls. To cure flooding you need to wide open the throttle, choke "off" & pull & pull & pull & pull till your arm gets sore! (and it takes twice as long on those because the neutral interlock only allows you something like 1/3 throttle.....)

Assuming of course that you flooded it!
Old 04 June 2013, 15:57   #16

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If after choking plug was found dry, fuel is not being correct amount fed into combustion chamber. Remove interior fuel tank along fuel cock & carb fuel hose. Open air vent, open fuel cock. Check fuel flow, by gravity should be constant, if hesitates a bit, you have a fuel restriction between tank and carb.

The 4 HP model which has only the interior tank, has a inner small tube mesh located at bottom of tank (where hose connects) if thin mesh clogs and clogs easily with impurities, there's your problem. If there's a round filter along the line too, replace for a new one.

Fuel system should be cleaned periodically, take into account that you are sometimes buying impurities along fuel at service stations.

Happy Boating
Old 18 June 2013, 14:24   #17

still no joy with my motor, dropped it in to get the carb cleaned but when i rang back last week was told there was something else wrong that the mechanic couldnt fix...waiting for the owner of the place to have a look at it now... said if its anything big he will ring me before he does anything.... hope its nothing major as i only used it once
Old 18 June 2013, 21:49   #18

Hi, I am new too. New to boating; new to Ribbing; but not new to 2-stroke motors.
Check your fuel filler cap. First leave the cap unscrewed entirely (no smoking or naked flame please, or we may never hear from you again) and if the motor runs properly, then your prob is a vacuum in the tank. Some filler caps have an inner and an outer screw-cap. Tighten, the outer one back on & loosen the inner one. Job done.
HOWEVER...
If removing the filler cap made no difference, then you almost certainly have a blocked main jet. The function of the main jet is to atomise the fuel (kind of an aerosol spray effect) and it can usually be found inside the float chamber at the very bottom of the carburettor. Usually made from brass & with a hexagonal shape to it.
Unscrew the jet anti-clockwise & remove it. If you are not squeamish, put it to your lips and blow through it. Those who don't like the taste of petrol might prefer to use an airline. Alternatively run a fine wire or needle through it. Screw it back in; screw the float chamber back on & presto..!!
That should do ya...!!!
Cheers..!! Go easy on the gas...
Soulman, Belfast
Old 18 June 2013, 22:03   #19

P.S. now since the whole thing began with a refuelling situation... what do you think is the likelihood of it being the filler cap?
Certainly that's where I would look first..provided of course, that your friendly local repairman hasn't blamed some impossible widget and relieved you of £500 for the privilege of fixing it.
Old 18 June 2013, 22:29   #20

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
i have been told to run my engines dry to burn the fuel off the carbs

use a bit of choke but put it in as soon as it starts i,i find i have to play around a
bit till it gets warm

it`s a nightmare trying to start them from an internal tank ,i find i have to pull it a load of times to try to get the fuel through

check the sparkplug and you can check the coil with an ht tester too , i`m hoping it`s not carb related as trying to find someone who knows about floats and needles is really hard, if you get no joy i`m sure someone on the forum could recomend someone close