Old 02 May 2018, 15:38   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
Outboard mounting bolts

Just wondering am I ok using regular A4 (316) stainless M12 bolts to mount my 90hp to the transom or is there anything special needed?
Old 02 May 2018, 16:36   #2

Town: New York City
Boat name: SR6M
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 338232981
RIBase
Not sure about bolt size but use 3M 4200 to seal holes.
Old 03 May 2018, 06:09   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarner View Post
Just wondering am I ok using regular A4 (316) stainless M12 bolts to mount my 90hp to the transom or is there anything special needed?
I've been advised not to as the proper engine bolts are far stronger than normal stainless which is why they are so expensive.
Old 03 May 2018, 08:31   #4

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've been advised not to as the proper engine bolts are far stronger than normal stainless which is why they are so expensive.
they are usually a finer thread than bog standard stainless bolts as well I would go for the proper bolts I think you could really do without a set of bolts shearing off and the motor falling into the drink
Old 03 May 2018, 11:07   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I've Seen plenty with standard 316 bolts been on for years with no problems so it wouldnt worry me to use standard bolts with nylocs. A 90hp isnt exactly huge in comparison to some engines hung on the same brackets
The fine thread bolts that come with some engines seem to have nuts made from a fairly soft alloy so i doubt its to do with strength
Id happily use standard m12 316 bolts with your engine
Old 03 May 2018, 11:27   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
the clamping force that a fine thread gives is higher than a metric coarse bolt will give for the same applied torque insufficient torque means less clamping force which could result in things like fretting on the mounting faces 316 is a fairly poop stainless more likely to get galling as well but hey ho its your engine not mines I dare say there are loads of folk that know there onions when it comes to bolts and threads 90hp may not sound like a large engine but I bet the manufacturer will recommend decent hardware ive never seen in an instruction manual anything that reads fit any old crap that you've got lying around the shop
ps use decent washers as well to get a wide clamping area as well
Old 03 May 2018, 13:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
the clamping force that a fine thread gives is higher than a metric coarse bolt will give for the same applied torque insufficient torque means less clamping force which could result in things like fretting on the mounting faces 316 is a fairly poop stainless more likely to get galling as well but hey ho its your engine not mines I dare say there are loads of folk that know there onions when it comes to bolts and threads 90hp may not sound like a large engine but I bet the manufacturer will recommend decent hardware ive never seen in an instruction manual anything that reads fit any old crap that you've got lying around the shop
ps use decent washers as well to get a wide clamping area as well
Thats all very true but the fine thread alloy nuts are like chocolate so i doubt the clamping force is the issue.
Its the same size and no of bolts in a 90 as much larger engines
You'd break the engine before the bolts
If your realy bothered use metric fine there easily available
Op doesnt state if hes planning on using 1.75 or 1.5 or 1.25
Old 03 May 2018, 15:05   #8

Town: Bournemouth
Engine: Merc 25hp 2stroke
Thanks guys,

To be honest the outboard is a fairly old Tohatsu 90 and not like its a brand new 4 stroke yam, of course it would still ruin my day if it falls off the transom!

Surely the breaking strength on an M12 bolt has gotta be several tons and with four snugged up tight with large washers I cant see it being under massive strain?

My usual experience is that anything with "marine" or an outboard manufacturer on the package means a licence to inflate the price massively
Old 03 May 2018, 17:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwarner View Post
Thanks guys,

To be honest the outboard is a fairly old Tohatsu 90 and not like its a brand new 4 stroke yam, of course it would still ruin my day if it falls off the transom!

Surely the breaking strength on an M12 bolt has gotta be several tons and with four snugged up tight with large washers I cant see it being under massive strain?

My usual experience is that anything with "marine" or an outboard manufacturer on the package means a licence to inflate the price massively
Exactly!! the inflated price has nowt to do with the material its made from, its the "marine" premium that it acquires when it goes in a bag marked Yamaha,mercury,honda,suzuki
Old 08 May 2018, 15:36   #10

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Outboard mounting bolts

I have used standard A4 bolts, but for a 90hp I would probably use the pro bolts, if you do use the A4 bolts use a standard nut A4 nut with a A4 locking nut locked to that nut.
Have a search for A4 bolts/nuts with a closer thread than the standard nuts and bolts, they will be on eBay and half the price of ones listed as 'marine' !!
Old 10 May 2018, 11:08   #11

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Also, if you use A4 bolts, put some copper grease on the threads before you tighten them. 316 steel work hardens very quickly and can destroy the threads before you have even got that tight and will require cutting off. Trust me, I recently wrote off a load of u-bolts as I didn't know this before I fitted them.

Phil M
Old 10 May 2018, 11:26   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I notice the Suzuki supplied transom bolts that came with my lowly 20hp new in 2016 are a finer thread than standard (as mentioned above) and seemingly corrosion treated/plated rather than stainless steel. Phil makes a good point re tightening stainless bolts where the nuts seize on.

I have no experience of copper grease on stainless but know there are specific anti-seize products for stainless. I usually just put on a dab of waterproof grease as it's what I have to hand.
Old 10 May 2018, 18:57   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Bear in mind stainless stretches when over tightened distorting the thread.

Tags
outboard