Old 03 April 2006, 14:44   #1

Town: Annapolis MD
Length: 6m +
New Engine Development

New Engine Development

Issue Date: 12/1/2005,

BRP, Malaysian firm sign engine deal

Bombardier Recreational Products has signed an agreement with a Malaysian fuel company to design and develop a new line of high-performance engines.

Under the terms of the agreement between privately held BRP and Petroliam Nasional Bhd, also known as Petronas, the engines will be manufactured at a BRP-Rotax facility in Gunskierchen Austria. BRP-Rotax is a subsidiary of Quebec-based BRP.

PETRONAS' venture into the world of motorsports has led it to gaining many spin-off benefits in terms of technology advancement and know-how, and resulting in technical deliverables such as the E01 engine, the GP1 motorcycle engine, the FP1, Malaysia's first superbike and finally, the K200 engine for go-kart applications. PETRONAS continues to seek cooperation with a strong partner who has vast experiences in engine technology and in engine commercialization.

BRP manufactures Johnson and Evinrude outboards, Sea Doo watercraft and sport boats, snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles, go-karts and direct engine technologies such as Evinrude E-TEC

I'm interested in relation to a new jetRIB concept I'm working on. Feel free to submit alternative engine/jet packages as well.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2006, 14:50   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Rotax are well known in Europe - they have been building engines for gokarts - microlights etc for many years - long before the takeover. Also used on military drones and numerous applications where small light engines are required.

Don't know anything about this new project but chances are it is just a progression of their exsisting work.

I am sure Rotax already make engines that may be suitable for what you want.
Old 03 April 2006, 15:18   #3

Town: Annapolis MD
Length: 6m +
Was there some durability issues with Rotax powered jet skis in the past?

Hasn't Rotax pulled out of the jet ski market for now? Maybe until it can conform to the new emission standards that seems to be forcing a number of other manufacturers to 4 cycle engines??
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2006, 18:47   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Not a clue but they have a brilliant name in aviation - which is pretty strict about problems!!!
Old 03 April 2006, 23:52   #5

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I have an Aprilia motorbike with a rotax engine so i keep up with some news there .
they were pushing very hard at 2 stroke technology and reports were that they were developing engines with aprox double the power of a 4 stroke and better economy for a given capacity . I understood it was a 2 stroke working on 4 stroke principles ie wet sump and valves rather than ports hence no total loss lubrication . It was also reported to be cleaner than a 4 stroke .
However not heard much lately about this and a new compact v twins are the in thing at present .