Old 13 September 2018, 18:42   #1

Town: cork
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
New Mercury 4 stroke

Anyone get one of the new 3.6l mercury 175/200 hp 4 strokes?

Anyone have any issues with Merc re warranties etc?
Old 16 September 2018, 20:57   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Doubt anyone has a 3.6... I think they’re 3.4L. One on order [emoji106]
Old 16 September 2018, 22:21   #3

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
One of my spearfishing buddies has one, unbelievable economy and performance. As for warranty, mercury have become one of the highest used by government bodies over here, water police, maritime etc.

Recently speaking with a comercial diver who's boat is rigged with twin merc 250's who claimed they are so popular among the comercial sector partly due to having far stronger gearboxes than Suzuki ( Yam were also good ). This comercial fishermen works on hooker ( air fed down a hose ) the boats don't anchor as the divers cover large areas of sea floor in search of abalone, while the skipper constantly keeps the boat in and out of gear to stay with the diver. This is also the case with small craft water police and maritime, lots of coming alongside boats for safety's and alcohol checks etc ( in and out of gear slow manovers ).

Both the comercial dive boats I mention are skippered by fully qualified outboard mechanics who both moved into comercial fishing simply because of the much higher profits. Keeping any comercial boat running in these situations day after day speaks heaps to me for their choice of outboard.

Mercury have been at the front of racing technology outboards for years, unfortunately their reputation from the early engines brought them the black anchor title. Funny enough though there are still plenty of those really old mercury outboards around.
Old 19 June 2019, 22:33   #4

Town: cork
Make: ribeye
Humber... did you get the Merc V6 in the end... id be interested in what you taught

I had mine fitted last month...

Yami 150.. WOT on a 17 pitch = 38/40 Knots, no load in boat and had to be fully trimmed up.. so some chine walking in cross wind

Merc 200.. WOT on a 19 pitch enerita, = 44/45 Knots.. and a bit of balancing on the trim.. as when fully trimmed up and no load in the boat she chin walks.. but when loaded same speed but no walking

fuel... id say the old 150 is using same amount of fuel as the 200 at WOT.. but the 200 at 3500 revs gets her on the plane and cruses at 30 knots.. so the 200 is better on fuel if in the 25 - 35 knot range.

Hole shot is way up.. id say half the time and no need to be majorly trimming to get her going.

noise... you can have a conversation with no shouting when planing at 30 knots and 3500 rev.

any issues / teething problems?