Click Here to Login

Old 16 January 2010, 06:46   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
optimax servicing and workshop manuals

service on my 2000 optimax 200 has apparently highlighted some very expensive issues. The dealer is blaming past services for lack of detail.

Could someone give an indication of the importance of these if any, and advise if any of these issues are DIY able.

Has old thermostat and needs upgrading to new unit.
Trim ram ball joint things missing so needs new rams.
HT leads old and cracked.
Brass fittings on water hose kit corodedpink and need replacing with new non brass kit. (believe its hoses that lift water to top of block)
Exhaust gas lower hose is brittle and a new design is available

Sorry not to have the exact technical terms.

Has anyone got the workshop manuals for a 2000 200 optimax pllllllllllllllllease
Old 16 January 2010, 07:27   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
try here if you want to buy one

http://www.tractor-manuals.com/acata...ERCURY_60.html

will post if i find a free one to download
Old 16 January 2010, 08:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
http://www.tractor-manuals.com/acata...ERCURY_60.html

will post if i find a free one to download
thanks, im looking too. But for info all above work is going to cost me around £800-900 +vat not including the general servicing costs
Old 16 January 2010, 08:52   #4

Town: Fareham
Could you not do some of the stuff yourself. HT leads are easy and I bet you could get them for a better price than the dealers. How about the hose replacement and thermostat, these are normally within the DIYers capabilities too.

If it's anything like my DI then there will be multiple thermostats to look at, I have 3 of them.

What dealers did you go to? I'm sure someone could recommend a man in a van that will do the work cheaper than Dealers prices?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 09:06   #5

Town: Fareham
I used to visit the Mercury Parts Express website when I used to own a Merc. But it's not letting me get in there anymore as I'm outside the USA.

Is there anyway of accessing parts info for GT in this manner?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 09:08   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Who is your dealer? Do you trust them?
To me that is more important, I use a garage for my car that is part of a national chain, it is not cheap. However my Brother in law is the assistant manager so if they say it needs something, it needs it, and if they say they have done something, it HAS been done. If you trust the dealer then carry on if not, find some one you do. I know cost has a bearing on it but I would rather pay and have faith in my motor than skimp and have a breakdown at sea...
Just my 2p worth.
I agree with Andy though, do as much as you can yourself as long as you are confident to do so. There are plenty of local ribbers on here that are probably willing to help, that includes me if I can.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 09:27   #7

I work on my own cars, built a track day car etc so am more than capable I think. I wont currently say who the dealer is but I honestly think he is taking the P*$s a little, as he can see how much money ive spent on the boat recently.... Ive heard rumours he is expensive but he is always busy!!

I think, thermostat, coolant hoses, ht leads, possibly even the hose through to exhaust, .are doo able Obvioulsy id like a manual and there are several to choose from, clymer and official merc. The parts pricing seems to match, but his labour appears to not have official times, just another days labour rate.

Bigest problem being Ive spent so much on the boat over last 6 months another £1700 will break the bank
Old 16 January 2010, 11:27   #8

Town: River Hamble
Any engineer worth using and that has the right tools could to that additional list in around 3-4 hours if they are trying to charge a days labour I think it’s a bit OTT.
Old 16 January 2010, 11:37   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I have used RIBS Marine for my opti as have I think other Ribneters . Again not always the cheapest but always 'seem' to be honest & know thier stuff. They also have an online parts store - not the simplest to use but once you have set up the engine etc it find the right parts for you .

Closed Sat & Sun , but may be worth a call on Monday for an opinion , or just order the bits and give it a go ?

I'm guessing parts wise the trim ball jount things are very expensive - maybe worth looking for used ones?

As said worth being sure its not going to stop at the wrong point ..........

http://www.ribsmarine.co.uk/

Unless its them thats telling you allthis !
Old 17 January 2010, 07:20   #10

DCM lymington
Old 19 January 2010, 11:21   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Why not give Kieron @ Ribshop a call?

The trouble is more people are likely to slag off a dealer on a forum but not often sing their praises!?!?!?

I for one have not heard any complaints about the ribshop but I stand to be corrected? They have never let me down anyway...

Alternatively Lee @ Fairweather.....
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 13:23   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It is interesting the way you worded some of these things - I'm not sure if that is how they did it or just they way you typed it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Has old thermostat and needs upgrading to new unit.
so its old or its not working? the two are quite different! if its just old - then why does it NEED upgrading - have Barrus recalled the original?
Quote:
I don't know what that is but replacing a whole ram because one part is missing seems excessive (like when citreon told me I needed a whole new light cluster because the spring that holds the bulb in place had gone awol).
Quote:
Brass fittings on water hose kit corodedpink and need replacing with new non brass kit. (believe its hoses that lift water to top of block)
if its just surface corrosion will they not just clean up? Brass was obviously 'good enough' 8 yrs ago.
Quote:
Exhaust gas lower hose is brittle and a new design is available
does brittle mean 'and is likely to fail' or does it mean 'if we have to take it off/on for any reason will need replacing because it will snap' - ok so a new design is available - but if the old one is working and not about to fail then why bother.

The way its worded most of these things could be 'nice to do' or 'advisory' rather than actually needing done. Certainly in the car world - the idea number of people fixing things has dwindled massively and the modern way seems to be to remove component and replace it rather than fixing/servicing/cleaning the part and refitting. What everyone else says is of course quite right - with your o/board it is a critical device on the boat - but the dealer knows that is how we all think and is selling you on the 'just-in-case' issue.
Old 19 January 2010, 13:36   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Optimax Manuals here : http://www.northernexposurerescue.or..._Resource.html

Chris
Old 19 January 2010, 16:18   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Just had a quick look at the manual that CJL posted. - That's the same 3- ram unit that;s been floating around for years. - Ball Joint????? I can think it might be one of two items - either the thrust pads screwed to the swivel bracket) or the plastic sleve that goes between the "tilt " ram & the pin on the swivel bracket.

I replaced the latter on a Yam PT - the bushes were about a fiver........
Old 19 January 2010, 16:35   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I think the 200 is a differant block (v6?), but guess the 'bits' are common on the rams etc - water system is bound to be differant.....
Old 23 January 2010, 05:42   #16

my wording is how Dealer worded it. Im collecting the boat today, they have done the rams and the £700 service. They have stressed the boat shouldnt be used till the hose tails are done, apparently the brass goes pink and powdery and then fails. Ill be looking into the other work and wont use the boat till its completed. I believe the stat has been updated by merc but not a product recall, according to the dealer its dirty and is working but not perfectly! The worying thing is they seem to think any merc dealer worth his salt would have already recomended these issues and updates.... SO have I been undersold in the past and DCM is acurate orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr have they seen my new tubes, seats and cover and thought £££££££

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
It is interesting the way you worded some of these things - I'm not sure if that is how they did it or just they way you typed it:
so its old or its not working? the two are quite different! if its just old - then why does it NEED upgrading - have Barrus recalled the original?
I don't know what that is but replacing a whole ram because one part is missing seems excessive (like when citreon told me I needed a whole new light cluster because the spring that holds the bulb in place had gone awol).
if its just surface corrosion will they not just clean up? Brass was obviously 'good enough' 8 yrs ago.
does brittle mean 'and is likely to fail' or does it mean 'if we have to take it off/on for any reason will need replacing because it will snap' - ok so a new design is available - but if the old one is working and not about to fail then why bother.

The way its worded most of these things could be 'nice to do' or 'advisory' rather than actually needing done. Certainly in the car world - the idea number of people fixing things has dwindled massively and the modern way seems to be to remove component and replace it rather than fixing/servicing/cleaning the part and refitting. What everyone else says is of course quite right - with your o/board it is a critical device on the boat - but the dealer knows that is how we all think and is selling you on the 'just-in-case' issue.